Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 01:29PM

For me it's the temple HANDS DOWN. Because real people are doing real death oaths and doing secret handshakes through curtains. I will watch friday the 13th, nightmare on elm's street, child's play and still not be as terrified as watching mormon temple stuff on youtube. Just imagine someone knocking on your door on halloween in the temple clothes, i would run and hide so fast it's not even funny. This holiday was definitely made for the cults. Everyone is scared of something, what scares you the most? I am kind of scared of spiders.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: luckylucas ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 01:55PM

I must admit that the circle prayer is really creepy, all that scene with people wearing strange clothes while repeating the prayer like soulless robots is just horrible.

Date: October 30, 2017 02:59PM

Agreed

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 02:54PM

I only had to do it one time, but my veil kept falling off so I was interrupting the prayer. BUT when I saw the prayer circle on Big Love, then it REALLY looked creepy.

Temple is much creepier than Halloween.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 03:02PM

Terrifying?
Neither.

Halloween is a lot more fun, though. And there's candy :)

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 03:10PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Terrifying?
> Neither.
>
> Halloween is a lot more fun, though. And there's
> candy :)

Agreed.
I was never terrified in the temple or at Halloween. Halloween is more fun. The temple, extremely BORING

Date: October 30, 2017 03:16PM

You are a braver man than i am that's for sure. I think ghosts scare me and that is why all the dressed up people in white scare me.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 03:39PM

I certainly can’t remember any Halloween experience that was creepier than the temple. Course I never went post-throat-slashing days.

Posted by: Joe the man ho & Brig the pig ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 02:18PM

I also am scared of spiders. I don't mind the little ones as much but tarantulas are the death of me! I cant even look at a picture of one without screaming. I have a very severe form of arachnaphobia more like " taranchaphobia" I hate it when I am watching a show and an unexpected scene with a freaking tarantula comes on! I even screamed in the theature at a tarantula scene! They REALLY need to warn people about scenes like that for example language, frightening images, nudity, tarantulas ya language, sexuality frightening images I can handle that but tarantulas? NOPE I'm outta there!

And ya I'm probably more scared of tarantulas than the temple but ya gotta understand I have a very deep level of fear when it comes to those creatures! The temples definitely still creepy and lucky Lucas YES the prayer circle thing really is creepy! I was pretty shocked when I watched that online! I can totally see Satan appearing to the Mormons in the temple sometime during the prayer circle. When I first saw it I thought it was very strange and totally not the religion I grew up in. Plus women have to veil there faces? Really?! How nice!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 07:02PM

I have never seen a tarantula in the nearly 30 years I have lived in NM, though my DH assures me they they do live here. I saw plenty of them growing up in Southern California.

Anything smaller is dealt with via the soles of my L L Bean fleece slippers. If the critter is way up on the ceiling or a high wall, my DH invented a "spider sauce," which has (I think) ammonia, vinegar and water in it, in a spray bottle.

Whatever it is, they don't like it, and when you squirt them with it, they come rappelling down to within reach of the Slipper of Death.

Date: November 01, 2017 07:15PM

What about scorpions? You have had to see scorpions in new mexico.

Date: November 01, 2017 10:21PM

Saw plenty of them while growing up in rural East San Diego County, CA.

Talk about boredom: One summer day, a bunch of us kids were playing in the crawlspace under a house that was being built. We found a nest of scorpions. I ran back to my house and grabbed up a handful of chopsticks.

My father had been in Hawaii during WWII, and learned from the locals how to use chopsticks. He insisted that I learn to use them, too.

So my buddies and I arranged "scorpion races," using some of the chopsticks to set up the race course, and others to pick up the competitors and put them on the course. The scorpions never quite got the hang of the "race" idea. They preferred to crawl over the barriers and fight with each other.

We didn't harm any of the scorpions. We eventually gave up, took our chopsticks back home, washed them thoroughly, and went bike riding or something.

My Dad always insisted that the larger the scorpion, the less likely it was to be seriously venomous, but I have no idea whether there is any truth to this. I have never been stung.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 02:21PM

doing sealings was really creepy. I couldn't understand why they didn't pull my husband aside, too, to do sealings. It gives a whole new meaning to your marriage if you go through 30 to 50 sealings holding hands with a guy you don't know who reminds you of someone creepy in the singles ward who stalked you. And you get to say "yes" over and over.

It was CREEPY. Halloween isn't my favorite holiday, but nobody showed up at my door last night who scared me. My neighbor was the incredible hulk. He really gets into every holiday. I laughed out loud when he walked into my yard.

Date: November 01, 2017 07:17PM

I need to make my place friendlier i only had one kid show up but i gave him a lot of candy.

Date: November 01, 2017 02:33PM

Oh my gosh! Those dealings DO sound creepy! Man if I ever get married a temple wedding is SURE not what I would choose! Your wedding day should be special too with ALL your loved ones there not just the "worthy lds ones" there plus you'd want it to be special and fun not all this "give everything to the freaking cult and say "yes" ok NEXT! crap!"

Date: November 01, 2017 02:35PM

That reminds me my friend met a guy in the singles ward once who was creepy and would come sit by her and put his face right up next to hers and chew his gum right in her face. Good times....good times!

Date: November 01, 2017 07:19PM

I am currently trying to forget my singles ward experience. I figure if i listen to music and play video games enough the memories will go away. It kind of works.

Date: November 01, 2017 07:17PM

The first time I went, I was pretty tired from an all-night bus trip, so my memory wasn't firing on all cylinders and it was all kind of blurry.

But I do remember thinking, "This is NOT worth all the hype!!"

You have to pay all your tithing, attend those classes, be worthy to get through those interviews, and for WHAT? A boring movie, some out-dated Marriott furniture with a bunch of mirrors, some chanting and hand-waving, and fooling around with the clothing they give you (and a temple worker in your face if you get any of it wrong.)

It wasn't scary, but WAY over-rated.

Date: November 01, 2017 07:21PM

It sucks that it is overated i expected something so much better.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.