Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:05PM

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865694033/Mormon-teens-to-have-greater-opportunities-for-temple-service-in-2018.html

"Beginning Jan. 1, young women ages 12-18 now may assist with tasks in the temple baptistry currently performed by adult women serving as temple ordinance workers or volunteers.

Ordained priests ages 16-18 will be able to perform baptisms for the dead and act as witnesses for baptisms."

"The First Presidency also announced a change for 11-year-olds.

The annual priesthood preview meeting to introduce 11-year-old boys to the priesthood will now become a combined temple and priesthood preparation meeting for 11-year-old girls and boys.

According to information now published at primary.lds.org, the purpose of this meeting is to help children understand the blessings of temple service, priesthood service and making and keeping covenants."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:10PM

WOW

WOW

JUST WOW

Yea, they are doubling down

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:10PM

Interesting that the boys and girls will be doubling up on preparatory classes, without any intention of allowing girls into the priesthood.

Same old same old. Different day.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:13PM

So the Aaronic priesthood can now perform baptisms for the dead?

Will they also get the first sign and tokens of the Aaronic priesthood?

Posted by: jstone ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:15PM

Stop pointing out contradictions you.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:17PM

They're having a hard time getting adult "temple volunteers..."
So they have to recruit teenagers.

Hehe.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:20PM

"Beginning Jan. 1, young women ages 12-18 now may assist with tasks in the temple baptistry currently performed by adult women serving as temple ordinance workers or volunteers."

What tasks exactly? Picking up wet towels while the boys perform sacred ordinances?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:23PM

Imagine how rewarding the kids will find the temple. . .

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:27PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Imagine how rewarding the kids will find the
> temple. . .

Boys! Lucky you! You get to stand in dirty cold water for hours on end, dunking people for dead people over and over and over! Isn't that special?

Girls! Lucky you! You get to get dunked by the boys over and over and over, while they secretly stare at your figure under your wet baptismal clothes! And then you get to pick up dirty towels, mop the floors, and empty the trash cans!
Isn't that special?

Yeah. Rewarding.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:29PM

Giant snooze-fest for kids. I think this may have the opposite effect they are hoping for. Too much temple service work and the kids will run for the hills. I also suspect that they are having too hard a time getting adult volunteers so they are forcing youth recruits that cannot say no to their local authorities. I pity the poor parents that will have to drive the long distance kids who will be called to serve from hither and yon.

I noticed in Rexburg that priesthood leaders were being called to serve in student wards from as faraway as Wyoming.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:48PM

I agree. This is going to rob the temple of its allure, make it seem dreary and boring rather than something you should (you really should) honor and love.

The temple is something an adult can only enjoy if s/he is high or entering senility. Kids generally still have their faculties, so this will be counterproductive.

Posted by: oregon ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:29PM

Pretty soon, you will be instructed to drop off your 8yr old at Church camp and never to be seen again until 21 yrs old and after a mission.
You will get zombie mormon back.
What a sick and twisted cult - actually cult is too nice of a word I am thinking - SS - NAZI

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:33PM

I know people think we go too far when comparing TSCC with Nazism but the Hitler Youth Program did have a lot of similar characteristics.

I wonder if they will soon be encouraging the youth to turn-in their parents for things like non-payment of tithing, non-attendance at church, etc. I can see them shaming the kids for their parents behavior since the adults are becoming immune.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 10:17PM

They already do. Why do you think they interview youth 4 times a year of more?

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 11:08PM

In Primary, my little children were instructed to Urge me their father to get married in the temple. We were legally married, were moral and decent, and never had sex before we were married--yet the Primary shamed our children by telling them if they didn't persuade us to get married in the temple, that we all would be alone in the hereafter, and not a "forever family" like the other Mormon families.

Forcing children into the Mormon temples is obscene. To me, the temple represents "the new and everlasting covenant = it means polygamy in the hereafter!" The undressing is nastier than an adult gymnasium.

Innocent children might get their belongings stolen from the temple lockers!

Maybe the matrons need more people to shush and boss around. I think the people, the attitude, the focus on death, and the whole atmosphere would be very depressing and damaging to children.

TSCC will force adults into temple service, because they will give in and do the work, rather than just drive the kids there and wait in the car for 3-4 hours.

Will children work on school nights? After school? Temple work on Saturday, while their friends are all playing soccer and baseball, and helping mom and dad around the house? My children had after school jobs, school, and sports--where would these children find the time?

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 10:00PM

Around here the youth won't do baptisms for the dead unless the bishop treats them to a buffet afterwards. Don't see how this will change anything.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 11:11PM

That seems to the trend in my Idaho ward as well.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 10:05PM

Like this is really going to help the morg keep the youth! Odds it'll make them leave in droves!!!

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 10:08PM

This smells of desperation. We all know they're having trouble rounding up "volunteers" to work in their temples, or to run their wards and branches for that matter. And they've built 159 of these eyesores, arrogantly assuming that millions of Mormons around the world would flock through the doors. What an incredible waste.

Posted by: oregon ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 10:52PM

12 yr olds in baker hats...oh imagine the selfies posted on FB...lol

Posted by: Topped ( )
Date: December 15, 2017 02:17PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.