Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 07:35AM

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/02/josh-and-lolly-weeds-account-of-why-their-mixed-orientation-marriage-failed-is-remarkable.html

"On their 10th wedding anniversary in 2012, Josh and Lolly Weed were ready to make a big announcement: Josh was gay, and they had both entered into their marriage knowing it. Devout Mormons, the couple believed the church’s doctrine that marriage is between a man and a woman, and that “family is central to the Creator’s plan” for believers. Josh had come out to his parents at age 13, and to his friend Lolly a few years later, but the couple decided to start dating and later to marry, eyes wide open. The post went viral, and the couple appeared on Nightline, talking about their shared faith, their “great” sex life, and their love for their three daughters.

The Weeds recently made another big announcement on their blog: They’re divorcing. In a remarkable 11,000-word post, the couple confessed that the arrangement wasn’t working. “Our marriage was absolutely beautiful,” Josh wrote, “Yet it contained an undercurrent of pain that we were not able to see clearly or acknowledge for many years, which made continuing in it impossible."

"We told ourselves that our love was similar to that of an elderly couple after infatuation and physical attraction had died away and what remained was a tender bond of love. That was the framework we used to understand our relationship. Using that framework, I was willing to sacrifice that sexual component because Josh was worth it to me.

However, as the years went by, and the holes in our souls grew larger and larger, we realized that our relationship was not like an elderly couple because, although the elderly couple’s sexual relationship had dimmed, their romantic adoration for one another did not. … We realized the thing that so many people had tried to tell us: that we didn’t have romantic attachment. That romantic attachment was essential to a functioning marriage. And that it was something that we never had and, hauntingly, that we never would."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 07:46AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 02:08PM

The marriage of a gay and straight person not working out. Imagine that.

Of course, the church will throw their former golden couple under the bus.

Posted by: Lilac ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 11:33AM

OK, but the BIG question remains---Did a baker bake and sell them a wedding cake? And if a baker did, was it against his deeply held religious belief that gay men shouldn't be allowed to marry white women?

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 04:40AM

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 02:14PM

Cats and dogs, living together, total chaos.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 02:48PM

I have tremendous respect for this couple. They did their best while remaining loyal to the cult that they were a part of. Now that they are trying to work plan B, I wish them the best. If people give them their space, I'm sure that they will come up with a solution that is better suited to their circumstances. It's unfortunate that they are in the limelight but all will be well for them... hopefully.

Posted by: Anon12345 ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 02:54PM

I also have respect for them. Relationships are risky business and sometimes they don't work out. They gave it a shot. Wish them well.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 03:00PM

As someone who stayed in the church MANY LONG YEARS past its expiration date and tried to fit myself into its mold, I can only wish them the best in the rest of their lives.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.