Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 06:48PM

ziller never made it higher in the Arronic priesthood than "Priest" ~

question ~ ¿ is ziller allowed to perform marriages ?

brb ~ too lazy / bizy to research Mornom scriptures ~

brb ~ it seems like this might be a good side-line business ~

brb ~ performing short-term marriages ~

brb ~ performing marriages good only in certain zip codes ~

brb ~ et cetera, et cetera and profit ? ~

in b 4 ~ RfM lawyers ~

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 07:40PM

Priests CAN marry people, but only in a baptismal font.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 07:58PM

I too never got past the ironic priesthood.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 08:01PM

Ziller, you should already know -- it's the state that determines whether or not you can officiate at a marriage. Not any church.

Church weddings may be big on ceremony & moralizing, but they have zero legal standing...unless the officiator has applied for and received a license to officiate marriages from the state.

And the best part: it's irrelevant what "priesthood" you hold or don't hold. Anybody can apply to the state. Almost everybody who applies gets a license. You can either put down a "church" you belong to, or you can make one up, or have none.

Go forth and marry, then.

After the state gives you the okey-dokey, of course :)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 12:43AM

An officiant has to be licensed by the state, but his/her/its/their performing the ceremony counts for nothing until and unless the marriage license is signed, and then registered at the appropriate government office. I was amused when I met my wife and the minister before our ceremony to sign the license (which precedes the certificate of marriage), and he informed me that we were, at that moment, "married."

There are common law provisions, such as captains of vessels, judges, elected officials and military superiors who may not be "licensed" but can legally tie the knot. If you're serious, Ziller, it's best to check with a county clerk, magistrate, or some such. Your mileage may vary.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 08:03PM

According to the Mormons you need to be a bishop currently presiding over a ward, and then, you can only marry couples who are in your ward (unless you get special permission).

You can marry someone if you go to the appropriate department in your county and obtain a temporary license to perform a civil marriage, using the guidelines they give you.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 09:39PM

Be grateful ziller giving blessings is weird, i gave like five and i was done. I was a priest for like 14 years but i decided to give the church a second chance and prove a point to my family and got the melchizidek but once i saw what went on in the temple i had to draw the line there. I was like ok this is too weird for even the badass.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 10:39PM

Remember, though, that bishop is an office of the Aaronic priesthood. The Bishop is the president of the priest quorum. The teenage priests called to leadership positions in the quorum are assistants, though, not counselors. Some old, half-forgotten doctrine about the full keys of the Aaronic priesthood belonging exclusively to the tribe of Levi. Dogma is that male Levites are born with the keys of the aaronic priesthood by birthright, and in the latter days non-Levites must be High Priests in the Melchizedek priesthood to exercise the keys to oversee a quorum of priests. Dogma is that if there is a real Levite in a ward, he has the right to be head of the priest quorum.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 10:41PM

And the senior, or oldest male Levite, is to be the Presiding Bishop of the church... Lot of money in that gig!!!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 10:44PM

Any marriage the priestly Ziller performs has just as much sealing power as a temple marriage. The Groom’s Boner.

Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 11:28PM

No, but you made me remember that when I was a priest I used to create all kind of blessings (because all the people said, prepare yourself to be an elder, elders can give super duper blessings), so I created all these blessings such as blessings to be attractive for women, to be good at sports, to stop being bald, to stop having smelly feet and all kind of funny things.
Most people laughed with my so-called "Priest blessings" but other saw me as if I was mocking The Notorious G.O.D.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 11:32PM

I too never made it out of Aaronic priesthood. And since LD$ Inc. still has me on their membership rolls I guess I am still a priest.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.