Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 07:11AM

I found this part of an interview in the The Independent (UK) rather interesting and articulate. You may all know the group Imagine Dragons (I don't) and this may be old hat for all of you...

"Reynolds and guitarist Wayne Sermon both grew up as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints – or the Mormon church – and the band have been raising awareness of the issues involving LGBT+ youth within that religion: Reynolds fronts the Don Argott-directed documentary Believer – premiered at Sundance Film Festival – where he visits with heartbroken parents of gay children and teenagers who took their own lives after being rejected by their church; meets other teenagers who have managed to navigate their faith and sexuality.

“I was kicked out of BYU (Brigham Young University) – a Mormon college – for having sex with my girlfriend,” he says. “It was this really strange thing of feeling, like this was a beautiful thing in my life yet I was supposed to feel bad about it. It was really the first time I dealt with depression. I had to stay at home, live with my parents while all my friends went off to college. It was a really shameful process for me, being made to feel bad about something that should have been celebrated.

“That did a lot of damage to me, and still has, to this day. And that’s on such a minor scale compared to what our LGBT+ youth in Mormonism deal with, which is being told their innate sense of being and sexuality is flawed and that they should feel bad about it. In Utah the number one reason for death among teenagers is suicide, that’s likely a lot to do with the shaming – Utah is basically all Mormons.

“There are also statistics that show if an LGBT youth is not accepted in their home or environment they’re eight times more likely to take their own life. Three times more likely to take part in risky drug use. It’s a broken culture, that needs to be fixed, and the first step is hopefully shining a light on it. Because Mormons don’t want to talk about it. And it’s not just Mormonism, it’s all Orthodox religion.”

He’s bugged by people who try to brush off the issue by suggesting teenagers should simply “leave the religion”. Of course it isn’t that easy, a frustrated Reynolds points out: “You’re asking the kid to to get kicked out of their home, and that increases their risk of suicide. These kids didn’t choose their religion, and they didn’t choose their sexuality either.”

Much of Reynold’s desire to shine a light on the issues within Mormonism stem from an episode of the musical dramedy Glee, which featured a cover of Imagine Dragons’ song “It’s Time” by an LGBT+ character sending an encouraging message to his love interest. It sparked a surge of messages to Reynolds from Imagine Dragons fans who assumed – because he was raised Mormon, and is a straight, married father – he wouldn’t support their sexuality.

“It’s impossible for me to reach out to all of those people and respond to each one just to say, ‘That’s not true, I support you 100 per cent’,” he says. “But because that’s my culture, that’s my history … Mormons were at the forefront of fighting against marriage equality for gay couples, so there’s a lot of ground to make up.

“The last couple of years have been the first time in my life where I’ve allowed myself to follow my heart regardless of whether it’s going to offend people along the way. I was raised in a home where you were taught not to rub society up the wrong way. To never offend people. Now I’ve just decided if you’re not offending people you’re doing something wrong, you’re not trying to make progress. To make progress you have to have hard discussions – sometimes you have to be offensive.”

Link: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/imagine-dragons-interview-dan-reynolds-singer-lgbt-youth-mormons-culture-documentary-evolve-album-a8225226.html

Have a great weekend everyone :-)

Tom in Paris

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 09:13AM

Imagine Dragons has been doing very well for itself, and the members make excellent exMo "poster children". They are very articulate in defending causes near and dear to the hearts of many here.

I am a bit surprised to see such a detailed interview about their views on Mormonism in a UK paper. A high five to The Independent for that.

Two of the founders of Arcade Fire are also exMo. For all of our feelings that Mormonism enforces such conformity that creativity is essentially ground out of its youth, I've got to say, ex-Mormons are more than able to keep up with the rest of the world in terms of creativity and caring and talent and critical thinking and all those attributes that Mormonism tries to suppress.

I find that a very encouraging thought. It is not only possible to recover from Mormonism, it is possible to totally rock after Mormonism. Imagine Dragons is a lovely public example of that. Many of the people here are lovely private examples.

Rock on.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 01:08PM

Reason for the interview: they're on tour in the UK.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 09:59AM

The lead of Imagine Dragons isn't exactly exmo, as he says he still considers himself mormon, but is dissatisfied and questioning. I've heard a lot of interviews with him though, and I think he will be exmo one day, but there's a lot of pressure for him to stay in.

I had a seminary class with the guitarist Sermon back in the day. I didn't really know too much about him.

I can't wait to see the believer documentary.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 01:00PM

Talk to the parents, including yours, Imagine Dragons frontman.

Ask the parents, 'Why do you reject your children?'

And the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard was that sex with his girlfriend should have been CELEBRATED.

(shaking head)

You had sex. Isn't that enough for you? No, he wants a ticker tape parade.

He will continue to be lost but hey, at least he's rich now.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 01:54PM

Pretty sure you're taking that out of context. I don't think he wanted a "ticker tape parade" for having sex -- he just wanted not to be shamed and ostracized for it. Nobody should be shamed for having sex with someone whom they like and/or love.

But Mormonism is ALL about the sexual repression and heavy shaming. Control something so personal as an individual's sexuality, and you control that person completely.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 02:02PM

oneinbillions Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty sure you're taking that out of context.

He said it should have been celebrated. By whom? Parents? Those are the people he was living with afterwards. When he signed the moral code at BYU and needed to have his ecclesiastical endorsement annually, he knew how the school views these matters (hint: no celebration)

He still doesn't understand who (TSCC) he is dealing with but continues to SHAME THE CHURCH.

Who should shame who?

Obviously, he let everyone know that he expected a celebration for having sex, and he is disappointed he didn't get it.

He violated the honor code. There were consequences. At a minimum, he is stupid for not making that connection and behaving as a victim of the church.

He is simply a victim of his choices. And still belly aching about not being accepted by the church. But now he's hitching a ride with LGBTQI youth to assert his own hurt feelings to the masses.

He is naive at best.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 02:47PM

You say, "Obviously, he let everyone know that he expected a celebration for having sex, and he is disappointed he didn't get it."

No. It is not obvious at all. You are adding your own expanded meaning to one simple word. You are attempting to insert your own words into his mouth.

The word "celebrated" does not automatically mean parades, marching bands,and shouting from the roof tops as you do cartwheels--or bragging.

Celebrate also means "to treasure" something.

The first time I made love I was at BYU. It was so beautiful and fulfilling and wonderful and world opening that it felt like a celebration--for me. Personal? Yes, but a celebration none the less.

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 12:50AM

This reminds me the story behind one the greatest songs ever: “Oh, what a night” by the Four Season. Now that is worth celebrating!!!

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 02:10PM

I'm pretty sure he meant the sex should have been his own private celebration of a new coming of age milemarker in his life.

The church, however, doesn't allow you to keep anything private. They found out and shamed him. They probably told his parents too which was none of their business to do to him.

Posted by: Reckoner ( )
Date: March 12, 2018 09:25AM

carameldreams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> And the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard was that
> sex with his girlfriend should have been
> CELEBRATED.

You really need to get out more. I hear more stupidity than that on a daily basis.

> He will continue to be lost but hey, at least he's
> rich now.

We should all be so "lost".

Your TBM is showing.

Date: February 24, 2018 01:46PM

I love that he started with his own negative experience with the bishop at BYU. Eye opener. He got a glimpse into another side of the Mormon church and that changed everything.

I don't even know what they sing but I know the group is successful and has a huge following, especially among the Mormons, but the interview is impressive. Even more impressive was the concert Imagine Dragons gave in Provo to benefit LGBT "At Risk" youth. Actions speak louder than words and he is walking the walk.

Thanks for the post. I like to believe there are few more kids who are going to make it because of that group.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 07:41PM

He was on an interview with Chelsea Handler and a few other musicians including Snoop Dogg and Shania Twain on Netflix. He was asking them all about feeling a responsibility to make a difference in the world. They told him he is putting way too much pressure on himself.

I think that might be the Mormon in him talking. I do think it's cool that he's trying to make a difference. I respect thst.

Posted by: deepbreath ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 11:49AM

Thanks for posting this. I love Imagine Dragons, and some of their video's are the best. I had no idea about the background of the band, but this makes me like them all the more!

Date: February 25, 2018 01:02PM

Had to check them out. Two songs just blew me away--Thunder and Whatever It Takes. Found those videos on YouTube. Just added them to my playlist. Wow. All that and "stand-up" guys too.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 02:21PM

Good stuff.

I didn't know Arcade Fire had 'formons' too (Brother Of Jerry).

Good stuff!

M@t

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 11, 2018 04:50AM

I like his efforts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.