Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jstone ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 09:08AM

There were no tickets on the door as all were pre-allocated. I know church employees in the UK were offered tickets beyond that the selection process is an unknown, apparently about 1,000 tickets were available. In the video feed there were no panning shots which I saw of whether the Hyde Park chapel was full or not (though my eyes did keep involuntarily closing during this snore-fest). How one person was selected was very clear - by the colour of his skin and he gave the opening prayer.

The opening hymn posed the great question How Firm a foundation? Of course foundations in real-world construction are made with objective and verifiable facts and not by fuzzy feelings. So the answer to that question would be, tscc has no foundations but is a castle built in the air and originates from a confidence trickster.

After spinning the gig out for as long as possible with almost nothing happening, finally and with the crowd showing no signs of life, Russ got biz on the mike.

He recounted that apparently in mid flight his plane was ordered to divert to Manchester meaning that he'd never make the gig in time. Russ said he prayed, then came the announcement over the tannoy, the diversion was cancelled!

He thanked the members who'd cleaned the chapel and said that "we may need to clean our lives up for our inspector general". Said some generic pulpit stuff. Then, "It's not about me but about the calling that has come to me" and to "feast on the words of prophets". Something about Ministerings are more holy than HT/VT and have safety in your travels or something.

Then it was all over except yet more singing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2018 09:32AM by jstone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 09:46AM

Am I to understand that Wendy Watson Nelson didn't get 20+- minutes to speak and tell her story?

Date: April 13, 2018 10:03AM

Oh yes, Wendy did get to warm the crowd up. But although this was only yesterday the details of her inexorable feat are now hazy in my mind - perhaps I've been caused to forget it by divine means?

Posted by: zelphoncrack ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 11:47AM

Did you feel a burning in your bosom when Sister Wendy speak?

Posted by: brigham ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 10:51AM

I was in the Hyde Park chapel on Monday. There were massive preparations under way to beautify the place for the Prophet. No doubt Nelson's speech was the usual sickly melange of trite platitudes and homely yarns with a sprinkling of references to Jesus.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 11:23AM

He couldn't have prayed for wars to cease and for the maimed to be made whole, instead of a diverted flight?

Some ^%*^*&& prophet.

Date: April 14, 2018 08:13AM

I have to correct something I said and get my facts straight. Russ's flight diverting prayer was an anacdote about what may have happened 30 years ago in 1987 when on a visit to the UK - and didn't happen this week at all.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 11:03AM

jstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have to correct something I said and get my
> facts straight. Russ's flight diverting prayer
> was an anacdote about what may have happened 30
> years ago in 1987 when on a visit to the UK - and
> didn't happen this week at all.

Wow - more proof that he was chosen by God - even before he was ordained Profit, his prayers had the power to change flight plans for his convenience. That's faith promoting stuff right there.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 01:43PM

That's exactly what I was thinking, Elise.
"Some ^%*^*&& prophet."

Nelson's great message to the world sounds like just another standard sales pitch for the cult.

His pitch for the chapel-cleanings was disgustingly condescending. I thought you were joking at first, jstone.

He was selling himself: "feast on the words of the prophets." They'll all starve to death. He refers to himself as a "spiritual physician", and likes to remind people that he used to be a doctor. Um, would we let any of these "spiritual physicians" operate on us?

The way Mormons aggrandize each other and themselves makes me sick. So, we're to regard these intrusive Mormon neighbors as "ministers", high above the old HT's, when they are the same people they always were, selling the same old lies.
It's the same old cult, same old geezers, peddling the same old lies--but trying to create an illusion of "change".

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 11:45AM

any pleas for more mission work?

It must be the members fault if the cult is shrinking!

Date: April 13, 2018 12:14PM

Nothing about missionary work, but he did prattle on about becoming "spiritual physicians" and the worn out idea"whatever is wrong the gospel has the answer". This was all connected to ministering to existing members.

Posted by: perdition ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 01:21PM

"spiritual physicians" is 'ministering', right? I am far from fluent in the Mormon language. My Reformed Egyptian is not great either.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 11:48AM

jstone, you have a great talent for making the banal amusing.

Have you considered a career in religion? :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.