Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 09:35PM

hardly anyone in our ward will notice. Expect maybe a handful of people...Is that typical of the morg corridor!??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 09:54PM

That's typical of life, Anon2.

But if/when you do move to either Boise or SLC you'll find a much more interesting landscape culturally and socially than where you are now. Plus you'll be closer to medical facilities and doctors, places to go, people to see, etc.

I liked Boise after living there for four years while in college.

It's got a lot going for it. Salt Lake City is "okay." But if I were to pick and choose, Boise would be my first pick.

Which are you and your dad leaning toward? Boise or SLC?

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 10:04PM

We're still searching both for single story house(with low maintenance and little acreage or none) townhouses too and condos. Plus we have to find a place which is pet friendly for our Taco Terrier Poncho. Then we have to throw in his veteran stuff (it might help with this somehow) , disability help for me , social security etc... It's a big thing and we've haven't put our property on the market yet. We have a acre and a half(with a pasture) and 2 story home.

I'm taking a couple days off from the search. I need it.

Date: March 26, 2018 10:11PM

You'd be in less culture shock if you were to relocate to Boise than SLC. SLC is a bigger city, more pollution, etc., and the heart of Mormondum. There's also lots to do there, and it is close to fine medical facilities like U of Utah hospital, et al.

Housing seems more expensive there than Boise.

Boise was mostly all good neighborhoods when I lived there for college. There was no ghetto. Just older sections of town v. newer. SLC has more of a homeless problem than Boise does. Boise is in a fruit belt and wine region.

Salt Lake is in a canyon surrounded by mountains. It's colder there in winter, and snowier than Boise. Just my two cents.

You might like either place. For cost savings though, your money would go further in Boise IMO.

Date: March 26, 2018 10:18PM

There's also suburbs outside Boise that might be less expensive, like Meridian or Nampa. You might find more affordable housing though I'm not sure.

Boise has a lot of good neighborhoods in the older section/s of town. Lots of college students and professors live there. It's pretty family oriented, and not nearly as Mormony as SLC.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 27, 2018 01:54AM

Most people have just a handful of close friends -- I think the number is 2-3 for men and up to 5 for women. So I don't think your situation is unusual.

Date: March 27, 2018 07:21AM

What I've read on same subject is actually the reverse of those numbers. While men tend to have a handful of close friends, women have 2-3 on average.

One thinks of women as being more social than men are. But then it's "close" friendships, not acquaintances, the study emphasizes.

Date: March 27, 2018 07:24AM

One other thing occurs to me Anon2. You're coming from the country to a city. You aren't going to be used to the traffic. Salt Lake City is very congested traffic wise, and busy all the time.

Boise is still way smaller by comparison. It has its share of traffic, but nothing compared to SLC.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 27, 2018 12:17PM

Why limit yourselves? There’s a big world out there! Oregon is wonderful!

Posted by: grendel ( )
Date: March 27, 2018 12:55PM

+1 for Oregon

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: March 27, 2018 12:29PM

“You probably wouldn’t worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do.” -Olin Miller

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.