Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 09:49PM

How many of you laggards are going to admit that you no longer do this (as the church encouraged and advised), or maybe even never did?

I started out by keeping copies of all the letters I sent family members. (Actually, now that we communicate via computer, this is easier to do.)

So, someday (after I'm gone), someone will have to go through my thousands of communications, just to make sure they didn't miss anything important--like my will.

Actually, as I have a few family heirlooms written down in a will, as to who should get what, should help keep family arguments to a minimum. (I have asked each what they would like most.) (The items I have aren't expensive, just valued as being family heirlooms.)

Also, when a grandchild gets married, I tend to give them one of the gifts I got at my wedding (such as glass-cut candy dish, etc.), which gift appears to be appreciated much more than something I could have bought for them today.

How about you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 10:15PM

My history is going public.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 10:32PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My history is going public.

oh Yay Don..... thats a very good thing.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 10:57PM

I'm working on a book. My life, thoughts and delusions from 1972 to 1982.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 10:47PM

I was keeping a lot of wonderful stuff for my kids. I had a lamp that I was keeping for my son. It was 2 1/2 feet tall and and in the likeness of a wooden Paul Revere (I think). I rewired it and everything. I bought a shade that sits straight with the help of a tire weight on the side that faces the living room.

Maybe that's why he's shunned me--it's the Paul Revere lamp.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 11:15PM

Heirlooms I have in abundance including books, journals, quilts, Afghans, old clocks, hand made furniture, cedar chests and odds n ends.

I have my Mayflower certificate.

I treasure my mother's diary. I wish she had written more. I lost her at age 2.

I have written very little of my own life.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 11:27PM

My Mom wasn't a hoarder, but she collected trinkets, knick-knacks, and all sorts of treasures from her lifetime of living. Dad did care much for it all, but when she passed away he wouldn't let any of it go. He kept the house like a shrine and thought that one day Mom would walk into the room once again and everything would be as it was. If one of us kids tried to help him de-clutter, he would pitch a fit and rescue our discards from the trash after we left.

I had a chance to talk to Dad about this collection of stuff shortly before he passed and he could remember where each item came from, who gave it to them, and why it was important. He felt strongly that someone in the family should cherish each piece and proudly display it just like he and Mon had done. I tried to gently tell him that none of us kids wanted any of it, but he couldn't hear any of that. So, we just left things the way they were until Dad passed away. We eventually sold the house "as is" with most of the treasures still in place.

As for the family records, journals, and histories, a family member took the time to transcribe the journals into something readable and made copies for each of us. I've yet to read them and frankly don't know if I will ever want to. None of that is important to me, but I have them in a box somewhere. I remember seeing a box of genealogy pedigree sheets, but nobody wanted it and I don't know what became of it. /shrugs shoulders

After seeing the end results of my Parent's possessions, I have greatly downsized and only keep things that are useful or a very few things that give me comfort to keep and look at. When I go, there won't be much left for my kids to throw away for me.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 11:33PM

Guns, who gets the guns....

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 11:42PM

I have hundred-year old punch bowls that I'm keeping for my granddaughters' weddings and then to give them the bowl as a gift. I used the bowls at their parents' weddings, so I'm hoping they become family traditions.

Vintage glass bowl decorum:

Don't carry a full bowl--take the punch to the bowl.
Don't shock the bowl--fill with punch first, then add ice.
Use plastic ladel--glass will chip the rim.
Never try to make Jello in it.
Don't let others wash it. They will try!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 24, 2017 11:48PM

I have the London Fog overcoat my mom bought me at Ronzone's, in Las Vegas, May of 1965, for my mission. If I live long enough, I'm giving it to my youngest mormon grandson, the only 'Lamanite' grandson among the four males (seven females).

It still fits me!

On this grandson's FB page, he had a photo of himself in his Sunday suit, looking very serious of mien, with the words printed next to his head, "I have a very particular set of skills and I will use them to find you, and I will teach you and I will baptize you!"

...so sad...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.