Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 05:41PM

Do people from El Paso actually attend the temple in Juarez? A few years ago it was considered dangerous to go there. Has that changed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xxMMMooo ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 06:42PM

It is somewhat dangerous in certain spots, but you just have to be careful. Mainly it's a pain going back and forth across the border. I think mostly Mexican members would use the CJ temple.

I thought there was a temple in El Paso but apparently there is not one yet.

Posted by: xxMMMooo ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 06:43PM

Not to be confused with the Colonia Juarez temple which is in a different location about 100 miles away ... more of a rural area.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 06:49PM

There's a temple in Juarez? I grew up in El Paso and left in '77. The idea of a temple in Juarez certainly takes me by surprise. Are there even any tithe-paying members there?

In the '60s and early '70s, "J-Town" was where many Aaronic priesthood worthies went to drink and smoke after Saturday evening church ball games. All performing sacrament duties the next day. It was a different era. Juarez was safe and when mission time rolled around, tolerated youthful indiscretions were forgiven as boys being boys sewing their wild oats. I only know one guy who was denied and exed for what he did.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 10:44PM

I graduated from NMSU in Las Cruces NM, about 40 miles north of Juarez.

When people asked where Las Cruces was, we'd just say it was a suburb of Juarez, they seemed to get it.

Date: October 30, 2017 06:57PM

Additionally, it's surprising that CJ has a temple but EP does not. Where to they go? When I was there it was to the Mesa temple.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 11:40PM

It was certainly cheaper to build the temple in CJ. Mormon God is thrifty when needed.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 10:31PM

I know of a couple in my extended family (TBM) who live in El Paso and were temple workers in the CJ temple. He had to shave off his life-long mustache to accept the calling.
Then it was crossing the border several times a week to work in the temple.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 12:13AM

Well I grew up in Lordsburg NM.

Juarez was our mecca for misbehavior.

Some of the memories I can actually remember.

BTW, good to see you Void. LTNS.

Date: October 31, 2017 01:03AM

Pity the high councilors and such of the day. The stake stretched from Lordsburg to Hobbs, Van Horn to TorC. Or was it Socorro? It's been so long in years and life path, I don't remember a lot of it now. I do remember Romney Produce...

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 10:42AM

The San Diego Temple originally served stakes in northern Baja California. Twenty years later, the Tijuana Temple was built. As others have mentioned, cheaper to build than in USA, though I suspect long waits at the border (2-3 hours not unusual) had more to do with it.

Date: October 31, 2017 11:43AM

There was a Romney produce outlet in Lordsburg.

Dear dad got the rotten stuff for hog feed.

Date: October 31, 2017 11:47AM

We had to drive 75 mi to Safford AZ for stake conf.

Silver City had to drive to nearby Deming for theirs.

Mormon gerrymandering.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 01:12PM

Be fun to know how many cars and tires have been worn out buggering off to another snoose feast conference and meetings that accomplish nothing more than planning another meeting...what a total waste of life...but then again...so is working

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 08:46PM

I've heard all kinds of stories and warnings....from DEA agent friend, other, about not wanting to be anywhere near Juarez.

About four years ago after I separated from my wife, I got bored during the holidays wanted some excitement. Went down to Juarez for new years (no, I did not visit a brothel)....it was a blast. People were nice, felt safe the whole time, it was just cool.

I visit Mexico a lot. Never felt unsafe. Helps I'm fluent in Spanish, I guess, but I remember hearing about people from the US had stopped attending the temple down there. Pussies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.