Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 11:00AM

New York Times article on Daren Palmer, faithful Mormon in Idaho Falls, who agreed this week to plead guilty in a $78 million dollar scheme where he conned his family and his fellow Mormons.

http://is.gd/inUQmH

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 11:17AM

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 11:24AM

we have acquaintances who lost their retirement.

Piss poor way to put IF in the NY Times...

Posted by: m ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 11:31AM

Mo-speak: The Church is true but some of the members are not.

No- the Church is the biggest ponzi schem of all with zero
return on your investment-open your eyes !
count those ten categories on your tithing slip and tell me why
tithing is not enough for that giant Corp?

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 12:28PM

I wished I had kept copies of all the news reports of these Mormon scammers. Affinity fraud is rampant in Mormonism.

Here is an excerpt from the article noted above in Richard's message.

'This week, Mr. Palmer, 42, agreed to plead guilty to federal criminal charges that he ran a $78 million Ponzi scheme, a rural Western version of the kind of fraud Bernard L. Madoff operated in New York. He faces up to 30 years in prison, though he is expected to receive far less.

The Justice Department has prosecuted dozens of similar so-called affinity fraud cases across the country in recent years. Yet here in Idaho, Mr. Palmer’s deception was remarkable for its scale, and its intimacy. His investors included his father, his brother-in-law, his neighbors, a car dealer, a builder whose son he coached in football, and others. Prosecutors say investors lost more than $20 million.

“A lot of people who invested are active members of the L.D.S. church,” said Wayne Klein, a court-appointed receiver working to settle claims. “They knew that Palmer was, and that gave them comfort.” ...'

'Officials at the Mormon temple in Idaho Falls referred calls to the church’s headquarters in Salt Lake City. A spokesman there would not comment on the Palmer case, but said that affinity fraud had been an issue within the church and that the church sometimes revokes the membership of those who commit certain violations, typically after criminal proceedings have concluded.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 12:29PM by Eric K.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 12:49PM

Val Southwick Ponzi Scheme - Bishop
Shawn Merriman Ponzi Scheme- Bishop

Anthony Vassallo "In California, the SEC said Vassallo told investors, many of whom he met in church, that he had developed a software program that allowed him to buy and sell options that generated profits of 3.5 percent a month with little risk."

Kleenmaid collapse - " What's more, chairman Andrew Young and his brother Brad were Mormons and that added to their image as upright and ethical members of the community."

Mortgage Fraud - Sentenced were Bradley Grant Kitchen of Provo, David R. Bolick of Sandy, Steve Wells Cloward of Orem, Ron K. Clarke of Provo, and Jeffery David Garrett of Provo.......... The men were indicted by a federal grand jury in 2007 on charges they conspired to create a multimillion dollar mortgage fraud scheme involving a Utah County development that was originally thought to total $18 million in fraudulent loans.
Ted James Johnson Jr-
Investors believed in Giles County businesses
People who gave money to Ted James Johnson Jr. said he seemed to know what he was doing......It was not the cost but the deceit that bothers him, Charles Wayne Gentry said gently from the witness stand Thursday in federal court in Roanoke.
He'd gathered his savings, sold his house and store and counseled his wife and brother-in-law to put in their inheritance -- $724,000 in all -- only to see the money disappear in the collapse of Mountain Investments and Dogwood Farms, two businesses run by a pair of Giles County financial advisers indicted last year on 42 charges tied to securities fraud....
Johnson's investors included fellow Mormons from Giles County and beyond, teachers and university professors, and businessmen.

A major Utah investment fund has collapsed, leaving more than 268 creditors owed $168 million.
Of that total, investors in the Waterford Loan Fund from Utah and 19 other states are owed $100 million, according to preliminary figures compiled by a contract manager for the company and attorneys. Assets were listed at $40 million.

Leticia Avila -

"Leticia Avila used her LDS Church connections and the promise of cooperation from a high-ranking immigration official to con $4,000 apiece from undocumented immigrants attempting to get legal visas, according to more than two dozen affidavits from victims.
Many of the alleged victims say what is most upsetting is that they were betrayed by someone who preyed on their religious faith. They trusted Avila because she was a fellow member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Spanish-speaking branch in Millcreek. In some cases, it was a local church leader who suggested they talk with Avila about becoming legal. "

Rick Koerber

"Federal prosecutors on Tuesday accused an Alpine man of defrauding investors in a multimillion dollar real estate scheme.

U.S. Attorney Brett Tolman said Rick Koerber collected more than $100 million from investors but spent much of it on expensive cars, restaurants, movie making and his own housing. Tolman announced a three-count indictment of Koerber on Tuesday.

The number of victims, most of whom live in Utah, could be in the hundreds, said Tolman. But investigators have yet to determine which of Koerber's investors are "purely victims" and who may have "facilitated the crime," he said.

Koerber, who dubs himself a "Capitalist, Mormon, Dad" on his Web site, could not be reached for comment Thursday. Koerber was an ardent backer and donor to the school voucher movement in 2007. "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 12:51PM by zeezrom.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 12:58PM

Charles Ponzi - Catholic
Bernard Madoff - Jewish
Enrique Osvaldo - Catholic
Freddy Villalobos - Catholic
Gerald Payne - Methodist
Lou Pearlman - Jewish
David Meyer - Jewish

Need I go on?

Ron

Date: May 27, 2011 01:20PM

and using their 'Priesthood' temple worthiness or leadership status as a means to influence victims to con?

When I was investigating the church it became clear to me that gullible members were relying on LDS Priesthood for answers to all of their problems and for opportunities to help them 'progress'.

In fact I felt sick seeing the gullibles flocking for so called Priesthood Blessings when the real blessing would be if they got the hell out of that mind warping institution! lol

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 02:18PM

Doesn't matter. All of them used friends, family and business acquaintances to build the pyramid. My only point is that it isn't endemic to Mormons only. We here on RfM often try to point at generic wrongdoings as being particularly offensive in mormondom. It's offensive anywhere it's found, not just in the church.

Ron

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 06:52PM

Yeah these cons are everywhere but these guys use their religious status as a means to con their victims. I find that to be an extra layer of evilness above and beyond what those Catholic or Jewish guys did (who don't selectively pray on the trusting members of their own religious communities)

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 03:01PM

Date: May 27, 2011 01:12PM

SALT LAKE CITY -- A Lindon man suspected of orchestrating a Ponzi scheme and defrauding investors out of more than $18 million pleaded guilty to wire fraud in federal court on Thursday.

Jeffrey Lane Mowen, 48, entered the plea as part of a deal with federal prosecutors. In exchange, prosecutors dropped two additional charges of wire fraud, as well as charges of solicitation to commit a crime of violence, tampering with a witness and retaliating against a witness.

Melodie Rydalch, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Utah, said though Mowen will be sentenced later, his penalty has already been determined.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 01:12PM

His investors included his father, his brother-in-law, his neighbors, a car dealer, a builder whose son he coached in football, and others. Prosecutors say investors lost more than $20 million.

Posted by: hotwaterblue ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 01:13PM

Grant Afleck took three of our neighbors for about $100K each back in the 70's. Paul Dunn was in attendance and the initial meeting of everyone of them. Fortunately all three of these men were not devastated financially but imagine how many were. Wow.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 01:14PM

I have friends who were sucked up into this mess and lost a lot of money. There are some who refuse to go public because they are so embarrassed. This kind of stuff has been going around as long as I can remember. I think Palmer started out legit and then with time got carried away with greed and converted his business into a Ponzi scheme.

Utah and Southeastern Idaho are ripe for the picking. And they always have been. The mentality of the victims is made for these vultures.

Posted by: profbam ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 01:22PM

It isn't just Mormons. You see similar Ponzi schemes that target southern Baptists, there was one in NJ that targeted Hassidic Jews and so on. Evil people pretend to be religious and the other members of their faith believe that they are upright people. Remember these are people who put extreme faith in a mythical being, so a little faith in a fellow (apparent) believer is no surprise. Then throw in a little greed and they are willing to pour money into these schemes. The guy cleaning up Bernie Madoff's scam found a number of people who were in another Ponzi scheme that he had cleaned up previously. Some people can't learn.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 02:00PM

Of course the con artists themselves are low life bottom sucking scum, but why are people so gullible and willing to be influenced by these folks and take the risks?

One might argue that their actions are rooted in good old fashioned greed...if that's true, what it is about the Mormon culture that establishes/encourages/reinforces that motive?

Just wondering...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 02:02PM by Lester Burnham.

Posted by: Scott ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 02:03PM

I knew nothing about the LDS church until I dated a Mormon woman who wasn't raised Mormon but married into it. I honestly didn't believe the stuff she would tell me about the church and Mormon life.

Fast forward a few years, and many hours of research into this cult. Yes, it is a cult. Literally, everything about the LDS is about money. It always has been about money since Smith originally started conning people out of money and into sex. The LDS is what happens when a con man starts a religion that becomes successful- it's a racist, homophobic, sexist, greedy, selfish organization that should be federally investigated into the claim it's actually a religion. This scam/cult needs to be shut down, their income back-taxed every year and all involved in any sort of fraud should be jailed to prevent them from stealing from the public.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 03:49PM

Daren's dad was a very wealthy man in Rexburg. The Palmer name, while not always liked, was definitely respected. Now, his dad is an old man with nothing left, screwed over by his own son.

Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.

Posted by: fallible ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 06:40PM

Defrauded family members, friends and neighbors for millions in a real estate related ponzi scheme. Some 'investors' lost their homes while others lost their retirement or all their savings.

Posted by: anon2day ( )
Date: May 27, 2011 06:57PM

Date: May 28, 2011 09:59AM

Utah Ponzi Scheme Revealed

His name is John Scott Clark, and according to the Securities and Exchange Commission, he’s a Ponzier. The Utah man and his two funds, Impact Cash and Impact Payment Systems, scored $47 million from gullible investors, including three hedge funds that should have known better.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: May 28, 2011 12:34PM

It makes sense to me. we trust the people we (think we) know. The thought also occurred to me that religious conversion also occurs primarily through family and friendship ties. I'm not at all surprised affinity fraud would use the same network.

Several years after I left Mormonism one of my friends tried to involve me in one of the psychological cults he had been paying to attend. I don't remember which it ways. I was going to graduate school at the time in counseling and when I started pointing out the problems in their "doctrine" and the manipulations they were using, he stopped being my friend. I don't know how he ended up but I hope his infatuation with it was temporary and short-term.

Oh, and he was doing Amyway, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2011 12:35PM by robertb.

Date: August 05, 2011 02:01PM

Just the tip of the Pyramid Iceberg

Val Southwick Ponzi Scheme - Bishop
Shawn Merriman Ponzi Scheme- Bishop

Anthony Vassallo "In California, the SEC said Vassallo told investors, many of whom he met in church, that he had developed a software program that allowed him to buy and sell options that generated profits of 3.5 percent a month with little risk."

Kleenmaid collapse - " What's more, chairman Andrew Young and his brother Brad were Mormons and that added to their image as upright and ethical members of the community."

Mortgage Fraud - Sentenced were Bradley Grant Kitchen of Provo, David R. Bolick of Sandy, Steve Wells Cloward of Orem, Ron K. Clarke of Provo, and Jeffery David Garrett of Provo.......... The men were indicted by a federal grand jury in 2007 on charges they conspired to create a multimillion dollar mortgage fraud scheme involving a Utah County development that was originally thought to total $18 million in fraudulent loans.
Ted James Johnson Jr-
Investors believed in Giles County businesses
People who gave money to Ted James Johnson Jr. said he seemed to know what he was doing......It was not the cost but the deceit that bothers him, Charles Wayne Gentry said gently from the witness stand Thursday in federal court in Roanoke.
He'd gathered his savings, sold his house and store and counseled his wife and brother-in-law to put in their inheritance -- $724,000 in all -- only to see the money disappear in the collapse of Mountain Investments and Dogwood Farms, two businesses run by a pair of Giles County financial advisers indicted last year on 42 charges tied to securities fraud....
Johnson's investors included fellow Mormons from Giles County and beyond, teachers and university professors, and businessmen.

A major Utah investment fund has collapsed, leaving more than 268 creditors owed $168 million.
Of that total, investors in the Waterford Loan Fund from Utah and 19 other states are owed $100 million, according to preliminary figures compiled by a contract manager for the company and attorneys. Assets were listed at $40 million.

Leticia Avila -

"Leticia Avila used her LDS Church connections and the promise of cooperation from a high-ranking immigration official to con $4,000 apiece from undocumented immigrants attempting to get legal visas, according to more than two dozen affidavits from victims.
Many of the alleged victims say what is most upsetting is that they were betrayed by someone who preyed on their religious faith. They trusted Avila because she was a fellow member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Spanish-speaking branch in Millcreek. In some cases, it was a local church leader who suggested they talk with Avila about becoming legal. "

Rick Koerber

"Federal prosecutors on Tuesday accused an Alpine man of defrauding investors in a multimillion dollar real estate scheme.

U.S. Attorney Brett Tolman said Rick Koerber collected more than $100 million from investors but spent much of it on expensive cars, restaurants, movie making and his own housing. Tolman announced a three-count indictment of Koerber on Tuesday.

The number of victims, most of whom live in Utah, could be in the hundreds, said Tolman. But investigators have yet to determine which of Koerber's investors are "purely victims" and who may have "facilitated the crime," he said.

Koerber, who dubs himself a "Capitalist, Mormon, Dad" on his Web site, could not be reached for comment Thursday. Koerber was an ardent backer and donor to the school voucher movement in 2007. "
New York Times article on Daren Palmer, faithful Mormon in Idaho Falls, who agreed this week to plead guilty in a $78 million dollar scheme where he conned his family and his fellow Mormons.

http://is.gd/inUQmH
SALT LAKE CITY -- A Lindon man suspected of orchestrating a Ponzi scheme and defrauding investors out of more than $18 million pleaded guilty to wire fraud in federal court on Thursday.

Jeffrey Lane Mowen, 48, entered the plea as part of a deal with federal prosecutors. In exchange, prosecutors dropped two additional charges of wire fraud, as well as charges of solicitation to commit a crime of violence, tampering with a witness and retaliating against a witness.

Melodie Rydalch, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Utah, said though Mowen will be sentenced later, his penalty has already been determined.
--------------------
Wayne Ogden from Ogden, Utah. Active LDS at time of multi-million dollar ponzi scheme.
--------------------
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filed a securities fraud lawsuit last month against Salt Lake City-based Art Intellect Inc. and its three principals, Patrick Merrill Brody, Laura A. Roser, and Gregory D. Wood.

In its original complaint, the SEC says Art Intellect, which operates under the name Mason Hill, collected more than $2.5 million from about 75 investors since April, 2009. The company reportedly claimed that the funds would be used to buy and rehabilitate distressed real estate in Ohio, Florida, and Kansas, and that the company would find renters for each of the properties. The properties were not identified in the lawsuit.

Investors, who were allegedly asked to submit a deposit of $20,000 per property, reportedly were promised returns of 10 percent to 30 percent, with monthly net rental profits of $650 to $1,000.

However, the SEC alleges that the funds were used for Mason Hill's operating expenses, as well as to pay for "lavish trips" and personal expenses for Mr. Brody and Ms. Roser. Funds from later investors also were reportedly used to buy properties and make payments to earlier investors.
--------------------
n March 23, 2011, it filed a complaint against Mike Watson Capital, LLC, a company based in Provo, Utah. The SEC also named Michael P. Watson, a resident of Mapleton, Utah, and Joshua F. Escobedo, a resident of Spanish Fork, Utah as defendants. According to its press release the SEC has alleged that Watson and Escobedo “raised more than $27.5 million from more than 120 investors through Mike Watson Capital’s issuance of promissory notes… Watson and Escobedo told investors that returns were generated by real estate investments, and backed by substantial equity and cash flow produced by company properties. In reality, the properties never generated sufficient income to cover investment interest or redemptions, and therefore investor returns were paid primarily from new investors’ funds.” The SEC alleged that the company owes more than $19 million in unpaid principal and interest on its promissory notes to investors, its real estate portfolio has tanked, and commercial banks have foreclosed on at least nine properties. This one looks pretty grim for the people who initially invested $27 million of their hard-earned money with these two Utah County guys -
-----------------------
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/51503972-79/investors-clark-complaint-payday.html.csp
A Hyde Park man has been accused in federal court of orchestrating a Ponzi scheme under the guise of an online payday loan company.

The Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday filed a complaint in U.S. District Court against John Scott Clark, 58, and his businesses, Logan-based Impact Cash and Impact Payment Systems. The SEC alleges that between March 2006 and September 2010, more than $47 million was raised from 120 investors who were promised lavish returns for funding payday loans.

According to the complaint, Clark sold securities through both companies that totaled $47 million. About $4 million of that allegedly was raised for equity investments in the companies, while the rest came from investors who agreed to provide capital to the companies for payday loans.
---------------

Raymond P. Morris, 42, of Draper, conducted an unregistered offering and operated the Ponzi scheme “at least” between March 2007 and January 2009. The scheme defrauded “at least 90 investors” and was a Ponzi out of the gate, the agency said.Three other Utah men, including attorney Luc D. Nguyen, 40, of Draper, helped the fraud spread by conducting no due diligence, recklessly repeating assertions made by Morris as though they were truthful and coming up with their own lies to drive money to the scheme, the agency alleged.Also charged were James L. Haley, 49, of Draper, and Jay J. Linford, 49, of Orem.
---------------------
PROVO - The aftermath of a massive Ponzi scheme that may have affected hundreds in Utah County has turned into a nasty tangle of overlapping court cases.
The questions are as basic as who is a victim and who is a perpetrator. And the answers likely won't come any time soon.
Prosecutors last October secured a temporary restraining order from 4th District Judge Fred Howard freezing over $2 million in assets belonging to several people connected with the California payday lending company Money & More.
Prosecutors in April filed an array of securities fraud and money laundering charges against five people: Larry O. Bosh, of St. George; D. Shawn Benson, of Ivins, Washington County; Michael J. Smith, of Mona, Juab County; David Q. Poulsen, of Salem; and Gale Robinson, of San Jacinto, Calif., the owner of Money & More.
-----------------------------------
SALT LAKE CITY (AP)-

A Utah money manager accused of running a multimillion-dollar Ponzi scheme has pleaded guilty to a federal wire fraud charge in exchange for a 10-year prison sentence.
Jeffrey Mowen entered the plea in Salt Lake City's U.S.
udge Dee Benson set sentencing for April 15.
As part of the plea agreement, Mowen will forfeit any assets gained from the scheme, including 29 cars that were not sold at public auction.
Defense attorney Stephen McCaughey says in exchange for the plea, prosecutors agreed to drop a murder-for-hire charge.
Prosecutors contend Mowen defrauded investors of millions of dollars and tried to arrange the killing of four witnesses. He was arrested last April in Panama.
------------------------
Former secretary of Murray painting contractor steals $1.3 million
July 23rd, 2011 @ 5:04pm
By Dennis Romboy

SALT LAKE CITY - A former secretary for a Murray painting contractor funneled more than a $1 million in customer payments into a personal account, according to a federal indictment.

Pamela Jane Madsen is charged in U.S. District Court with five counts of mail fraud and four counts of money laundering. Madsen worked for Professional Painting Inc., where her duties included payroll, data entry and preparing checks for deposit.

Prosecutors say Madsen created an account at U.S. Bank in November 2007 under a slight variation of her employer's name. For the next three years, she deposited customers' checks totaling at least $1.3 million into the account for her personal use, according to the indictment.

Madsen credited customers' accounts on the company's books to make it look like they had paid their bills, according to the indictment. Some of the checks came from two of the state largest general contractors, Jacobsen Construction and Big-D Construction.

The indictment seeks to seize from Madsen two pickup trucks, a BMW sedan, two snowmobiles and homes in Bluffdale and Taylorsville.
------------------------------------
SEC: Two Utah County Men Ran Ponzi Scheme
Ballard Spahr partner Brent R. Baker is representing one of two Utah men accused in federal court of running a $27.5 million Ponzi scheme. Mr. Baker's client is accused of posing as a broker for a Provo-based business, according to a complaint filed by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Mr. Baker said his client wasn’t aware that the business was running a Ponzi scheme and has been cooperating with the SEC investigation. He "is looking forward to putting this behind him," Mr. Baker said.
--------------------------

Utah Ponzi Scheme Revealed

His name is John Scott Clark, and according to the Securities and Exchange Commission, he’s a Ponzier. The Utah man and his two funds, Impact Cash and Impact Payment Systems, scored $47 million from gullible investors, including three hedge funds that should have known better.
------------------------
Provo councilman Steve Turley charged with felonies

PROVO -- After a year of complaints, doing their own investigation and raising Cain at Provo Municipal Council meetings, a group of citizens knew they were heard on Wednesday when the Utah County Attorney's Office charged Municipal Councilman Steve Turley with 10 second-degree felonies and his fellow elected officials asked him to resign.

The "exhaustive" official investigation from the Utah County Bureau of Investigations took into account complaints, Turley's activities on the Municipal Council and as a developer and landowner and a request from the city for an ethical investigation, although they only looked at possible criminal activity, not any ethical questions.

The evidence gathered supported seven counts of communications fraud, two counts of exploitation of a vulnerable adult and one count of a pattern of unlawful activity. This came a week after the group of 23 citizens again approached the city and asked for an investigation and the meeting itself devolved into mayhem.

Accusations

Those that made it through the county attorney's screening process may not have been the charges expected. According to documents filed with 4th District Court in Provo, the investigator obtained evidence that Turley "engaged in a course of conduct to defraud others or obtain money, property or other items by means of false of fraudulent pretenses, representations, promises or material omissions," through which he received property with a value of more than $5,000. Some of these will sound familiar; others may not.

Turley's activities started raising eyebrows most publicly in 2009, when he approached the city about doing reclamation work in Slate Canyon. He told residents and the Municipal Council that he had no interest in profits. The construction company with which he was negotiating, however, bought more than $1 million in equipment because of Turley's representations that this would be a significant mining project, according to court documents. When Turley was challenged about the amount of gravel to be removed, he told the council it was about a third of the amount he'd told the construction company; he also admitted he could profit from developing the land.

Other charges dealt with a two-year court case about a million-dollar tract of land in Diamond Fork Canyon. According to the probable cause statements, Turley in June 2009 presented a copy of a check for $2.645 million to the attorney for Trudy Childs, who owns 2,500 acres in Diamond Fork Canyon; Turley represented that those funds were available to enforce a 90-day option he held to buy the property. The county investigator found that Turley did not have the actual check, and the owner of the funds did not intend to allow Turley to use the money. Turley sued Childs two years ago to enforce the contract; the lawsuit has been tied up in dueling paperwork ever since. Turley claimed that he gave childs a 90-day, $30,000 loan and she gave him an option to buy her property if she didn't pay him in 90 days. She didn't; he tried to exercise the option. Childs claimed that she only intended to give him an option on 80 acres of her property and that he falsified paperwork to get all of her land.

That's not the only lawsuit that mixes in with the charges. One of the counts against Turley alleges that in November 2007, he had an elderly person sign over property using a quitclaim deed; he would then deed another property in exchange for that. The transfer of property never happened, and Turley then took out a loan using the man's original property, which has since gone into foreclosure. This is likely Ted Taylor's property, the Carpenter Seed building on South State Street in Provo. Taylor sued Turley early last year; he claimed he didn't intend to sell Turley the land on which his building sat and he also never got the townhouse that was supposed to be built on the land west of the store.

In another case, Turley sued the person he's now being charged with victimizing. Between Aug. 1, 2007, and June 30, 2008, Turley, while doing business with someone who is elderly and also reportedly has physical and mental impairment, "unjustly or improperly used or managed the resources of the victim by purporting to have her sign over her life lease on her residence without any compensation, and without her understanding what she signed, or if she signed," according to the documents. This is likely the case dealing with Deanna Thorn, who owned a home and Brand X Burger in Springville. He still has a lawsuit pending against her.

In June 2008, Turley met with the business owner, presumably Thorn, and negotiated with her to re-open a local restaurant in Springville, then he leased the same property to someone else at about the same time, according to the documents.

Several counts dealt with his property development. According to documents, in December 2006, Turley had a potential homebuyer sign a purchasing agreement raising the offer price of a home Turley was building to $265,000, but promised that the final price would still be $172,000. Turley then allegedly used the new agreement, absent the lower final price, to get an extension on a loan from the bank, which the bank would not have provided with the complete information.

In January 2007, while building two homes, Turley allegedly ordered cabinets for accessory apartments in the homes knowing that city zoning did not allow for accessory apartments, but told the potential homebuyers they were acceptable, which allowed him to charge more for the homes. He sold four of these homes; all later had financial difficulty and two were going through foreclosure.

Finally, in September 2007, a person moved into a home Turley owned, and Turley said he was going to deed the house to him. The documents state that deed was never recorded and couldn't be because Turley didn't have clear title to the home. He then listed that home as an asset in a loan application.

Turley was elected in 2003, re-elected in 2007 and is up for re-election this year; he is not running again. He is currently serving as a high council member in the Provo Bonneville Stake of the LDS Church.

Read more: http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/central/provo/article_341120bc-b8a7-11e0-a5e9-001cc4c03286

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 05:32PM

I worked for Pat Brody during his last con (1999-2000). He probably never did any real prison time and here he is caught up in another brand new con. In Utah the field is white and ready to harvest.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 03:10PM

Let's not forget R. Dean Udy, regional representative, now in prison.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 02:11PM

Affiliation fraud, affinity fraud. Something like that. Anyway, some friends of my wife are lawyers in SLC and that's all they do is find and prosecute these guys.

Date: August 05, 2011 02:37PM

No Priesthood Discernment then when he was being called to his Temple Recommend Interviews?

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 02:15PM

Like all con men, these pyramid schemers count on two things: Greed and laziness.

Greed so the victim eagerly gobbles up the bait and laziness for believing the neighbor/friend/family member instead of exercising some due diligence before investing.

Sadly, there is an abundance of both in TSCC.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 03:13PM

If there's ever a lesson you should learn early... It's that there are tons of asshats ready to separate fools from their money. Don't be that fool. Be skeptical of everyone who tries to pull this shit.

Posted by: Davo ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 08:28PM

This extends into the political arena too, and we keep RE-electing these scumbag types.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.