Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 02:07PM

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2011/05/27/world/europe/20110527ARK.html?WT.mc_id=NYT-E-I-NYT-E-AT-0601-L028

If they want to be such literalists, they should fill it up with real animals and their feed and set sail with the same size crew as Noah's and return and report.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 02:14PM

Doesn't say if this float or not. I suspect mightily that it doesn't. How would they get it to London or Galviston.

It's not about the $1.2 million in profit. Sure.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 02:23PM

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 02:27PM

... cubits?

Timothy

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 03:45PM

How did Noah get one of those? God had a time machine?

Watch for the apologists steal that idea for a reply to my "Great Lehi Boatbuilding and Sailing Contest."

Oh well, they smoke a lot of you-know-what in the Netherlands, so the ozone crowd will likely find it entertaining without engaging in any critical thinking...

Posted by: m ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 03:50PM

Didn't the Mo mothership jump on to the Thor Hyerdahl crossing
of the ocean back in the 60's?

If Thor could do it - the jaredites could do it or some bs like that.

Date: June 01, 2011 04:42PM

On a mission... Sorenson is the BYU whackjob who perhaps first originated the LGT, spoke of Nephites riding into battle astride their might tapir chargers (or perhaps rode behind them in chariots with wheels found nowhere else in the New World), and later teamed with hyper-diffusionist/fringer Carl Johannessen promoting non-existent evidence of pre-Columbian Old World/New World contacts...

Mormon apologists like to promote that one because Johannessen is a non-Mormon...

BTW, the "success" of the Kon Tiki was greatly exaggerated; they crashed on the reefs near Tahiti and had to be rescued; Heyerdahl claimed victory nevertheless...

Similarly, his two "papyrus ships," the Ra I and Ra II were built with reeds from a lake high in the South American Andes, a not particularly realistic scenario (unless Von Däniken's space ships were involved). The Ra I was an utter failure; the Ra II did enter the harbor at Barbados in the Caribbean, but it was no longer seaworthy by that time...

Heyerdahl was essentially a Norwegian who felt Christopher Columbus cheated Leif Ericson and the Vikings of what was rightfully due them...

And his ideas of ancient mariners and trade are regarded as nonsense by an overwhelming majority of mainstream scholars...

I've noticed an odd thing every time I post this information; The silence is long, protracted, and noteworthy...

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 04:51PM

Thor Hyerdahl's voyage seems backwards for a BofM argument. Wasn't he inspired because of the sweet potato? It was domesticated in America but found in Polynesia. I could never connect that people came to America from the Middle East because the sweet potato is found outside of America.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 07:08PM

i don't remem that, but I do fondly remem reading the book as a youngster!

Date: June 01, 2011 07:35PM

You can read his book online if you are interested. It is still fun to read.

http://www.archive.org/details/KonTiki

Date: June 01, 2011 08:48PM

There's also the possibility of contact between Polynesians and South America circa 1200 C.E. or so... Initiated by they Polynesians who did have the technology for such voyages (developed via island hopping and knowledge of ocean currents and star locations).

The "Polynesian Chicken" argument suggesting a landfall in Chile is still being waged... That one involves DNA sequences...

What Heyerdahl had absolutely wrong was suggesting South Americans were the ancestors of Polynesians...

Date: June 01, 2011 09:06PM

Thanks Cabbie.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 03:51PM

Oh . . . wait . . . that's a different fairy tale. Sorry. It's so easy to get them mixed up, ya know.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 04:04PM

Further, his ark interior does not have the rivers of animal shit that must have plagued ol' Noah.

Finally, I hope Mr. Huibers tries to take that unseaworthy boat to Galveston. He just better be sure he's wearing a life vest.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 05:03PM

The builder is all "dollars" and no "sense".

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 07:07PM

don't hold your breath :-)

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 07:14PM

Posted by: Arthur Dent ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 07:34PM

Wow, that's cool. The last picture is particularly impressive -- it's just like all the ark pictures you see, but really big.

Yes, it's a fairy tale, and yes it's a little disturbing that the guy who built it believes the story of the ark is real. But it's still cool.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 07:40PM

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 08:36PM

How many of these arks are guys like this going to build?

I agree. If they want to really impress people it needs to be anchored at sea and loaded down with animals.

Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 08:39PM

...sail to London and Galveston. Hope he has some lifeboats and life vests.

"In 1909 the schooner Wyoming was launched from the Percy & Small shipyard in Bath, Maine. She was the state-of-the art in wooden hulled shipbuilding. She was a six masted schooner and, at 329 ft., the longest ship with an all wood keel and hull ever built. She was the last of nine wooden hulled, six-masted schooners built between 1900 and 1909, and one of seven built by Percy & Small. All were 300 ft. or more in length. They were all state-of-the art.

The Wyoming had 90 steel crossbraces. Even while she was yet on the drawing boards the marine engineers who designed and built her knew from experience with shorter ships that the length of the Wyoming would exceed the structural limits of wood. For this reason they attempted to defeat, or at least support, the laws of physics and the principles of marine engineering with steel. It was to no avail. Not even the steel bracing could prevent the flexing and twisting that resulted in the separation of the hull planking. The Wyoming required constant pumping, as did her sister ships. The Wyoming leaked from the day she hit the water until the day, 14 years later, when she foundered and broke up off of Monomoy Island while riding out a storm at anchor.

It is said that she could be seen to snake (movement of the bow and stern from side to side in relation to the midship) and hog (movement of the bow and stern up and down in relation to the midship) while underway. The action of the waves, in even calm seas, caused the planking to be sprung beyond the capabilities of any calking that could be devised."

http://www.4forums.com/political/creation-intelligent-design-vs-evolution/775-noahs-submarine.html

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 10:39PM

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 11:03PM

I like the picture of the grizzly bear standing next to the zebra. Nice. That might have caused a bit of a commotion. And who shoveled the scheiss?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.