Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 01:38AM

Ok I found out that this wacko was a 33 freemason and involved with the occult? No wander Mormon temples look so strange!freemasonss are very top secret about everything they do! Sounds like Mormons haha!but of course missionaries and active Mormons won't tell you this

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 07:09AM

he was a freemason, but not a 33rd degree mason, only the standard 3 that most freemasons complete, all the way up to master mason. To make it up to this legendary 33rd degree he would have to have at least been the grandmaster of his lodge with much respect from other lodges.

Everything above master mason is a modern invention (ie after first english lodge to go public in 18th century) and I doubt very much that joey boy reached anything like that level of prestige amongst a community that contained predominantly non-mormons.

The blacked-up faces of the 'mob' that assassinated him was masonic, so was tarring and feathering a masonic punishment for breaking the rules and bringing the brotherhood into disrepute.

The church does document somewhere (someone will know references) that joey claimed the 'sublime degree' was master mason and he also claimed it was originally the 'endowment' ceremony he was re-establishing in the 'temple'. According to joey boy, the masonic rituals were once 'sacred' but they (the masons) has lost their authority from 'god' and corrupted the ritual. Hence, he claimed that god told him to undergo the 3 degrees, then adapt them, and endow all worthy members of the 'church'.

Conspiracy theorists are sometimes too willing to believe everything they read. There is no way on God's green earth that joey boy made it all the way to the top of the masonic ladder, where members find out they are worshiping lucifer rather than jehovah. Myself, I love a good conspiracy but there are a lot of 'conspiracies' that get carried away, like joey boy being a 33rd degree mason and in a position of authority over freemasons world-wide.

Regarding his practice of 'folk magic': there is much more evidence of his occult practices that other posters have previously discussed in great detail, especially the 'jupiter talisman' that was found on his possession when he was dead, and other talismanic/occultic items in the family for performing ceremonial magic, like the 'mars' dagger passed down from daddy smith to hyrum.

I'm pretty sure plenty posters can give you links to proofs of these matters from lds church writings. The newest being the admission of joey 'scrying' to 'translate' the book of mormon. If he did scry through his hat and 'istone' then the book has as much prestige as 'the book of the law' which was 'automatically dictated' to aleister crowley, who used to call himself 'the great beast 666'.

Of course, if he made it all up himself the 'translation process' was just for show and obviously not through the power of 'something', and definitely not from 'the creator'.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 05:34PM

My grandfather, whose name I bear, was a 33rd degree Mason of the Scottish Rite and I have his degree from 1907 hanging in my office.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 04:55AM

complete with the date in hebrew years? He must have been much respected in the area to be raised to the 33rd degree. Of course, every time your degree is raised, your 'dues' get raised too, so I will assume your grandfather was a wealthy man.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 09:27AM

crazyhorse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... but of course missionaries and active Mormons won't tell you this

They can't! They don't know anything.

Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 04:06PM

Nope it is all about keeping the truth quite! But we won't be, everytine I see missionaries I think they will lie to many people as they can! So they can go back and brag and marry, get sealed and have more babies!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 07:39PM

Right...

Sorry, this place is visited by some of the most knowledgeable "Ex-Mormon Scholars" around, and your knowledge of freemasonry is marginal at best.

Each lodge operated independently, and even though many of the early Mormons practiced masonry for a time, they abandoned the practice when they arrived in Utah. In the Utah lodge, until the 1970's (off the top of my head; somebody want to check that date) one could be any religion at all except a Mormon...

The large number of similarities between Masonic symbols and Mormon ones is easily explained by JS's borrowing them for his own ends. And yes, as a teenager Smith was involved in "glass seeing" and water dowsing--occult practices--but that is just evidence of his personality disorder (a likely combination of narcissist and sociopath tendencies).

SLC
Tired of dealing with paranoia about freemasonry;
It hurts the credibility of the Exmormon cause, honest.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2018 10:27PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 11:06PM

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 05:21PM

I have hear that he was a 32nd degree Mason but I cannot verify that

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 07:55PM

Freemasons ? Tell us about the other masons that aren't racists.

Date: January 28, 2018 10:50PM

This subject is another I haven't researched in-depth, but here's a bit of background...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Hall_Freemasonry

And what looks to me like reasonable history:

http://www.masonicinfo.com/racism.htm

>While there was no specific prohibition against Blacks in Freemasonry then or now, there was a phrase in the Masonic obligations that required a candidate be "free-born". This requirement harkened back to the days of apprenticeship where a new apprentice was not accepted unless he was free from bondage. Regrettably, this restriction - mirroring other such restrictions in society in the United States at large - was used to restrict membership of Blacks.

In the back of my head (from a paper I once wrote on "Bigotry in America"), I recall that Masonic lodges "below the Mason-Dixon line" were decidedly racist, but the practice of excluding blacks wasn't practiced in England, apparently.

Incidentally, the following U.S. Presidents were freemasons:

George Washington, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, James Polk, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, James Garfield, William McKinley, Teddy Roosevelt, William Taft, Warren Harding, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Gerald Ford

That's a pretty diverse list with Washington and both Roosevelts making most historians "Top Five" lists, and Buchanan, A. Johnson, Taft, and Harding being among the "cellar dwellers." Personally, I would put Andrew Jackson there as well--as did a British journalist I just watched on YouTube, but that would probably lead to another fight, and I've already got a couple of "Road Rage Relief" dishes on the stove.

Date: January 28, 2018 10:57PM

http://www.32nddegreemasons.org/what-is-the-scottish-rite/the-degrees/the-33rd-degree/

>The 33° is conferred upon those members of the 32° who have been outstanding in their contributions to Freemasonry, the Scottish Rite, or who have shown in their communities the leadership which marks them as men who exemplify in their daily lives the true meaning of the Brotherhood of man under the Fatherhood of God.

>It cannot be sought by application, but must be such a man as described above who has been selected by the Deputy of his state.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 11:34PM

Joseph wanted to be everything. Mason, a general, a mayor, the president, a god, a polygamist. The guy was a little bi-polar with delusions of granduer to say the least.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 03:44PM

Smith and his brother received the grade in record time, which means that most likely some $ exchanged hands.
Smith later complained about people selling signs and tokens for cash.

True to form, Smith also 'married' the widow of a mason who had been killed by masons for betraying secrets.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 01:05AM

Joseph Smith was a Mason. The Mormon temple endowment is based on Masonic ceremonies. We've had some exmos post on the board who are also Masons.

I toured a building that used to be a Masonic temple, and I can tell you that no Mormon temple could possibly match it in terms of its artistry and décor. The intricacy of its carvings was incredible.

Posted by: MsAlabama ( )
Date: January 21, 2023 06:01AM

Have you ever been inside of a Mormon Temple. They are very intricate and thought out. They look exactly like Masonic Temples.

Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 04:38PM

Thomas Paine, the author of The Age of Reason, wrote a book called The Origin of Free-masonry.

It is interesting. In his opinion there is much from the religion of the Druids in Free-masonry. I learned a lot about Free-masonry and Druids from the book.

Posted by: Anon Mason ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 02:22AM

I’m a Freemason (Past Master of my Lodge) and an ex-mormon. Joseph Smith became a Master Mason in Nauvoo and “revealed” the endowment about 9 week’s later. He was NOT a 33rd degree Mason, nor, to my knowledge, did he progress past the Blue Lodge masonry of the first three degrees.

His supposed last words were Masonic in nature and not a prayer to God. He understood that there were masons in the mob and was entreating them for help and/or letting them know that he was a mason.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 11:09AM

I am dating someone that is a Mason. It makes him happy so I am ok with it, but it screams Mormonism to me with all the ritual and secrets. I would love to know your thoughts.

Date: January 31, 2018 01:25AM

The rituals are a connection to the past and allegorical in nature. Masonry is NOT a religion. It has no religious dogma and all creeds are welcome. One must profess a belief in deity, but that is all. I know masons who claim nature as their deity. There are branches of masonry where Christianity is professed, but not in the original “Blue Lodge” three degrees of Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft, and Master Mason.

Joseph Smith took many things from masonry and wrapped them in religious dogma to create the temple endowment. Many of those things have since been removed.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 08:18AM

I appreciate you telling me sharing that information. I was a little worried.

Date: January 31, 2018 11:54AM

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 12:25AM

Are masons and Freemasons the same thing? Are they like the Shriners? I know a lot of those type of groups are hard to get into; they don’t just let anyone in.They also do a lot of good stuff for the community and fund raisers too. Sure, they have their little ceremonies, like a lot of groups.
Isn’t that what Fred and Barney belonged to ? (Flintstones)
I remember an old episode of “Avonlea ”where Felix was going to join them to please his dad and friends in the village when he was of age , but think he changed his mind or something.
It was a very good Canadian series that lasted 7 seasons. It took place right after “Anne of Green Gables “.
“The wind behind my back “ was another good series.
That took place during the depression, but on the mainland though.

Date: January 31, 2018 01:28AM

Masons and Freemasons are two names for the same group. Shriners are a Masonic organization that focuses on charity work and operates the Shriners Children’s Hospitals.

Posted by: wronginfo ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 11:33AM

Since the subject line is patently false wouldn't it make sense for the admins to update it? I'm no fan of Joseph Smith but I am a fan of facts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.