Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 11:26PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 12:00AM

There's an interesting one of Mary Baker Eddy (Christian Sciennce), "Mrs. Eddy: The Biography of a Virgin Mind."

THAT woman had issues!

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 12:28AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 01:32AM

With interested people pretty much at opposites about him, not much cred.

The huge, current disconnect between Claims & Reality are more important, imho.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 02:09AM

Joe’s cult should have died with him, or been kept in the family. It’s just that Brigham happened along. Joseph’s frame of mind isn’t relevant after 1844. He was relieved of that responsibility.

The pathology that is today’s church is an outgrowth of Utah dynastic power that began with Brigham Young and his jihad against anyone who stood in his way.

Today, being TBM means loving a lie. If that’s what they want, let them. And if I want to call them on their BS, because I used to be them, let me.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 02:24AM

Shows how emotional control works to keep the rank&file in line, how effective indoctrination is.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 09:53AM

I read a book several years ago called "Psychobiography and the Book of Mormon." Supposedly you can learn a lot about someone's psychology by analyzing their first published work. According to the book, an author's first published work is their most personal and reveals a lot about their state of mind.

I'm not sure if this is just pop psychology, or if there is something to this idea. I just remember the author of the book had a lot of insights about Joseph Smith that seemed to ring true. So read at your own risk ...

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 10:06AM

Yes, but they vary all over the place.

The Sword of Laban: Joseph Smith, Jr., and the Dissociated Mind by William D. Morain, M.D.
https://www.amazon.com/Sword-Laban-Joseph-Smith-Dissociated/dp/0880488646/

Fawn Brodie and some others have speculated that Joseph Smith had temporal lobe epilepsy causing hypergraphia, i.e. a compulsion to write. I don't buy it because Smith didn't like to actually write and almost always used scribes.

I agree with many others that Smith had the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder and was a straightforward con man. That condition and occupation are commonly found together.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 02:06PM

"Inside the Mind of Joseph Smith"

https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Mind-Joseph-Smith-Psychobiography/dp/1560851252

I've not read this book, so I won't vouch for it one way or the other. But it seems relevant to the question asked.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 09:26PM

I've heard of all sorts of sex fantasies but never have I heard of a guy who wanted to keep a harem of women forever pregnant for all eternity...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.