Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gd ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 02:57PM

Besides all of the time and energy the Church required, I remember being told, "People are watching you". The pressure of it all was never ending.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2017 02:58PM by Gd.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 02:59PM

Recording angels watching all your moves, day and night.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 03:23PM

Yes, Mormonism is the main topic of interest to EVERYONE IN THE
WORLD! Either Mormons thinking about it 24/7 or non-Mormons
thinking about it 23/6. They spend all their waking hours
wondering about Mormons. So if YOU are a Mormon they'll be
watching you like a hawk.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 04:49AM

That's why I'm here as a nevermo.

I'm WATCHING you... (cue Psycho music...)

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 03:47PM

(Cussing) fuck you are triggering me big time right now.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 03:59PM

Angels above us are silent notes taking...

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 12:38AM

Just waiting to rat you out so God will mess up your life. If God already knows everything, why does he need spies?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 04:04PM

I remember thinking that hopefully, when they got to my 'tape', my judge(s) would be so jaded that I'd be given a pass, due to how wimpy my sins were.

Posted by: Anonish ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 05:12PM

I knew I didn't have a chance in hell of getting into heaven.

Posted by: Lilac ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 06:33PM

I'm sure there are some Mormons who wish this was the case. It's their form of mental masturbation thinking people must want so bad to be a member of that god-forsaken church. And that those people would join because of how righteous that member was.

The truth is, normal people don't give a flying flip what religion someone belongs to or what "influence" they have on others with their "righteous" behavior. I think Mormons secretly suspect this, so make a point of firstly letting people know they are Mormons. Because otherwise people wouldn't even care to question what religion they belong to. It's like the old joke: How do you know if someone is vegan? Oh, don't worry, they'll let you know.

I remember being told constantly that I needed to be an example to others outside of the church so they will want to join. Personally, it didn't feel like a natural way to act, like everyone was a target, so I never gave it a second thought. No one ever became a member because of me, thank goodness.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 06:38PM

If they record masterbaiting as a horrible sin my afterlife judgement might be a little awkward.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 06:48PM

Ceiling cat is watching you.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ceiling-cat-is-watching-you-masturbate.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2017 06:50PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 08:30PM

The cat is great!!! Lmfao!!!

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 07:05PM

Yes, we had peers, adults, angels, dead ancestors watching us. We Mormons were more important than other people, and more worth watching.

We had a lot to live up to (a polygamous cult founded by a lying con-man) and big shoes to fill, all right.

I grew up "in the field." What-the-heck did that mean? All of us Mormons were "missionaries" in the field, constantly trying to recruit. "Bring your friends!" I thought YW and the church functions were lame and nerdy, and I was to embarrassed to bring any friends. How to lose a friend: bring them to your lame, snobby, racist, nonsensical cult. Let your friends hear that the Mormons believe they are superior to them--right.

We were taught in our ward YW, to be assertive, to perform on the stage at school, be a cheer leader, run for student body office. Our YW president's husband became a GA. Three of the older girls were overly friendly and obnoxious, and they became cheer leaders and singers. Two of them married men who became GA's, and the third married a very wealthy, influential Mormon. The rest of us ordinary kids thought these girls were pushy and overbearing in their confidence.

I was "watched" by the other Mormons, because I came from a GA family. The non-Mormons didn't care what religion we were.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 23, 2017 07:53PM

There was a time I used to believe we were being watched over by celestial beings. Still do. Only in addition to that I've sometimes wondered if we're being observed from afar by some intergalactic scientists who see us as a human experiment. And we are its specimens, like amoeba on a petri dish. So yes, it is quite possible that our every move, even thoughts and breath, is observed by someone or something that is a much higher life form than anything we can comprehend or imagine possible given our finite understanding of the infinite.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 12:22AM

Where I lived in the Northeast, I was embarrassed to tell anyone that I was a Mormon. They either thought that you were polygamous or that you didn't like Black people.

30-something years ago, I lived in a town that found out about Mormons and Black people when a convert moved in with an African American wife(they had married before he converted). This was just a couple of years before the Ban was lifted. Well, friends of the wife spread the word around about Mormons and Black people, and nobody in our liberal area would sell them any land to build a chapel. They did sell land to the Jehovah's Witnesses, however, for their Kingdom Hall. After the ban was lifted, the church thought that things would change. But years later, everyone still remembered and refused to sell land to Mormons in the Whole County!Finally, the church leaders gave up and built the chapel in another county, forcing us to drive a ways to church.

You wouldn't think that one small town would care about the emotional pain of just one Black woman, but this woman was a nurse with a wonderful and caring character, and the community loved her. Mormons told her that their son could never hold the priesthood because he and she had been less valiant spirits in the Pre-existence! After the ban was lifted they reminded her that she was still inferior because of the Cain heritage branding her with low valiancy. I would never have converted to the church if I had had lived in that particular town of low caliber Mormons at the time I met the missionaries! The area where I had converted had members of much higher character, would have been much more careful about her feelings in spite of church doctrine.

Posted by: pj ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 09:55AM

That's a great story. People *were* watching them, just not the people the expected.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 12:49AM

My mother was fond of that one. Didn't help that she had a network that could rival the KGB when I was a kid.
Even to this day, I still am a bit paranoid about what people are thinking about me and whether they are capable of reporting me to my parents.
Nothing like paranoia to make members look like they're following orders.

Posted by: Joe the man ho & Brig the pig ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 05:24PM

Hahahahaha oh man badass! Mine too! In fact I bet the angels are treated to quite a few little x rated shows! LOL

Posted by: Joe the man ho & Brig the pig ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 05:26PM

But seriously do you guys think there are any Mormons who DONT masturbate? Just seems like the temptation would be pretty much next to impossible to resist

Posted by: Texmo ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 08:12PM

When I was a TBM at teenager at youth camp, I remember being taught that when we passed to the other side we'd all sit around watching videos of our lives on a big screen for all to see. As a teen I cringed thinking of some of the "naughty" things I had done and how embarrassed I'd be for everyone to see it. Now I think that indeed if that were true, after watching a few videos it would not only be extremely boring, it would also be apparent that none of us were perfect. Jesus told us not to judge, and yet the Mormon church tried to shame all of us by thinking would be judging each other's life's videos. The Mormon church is warped and twisted.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 08:24PM

Not only God, devils, angels, relatives and other assorted dead people are said to be watching you. That was creepy enough.

You are supposed to be setting an example every second because someone might be watching you to see what Mormons are like.
That was just one more layer of pressure.

Posted by: Gd ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 08:55PM

I think the over-arching layer. No wonder so many of us were hypocrites to some degree, going through the motions, etc.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 05:29AM

Yeah, I remember that, all sorts of fictitious creatures watching you, your facial expressions even, and listening to every word. That's bs, however some ward members are watching you getting up in your business. It just astonishes me now that I ever put up with that crapola.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 25, 2017 09:26AM

Because you're an evil sinner.
But god loves you and trusts you.
And omniscient god has a plan, which nobody can frustrate.
Unless you touch yourself.
Or your girlfriend/boyfriend.
That frustrates god's plan, and all the beings watching you will take note, so you better go confess to your bishop right now, 'cause you'll never get away with it.
But god loves you.
Which is why he has so many beings watching you -- to make sure you're worth loving.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.