Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 12:08PM

I enjoy reading science fiction and historical fiction. Cheryl's book, Plural Bride to Be, is listed on our site as an example of historical fiction..
https://www.exmormon.org/books/Plural-Bride-To-Be.pdf,

In the last half dozen books I have read, Mormons get a mention and it is never favorable. I am currently reading a science fiction novel entitled, '23I2'. It is well written. I just got a 1/3 of the way into the book and I ran into a funny mention of Mormons. The solar system has been colonized. The author is giving some background. "Saint George - a social terrarium in which the men think they are living in a Mormon polygamy, while the women consider it a lesbian world with a small percentage of male lesbians."

I believe the Mormon hierarchy are totally unaware of how most folks view Mormonism. Nothing hurts a cult leader more than to not be taken seriously. I guess I just enjoy seeing these little digs at the corporation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 12:12PM

It fits right in with science fiction.

No, wait...it fits in to be ridiculed in science fiction.
Much science fiction is at least plausible...:)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 12:49PM

I love it when I see references to mormonism in literature, at least when they don't glamorize it and just portray it with flaws and all.

Posted by: TheHumanLeague ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 01:34PM

...because Mormonism is a MAZE of sorts. It will run
and take turns then stop and then REVERSE and back on.

Its NOT a religion. Its a CULT of sorts that will lie
to you and deceive you and mislead you and trick you and
manipulate you and mesmerize you until you finally accept
that its TRUE. Whatever the crap that is?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 03:43PM

I loved Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy. He is such a good writer. What a funny reference!

Janet Asimov, Isaac's widow, has Mormon extended family, and she has written about her experiences dealing with them. It's a familiar annoyance.

https://thehumanist.com/commentary/gripes-and-groans-religion-entertainment-and-a-culture-of-disposability

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 03:49PM

It seems to me that non-member's think of Mormon's as an oddity, rather than legitimate Christians. When mentioned in books I read, sometimes Mormon's are written about (in a sentence or two), just because the author thinks it adds a little interest to his/her story. I think they think this because of the Mormon's practice of polygamy (as if this is still going on).

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 04:30PM

Many wards still have polygamists who get away with lying.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 04:49PM

Love this.

"...lesbian world with a small percentage of male lesbians."

I totally see the male of our species as lesbian. The default is female. Males are humans with enlarged clitoris and dropped sex glands, lacking wombs and having non-lactating nipples.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 12:27AM

I remember Mormons in Louis L'Amour novels. Apparently the Wild West was fascinated with Mormonism. They just didn't want to join.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 09:34AM

My dad belonged to a Louis L'Amour book of the month club. At the time he died there was a good two boxes of those books in his home that he'd collected. Wonder what he'd have thought about the author's take on Mormonism?

My dad was a lifelong Mormon, but went inactive following my parents divorce. He believed in parts of it, and rejected the parts he didn't. We didn't get around to the discussion of which was which. He recommended churches for me to attend after I left when my children were still young.

He wasn't one to take offense at my leaving TSCC, unlike some others parents or family members do. He was actually encouraging and supportive of my decision to leave when I did.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2018 09:38AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 02:55AM

That part about the men thinking they live in polygamy really hit home. It's true.

Posted by: 2 tired 2 log in ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 04:38AM

If memory serves, Mormons and Mormonism make a few appearances in an older (1980s) SF trilogy by an author named John Varley. I believe the titles are Titan, Wizard and Demon. I think I still have those books somewhere; if there is enough interest I might be able to locate them and quote the relevant parts.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 09:28AM

Sci fi legend Robert Heinlein wove them into several of his novels that I read. He was intrigued with it as a fringe cult religion in his inter-galactic space travels.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 11:58AM

I'm watching season 2 of The Expanse. They frequently mention the Mormonism that have a space ship called Nauvoo, and it has a huge spire with a gold Moroni statue on it.

The Mormons are dressed in suits and look cultic, lol

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 12:10PM

> "Nothing hurts a cult leader more than to not be taken seriously." >

Who takes today's [cult] "leaders* seriously?

They are the laughingstock of the rest of the world.

M@t

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 12:31PM

People used to ask me what religion I was, and when I said, "I'm Mormon," they would say things like, "That's such a neat church!" Then something happened, and I became ex-Mormon, and then I began saying, "I used to be Mormon." It was then that I had a comeuppance; it turns out that, in real life, people HATE Mormonism, and are generally glad to say it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.