Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Xanthe ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 04:34PM

Where's the music, food, cultural celebration, engagement in the congregations, community bonding, fun activities, laughter, ANYTHING?

Why does it feel like I have my soul drained every week I attend church?

It's not even a matter of me not believing it anymore, it's just...so boring. Maybe people would enjoy church more if it was actually vibrant and engaging.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 04:40PM

They all follow similar life plans and tend to act and think alike. Laughter, fun, and individuality are curbed, so they turn into walking, talking cardboard puppets going through the motions of living bland lives of sacrifice.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 04:54PM

It didn't used to be.

Back when they openly admitted they believed men become gods and that polygamy would be practiced in heaven (on Kolob) and that the garden of eden was actually in Missouri. All that sort of stuff.

Back then they did have food and roadshows and balls.

It seems like when they quit admitting what they really taught and believed, everything else dried up too.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 11:27PM

jane Wrote:

> Back then, they did have food and balls and roadshows.

Boring apples don't fall far from boring trees.

A lovely 30turd degree Mason admitted to me today that he had left off going to Lodge since it bored him.

Since the boring Moron Church is directly off-sprung from rebungnified Freemasonry, how can we hope for a child not equally dull.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 05:29PM

I think boring people are attracted to such a boring church.

I have had very little actual contact with the Mormon church. I've gone to one sacrament meeting and that stupid Gladys Knight "concert." What a freakin' bore! OMG.

All the Mormons I know are mild-mannered, pasty-white, self-satisfied, conservative bores.

I think the missionaries go after the vulnerable and/or desperate and then eventually any converts who actually have a personality get bored and fall away.

Posted by: waunderdog ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 06:24PM

CateS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think boring people are attracted to such a
> boring church.

And the interesting & fun people tend to leave, so it gets more boring, which drives away more of the interesting & un people, and so on.

Posted by: corallus ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 05:52PM

I've always thought the celestial kingdom sounds absolutely boring. It irritates my wife when I say:

"If the celestial kingdom is everyone standing around in white with their families praising God, no thank you."

Actually it was this combined with watching the predictable, expected pattern people were following around me and realizing that I didn't want to follow that same old pattern.

Like the final lines of the famous Frost poem...

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

I want to enjoy my life while I live.

Posted by: uhhsoyeah ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 01:48AM

I always thought the CK sounded boring, as well. When I was a kid, I was taught that the lowest level of mormon heaven (terrestrial kingdom??) was just like Earth today, and I decided that I would shoot for that level since all the fun people would be there. Really, the CK sounds like my hell.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 06:08PM

Part of the difference, IMO, is the fact that the year 2000 came and went with no return of Jesus. The LDS church really did believe that they were in the Last Days, and that the very Last Day was absolutely going to be Dec. 31, 1999. Or maybe 2000, but not a day later. This notion informed everything that Mormonism comprised. It imbued Mormonism with an excitement that simply cannot be reproduced. Now they are just drifting along on their earlier momentum, and that is running out fast.

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 05:43PM

slskipper Wrote:
> Part of the difference, IMO, is the fact that the
> year 2000 came and went with no return of Jesus.
> The LDS church really did believe that they were
> in the Last Days, and that the very Last Day was
> absolutely going to be Dec. 31, 1999. Or maybe
> 2000, but not a day later. This notion informed
> everything that Mormonism comprised. It imbued
> Mormonism with an excitement that simply cannot be
> reproduced. Now they are just drifting along on
> their earlier momentum, and that is running out
> fast.

I remember being seven and told I would see Jesus soon in 2000. I laugh now that I swallowed that garbage.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 03:56PM

lazylizard Wrote:
> slskipper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Part of the difference, IMO, is the fact that
> the
> > year 2000 came and went with no return of
> Jesus.
> > The LDS church really did believe that they
> were
> > in the Last Days, and that the very Last Day
> was
> > absolutely going to be Dec. 31, 1999. Or maybe
> > 2000, but not a day later. This notion informed
> > everything that Mormonism comprised. It imbued
> > Mormonism with an excitement that simply cannot
> be
> > reproduced. Now they are just drifting along on
> > their earlier momentum, and that is running out
> > fast.
>
> I remember being seven and told I would see Jesus
> soon in 2000. I laugh now that I swallowed that
> garbage.

I swallowed it at 16 years old for christ's sakes.

Posted by: logged out (nli) ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 06:24PM

Really, what else would you expect? The cult is a top-down org. Just look at the top leadership. Thirteen old men, all out of touch, surrounded by bootlicking sycophants in the 1Q70. Same outlook, same opinions, nothing interesting about any of them. A boring church works splendidly for them, why should they change it?

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 06:25PM

It has to be.

It's Mormonism.

It rules with an iron fist.

It's a dick tater ship.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 06:28PM

I think that the leadership made a conscious decision with 'correlation', to hack off the enjoyable part of tribal mormonism because of cost concerns, figuring that an expanding church would require an increasingly big slice of the tithing pie to maintain, especially as different cultures became involved. And what was left was what we have now.

In other countries, missionaries are actual embassadors from an American church, and they get a certain amount of extra special treatment by the members. This attitude does not exist in 1st world countries, from what I can see. "Yeah, yeah, you're a missionary, so hurry up and leave."

The higher one rises in the church, the less sociability is seen; it's a business, getting X number of souls to behave in Y manner, to achieve Z goal, which is boring temple, tithe paying attendence until you die, repeat with the next generation.

The emphasis is on "it's a business."

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 08:50PM

Boring? Um…

"Mormonism is DEAD"

M@t

Date: February 02, 2018 05:20PM

moremany Wrote:
> Boring? Um…
>
> "Mormonism is DEAD"
>
> M@t

Hahahaha you got that right.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 09:33PM

Kirby thinks so too....and writes about it.

Posted by: guy3 ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 09:42PM

This is why I struggle with this site, because I still find Mormonism intellectually and spirtually fulfilling. Its only flaw is that isn't true.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 10:09PM

And that it's not true might be why it is boring to so many people. It's like a perpetual comic-con. Eventually, the story line simply runs out, because it isn't true. Reality has variety and surprise and counterintuition. There's stuff to learn--and before you learned it you really didn't know it. But a story eventually runs its course. And in this story, the old codgers running it are so old, conservative, and out-of-touch, they're not capable of adding anything new.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 11:01PM

guy3 Wrote:
> This is why I struggle with this site, because I
> still find Mormonism intellectually and spirtually
> fulfilling. Its only flaw is that isn't true.

John 11:35

Posted by: guy3 ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 01:19AM

I rejected all Abrahamic religions in one go. So Christianity, Islam, and Judiasm are all non-starters.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 07:35AM

You can disagree with others here, even if you are disagreeing with what seems like the prevailing opinion.

Posted by: PDX ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 12:57AM

I used to think somewhat like that - there was good in Mormonism although it wasn't true. When we (my wife and I) left over 4 decades ago - it cost us our relationship with our families, our friends and greatly impacted our occupations (because word got out we had been excommunicated and many of our superiors at work were bishops and stake presidents). This religion has caused us incredible pain over the years. I'm surprised that it took us so long to realize that it is really just a cult and a dangerous and evil one at that.

Date: February 02, 2018 05:24PM

Intellectually fulfilling? I had to dumb myself down before entering the church building.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 10:44PM

It's boring because it squeezes the life out of its members by

making them obey,obey,pray and pay.

There is no passion in the church, no joy , no love of life,

no celebrating love or music or art or beautiful things.

It turns the people into tithing payers who are cookie cutter

cut outs of each other, stepping in time with each other, while

thier individual personalities shrivel and die.

Date: February 02, 2018 05:27PM

saucie Wrote:
> It's boring because it squeezes the life out of
> its members by
>
> making them obey,obey,pray and pay.
>
> There is no passion in the church, no joy , no
> love of life,
>
> no celebrating love or music or art or beautiful
> things.
>
> It turns the people into tithing payers who are
> cookie cutter
>
> cut outs of each other, stepping in time with each
> other, while
>
> thier individual personalities shrivel and die.

Saucie is correct. It's a soul killer like nothing i had ever experienced in my life. Kills you before your life ever begins..

Date: January 29, 2018 10:54PM

It's BAD Fiction, which is boring.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 10:56PM

you mean "and it came to pass"? is said too much in the book of mormon?
Hahahahahhahaha

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 12:13AM

Xanthe Wrote:
blocking fun / amusement/ entertainment/ passion for anything outside of THE gospel is a grand MORmON passion. If your life is NOT boring to a miserable and agonizing extent then you are not properly living THE gospel !!!! which is the only thing that a good MORmON should need to make their life complete.

Back to my upbringing with my MORmON enforcement agent parents and super boring MORmON family!!!!

> Where's the music,

You mean the Letter Men? -BORING!!!!! bought by my male parent based on their affiliation with MORmONISM.

You mean the Osmonds? -BORING!!!!! !!!!, so boring that even Marie had to occasionally break out by peeing her pants/ and peeing on some guy. Even my ultra MORmON family had ZERO interest in the schlock spinning Osmonds. Of Course my MORmON parents would say that they liked the Osmonds out of respect to their MORmON religion, but just as they would NEVER buy or listen to anything that the Osmonds ever did, and we are talking about people who watched /listened to the Lawrence Welk show.

Music? that means Lawrence Welk, MO Tab and getting to sing church songs at Church.

> food, OK it was permissible to eat, as long as it did not cost too much, because family budgets were already stretched due to incessant LD$ inc demands for offerings. Remember, back then after getting hit for full tithing on gross income, then MORmON members got hit for ward budget and anything else that LDS inc could come up with that kept financials demands much closer to 20 percent than 10 percent .

> cultural celebration,

THE church was our culture !!!! and our celebration !!! what more could a good MORmON member possibly need !!!!!

> engagement in the congregations, community
> bonding, fun activities, laughter, ANYTHING?
>
> Why does it feel like I have my soul drained every
> week I attend church?

Probably because you did !!!!
>
> It's not even a matter of me not believing it
> anymore, it's just...so boring.

that is exactly what I have been saying too!!!!

> Maybe people would
> enjoy church more if it was actually vibrant and
> engaging.

It sounds like you are not satisfied with the run of the mill (BORING) MORmON dog and pony show meetings as the center of your life.

You need to be paying more in offerings to keep you more engaged !!!! and too busy and too exhausted (trying to earn money to pay offerings) to be able to think about being bored !!!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 10:52AM

Why is a book boring?

Characters so underdeveloped that it is impossible to empathize with them or be shocked by them or root for them. Underdeveloped plot--predictable, slow, droning, and unimaginative. Mundane usage of words, repetitious enough to be sleep inducing.

Sound familiar?

Date: February 02, 2018 06:09PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> Why is a book boring?
>
> Characters so underdeveloped that it is impossible
> to empathize with them or be shocked by them or
> root for them. Underdeveloped plot--predictable,
> slow, droning, and unimaginative. Mundane usage of
> words, repetitious enough to be sleep inducing.
>
> Sound familiar?

Haha yep all too familiar. I hated that book growing up and they wanted me to proselytize and try to sell it to the world as reality? Jesus it was a huge task for an eighteen year old to think about that's for d@mn sure when i reflect on that critical period of my life. They had to put all the pressure on the teenagers not the old guys in suits reaping the rewards. It was f#cked up back then and it is still f#cked up today.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 01:13PM

It's boring because all the freedom to be creative is gone. All decisions are made from the top. As the top leaders feel that all underlings are rather stupid, they have dumbed down EVERYTHING. They have even gone so far as to take away all historical writings and texts so members have only present day leaders to ask about doctrine.

All money now goes directly to SLC and then trickles back to wards based only on attendance numbers. Bishops used to be able to create activities, programs, service projects, teaching programs, etc. as they saw the need in their ward. Since the top dogs know nothing about what is actually going on beneath them (all except dwindling membership numbers/tithing and anger over treatment of gays) they have chosen to simply tighten the reigns of power and simplify the dogma to the point of mindlessness. The dogma has basically gotten to the point of simply instilling fear. Do/believe what we say today (forget passed teachings and doctrine) or you will get ex-ed, shamed publicly, or we will sic the missionaries and other members on you until you crack. They have even declared that thinking too much and having questions is tantamount to sinning. How boring is that?

Date: January 30, 2018 05:01PM

D&D explains the (polarizing, boring work of fiction) BoM in a nutshell.

Read Pooped's comment. You'll learn all you need to know about today's Mormon 'church'.

The blind - and the dumb - leading the blind.

It's boring because the so-called leaders [don't even follow themselves] are dull, boring, disengaging, clueless, lifeless and out of touch - with Heavenly Farter, life, themselves, reality.

M@t

Date: February 02, 2018 06:16PM

moremany Wrote:
> D&D explains the (polarizing, boring work of
> fiction) BoM in a nutshell.
>
> Read Pooped's comment. You'll learn all you need
> to know about today's Mormon 'church'.
>
> The blind - and the dumb - leading the blind.
>
> It's boring because the so-called leaders are
> dull, boring, disengaging, clueless, lifeless and
> out of touch - with Heavenly Farter, life,
> themselves, reality.
>
> M@t

Yep pooped pretty much explained it all. It's a bunch of mindless leaders leading mindless followers(that included myself). A road to no where spinning in constant circles while getting raped financially. The guys at the top don't really care what the people do at the bottom as long as the money keeps coming in. And the defiance level of the followers never reaches their doors or mansions.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 05:44PM

So, going with the theme of a series that has run its course, when did mormonism "jump the shark"? I say it was when they stopped the cultural refinement lessons in RS, stopped having roadshows, dance and sports competitions, gold and green balls and bazaars. It seems like it was somewhat interesting to me back in the 60's.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 08:44PM

I believe a catalyst for many to leave the corporation is that it is intensely boring. Three hours of Sunday meetings where nothing new is ever discussed. Drab conferences. Colorless personalities. I hope they maintain such policies and expectations of their adherents to tolerate that bland existence. More will leave.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2018 08:45PM by Eric K.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 09:00PM

What, oh what, are you asking?

That hearing OVER AND OVER that you cannot be trusted to think for yourself, to doubt, to question, to decide if a book is worth reading, to pick out your own underwear, to know if something sounds ridiculous and full of lies, to put 2 and 2 together and get 4 instead of 5, to hear yet another sappy story to illustrate how you will be blessed if only you starve to enable paying your tithing, and on and on and on is not extremely BORING peppered heavily with coming off extremely INSULTING?

Date: January 31, 2018 04:47PM

That'sIT!

TSCC treats it's followers (much less, the world) like dummies.

Out smart them. Claim your free-agency. It's FREE! lol

Date: February 01, 2018 01:36AM

readwrite Wrote:
> That'sIT!
>
> TSCC treats it's followers (much less, the world)
> like dummies.
>
> Out smart them. Claim your free-agency. It's FREE!
> lol

They definitely try to dumb you down like children every week that is for d@mn sure. They talk about free-agency but they never use it and it is definitely frowned upon to use it.

Date: January 30, 2018 10:01PM

Because it's run by Mormons… designed too run ordinary, thinking folks off.

Date: February 01, 2018 01:37AM

readwrite Wrote:
> Because it's run by Mormons… designed too run
> ordinary, thinking folks off.

Yep, exactly this.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 01:54PM

though she married a wild man just before he shipped out for WWII. The SP married them in his home the day before he shipped out.

He always smoked and drank, served alcohol at all the family parties, while my aunt was RS president, YW president, etc. When he was 50, the bishop asked him to take some calling and told him he knew he was capable of changing his ways. He changed his ways and became bishop and then SP.

I was very close to my aunt and she told me no less than 3 times that he was a lot more fun before he found religion. They were in the 80s at the time she told me that.

Date: February 01, 2018 01:33AM

A man once said it is like a funeral every week. Mormons are the dead that have not been buried yet. It's a culture of sit down and shut up. It's not for the badass because i like to be funny and none of them are funny and it sucks to be around non-funny people. The celestial kingdom would be a boring hell, i really want all the time i wasted in church to be returned to me. I want all those years back. I lost my god d@mn soul through all of it and i have been trying to bring it back with counseling.

Date: February 01, 2018 10:42AM

Because it is Mormon created and Mormon supported.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 10:44AM

Isn't every religion?

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 03:48PM

Because forced conformity breeds mediocrity.

Date: February 01, 2018 08:54PM

Because JS set it up that way… and the (mis)leaders are AFRAID of [moving forward] INVESTIGATING (change) - as they encourage those new to Mormonism.

They can't help it. They are occupied (with the emptiness that is Mormonism).

Not just boring. Dull! Lifeless.

M@t

Posted by: laughing in provo ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 08:52AM

Ministry of Harold B. Lee: Priesthood Correlation is Created

boredom came with correlation. we all have to be the same and do the same things. no independent thinking!!!!!!!

Posted by: Pharmakos ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 12:19PM

They think they will lose control in life if they give a single inch of freedom for themselves or anyone else.

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 03:15PM

It's boring because (partly) of cookie-cutter ward buildings that resemble nothing more than generic "executive suites" rental properties, without any local or individual character, same handful of approved pictures on the walls, same signage and fonts everywhere, same industrial carpet, same bland, boring tones, same basketball court/"cultural hall," etc.

No joyfulness, no emotion, only fully "correlated" buildings and interiors.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 06:15PM

Well, they believe that “loud laughter” is a violation of a sacred temple ordinance, so how much joy and fun can be expected?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.