Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 03:26PM

Of course TBMS believe they represent the epitome of "right" behaviour in all aspects of life. They are, after all, God's annointed. Basically, most TBMs I know think their (you-know-what) doesn't stink. Something I found very useful in dealing with DH when he was a TBM -something that proved useful in bringing him to his senses, was pointing out the myriad ways TBMS fall short.

The recent thread on Mormon wedding invitations is a perfect example. Some people think proper etiquette is something wealthy, upper class people invented and or employ to be snooty. The real aim of proper etiquette is to teach people humility, avoid embarrassment, and put everyone at ease; it helps avoid unpleasant situations. It is a supreme act of selfishness to ask someone to give you a gift of any kind. It shows the person requesting the gift to be immodest and demonstrates a lack of humility. Why then, do Mormons think it's alright to put gift requests in wedding invitations? This is never acceptable.

More to the point of this post is that they need this pointed out to them...make them face the music so-to-speak, and perhaps it may cause a crack in their mental dam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 03:29PM

It probably won't be too long before the wedding invite has the link to the couple's Go*Fund*Me site, with a $25 minimum donation.

Posted by: uhhsoyeah ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 03:40PM

I like your thinking. If I ever get married again, this is what I'm going to do.

Not really. I'm not that tacky.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 03:48PM

LOL...I'm SURE that's been done!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 20, 2017 05:55PM

Well one problem is thinking that you have to invite all 35 of your classmates. When I was a kid, I did get some decent gifts, but I kept the invitation list to maybe 7 or 8 kids at the very most. Of course the parents are stressed if they are constantly sending their kids to children's parties and buying gifts for those parties. Not everyone in the class is going to be your very best friend.

If the mom in question is aggravated at the quality of gifts her son receives, maybe she should take the hint and dial back her own purchases.

And a note to parents -- if your child's class size is in the 30s or higher, your child is not getting a quality education. Up through grade 2, you want the class size to be no more than the low 20s. After that, mid-to upper 20s can work. By the time the class hits the 30s, it's like mass production with similar results. I once taught a class of over 40 kids!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 05:59PM by summer.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 08:41AM

it's satire....

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 01:04AM

I could not care less if the name of places they registered is on an announcement. It saves the time of having to text, call, email, or send a Facebook message asking if they are registered somewhere.

Registering for gifts has been a thing for a long time. More than likely, they are! I'd rather know right away, go online and contribute without having to contact anyone.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 21, 2017 02:08AM

I think a low-key note saying the couple is registered ( at City Creek, OF COURSE) is acceptable, but specifically asking a gift is Tacky:

LET'S GO SHOPPING!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.