Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 10:10PM

Recently I had a chance to speak with a friend from the ward. It seems that quite a few people have quit going because they are losing the desire to be there. Apparently, they are being taught less and less, and the activities are becoming more and more like mini sacrament meetings. And it seems that going to church lately has become more like an obligation rather than an opportunity.

And to make matters worse (better?), the leadership is making it look like those who are not there are choosing evil over good, and that does not sit well with the folks who are their friends.

It's starting to look like tightening the screws is a bad idea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 10:15PM

I am glad to hear this. Being ridiculed and talked about behind your back and being called or referred to as evil would send me packing for sure.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 10:18PM

The wards are in peril.

We are taught NOTHING!

Except tithe and go to the international house of 1000 handshakes!

I stopped attending activities 5 years ago and with more time the questions started coming!

They all look dead, they hate it and you can tell.

In RS people just sit there and the clock hits time to leave folks are out!

I have looked at the manuals and it is always the same, Service, Tithes, Fasting, Prayer...great topics, but not in correlated MORGdom!

Sooooo annoying!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 10:35PM

More sheep are waking up!

Date: June 06, 2011 10:46PM

Wiser woman I saw your question...did you get answers?

I seem to one of the very few if not only VERY vocal black mo...

So I didn't want to go on and on!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 10:48PM

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: June 10, 2011 10:06PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 10, 2011 10:53PM

The only questions the teacher can ask are lame and have obvious answers. Nobody wants to answer, because the answers are lame and canned, and the whole thing is an exercise in boredom.

It darn well better backfire on them. It's three hours that are as thrilling as sucking on cardboard.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: June 11, 2011 04:03AM

I remember years ago my aunt used to joke that any question in primary could be answered with "happy" "sad" or "Jesus".

I guess they decided that was enough for the grown-ups, too.

Date: June 11, 2011 04:44AM

IT is!

But I have never been one to play by the rules, I suppose that is how I ended up in a cult huh?!!!!!

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: June 11, 2011 12:55AM

In Arizona, I'm seeing a slew of small, independent, nondenominational Christian churches offering casual attire, upbeat music and teachings that are relevant to our lives. As one of these pastors said, "Research shows that people don't like to go to church, but they do like to go to concerts". Kolobianism (hey, my iPhone spell checker recognized that word! I must be typing it more often than I thought)is going to be hard pressed to keep people sweltering in their "Sunday Best" through three hours of mind-numbing boredom.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 11, 2011 01:28AM

He is a lifelong Mormon, Eagle Scout, RM and all that. He remains a true believer, but several years ago, he observed, sadly, "They have taken all of the richness out of the Gospel, and all we ever hear now is mind-numbing repetition."

His attitude is, "Why bother going at all if they never even scratch the surface of what's there?"

(I ceased seeing anything "there" a long time ago, so it's just as well.)

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: June 11, 2011 03:50AM

My DH is the same. BIC, RM, and still a believer but totally inactive because "church is exhausting" and he doesn't get anything out of going anymore.

I don't blame for enjoying his full 2 day weekends where he can actually rest and not be bothered by people asking him to time wasting meaningless tasks.

Of course the wards are in peril. Not even the believers want to go!

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: June 11, 2011 03:21AM

They do discuss you, for certain. I know I was discussed and was told to my face, looking in the eye, that anything in which was discussed went no further. And, believe me, the few times i attended when i decided against joining and quit attending, it was noticed.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 11, 2011 03:46AM

that they Care!

Mo Innoculation: Priceless

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 11, 2011 07:59AM

I have to be a shadow Mormon and it's gotten to a point where I've decided to only attend Sacrament Meeting and then to hell with the last two hours. Last week in RS, the teacher simply had to drag in that goddamn mother fucking shitass Julie Blech monstrosity, "Mothers Who Know." I walked out.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 11, 2011 08:56AM

But, of course, it's not the product of revelation. It's the product of men who were chosen for their myopia and lack of imagination. Visionaries and interesting people don't rise in the ranks of the church, because they think too much, have too many unorthodox ideas and have the habit of asking, "Yeah, but WHY?" What the caretakers of the church want are fiercely loyal dullards, defenders of the status quo, unquestioning administrators of policy. And so, when their dullness drains the life out of the church and people start disappearing from the pews, all the leaders know how to do is double down on the dullness.

Posted by: Deb in Pa ( )
Date: June 11, 2011 11:08AM

Hi, I have not been here for ages, but this one hit home for
me. I have a few TBM's on my face book page that moved from
California to Utah and they all appear to still partake of
church functions yet one friend seems much more interested
in her daughter's dance and beauty pageants then church. In
fact she is always plugging her sisters dance studio in St.
George, the other one is TBM all the way and yet I get the
feeling that her life is only wrapped around her kids and
their happiness. She is always talking about their activities,
the youth stake dances ect. I onced asked her if Releif Society
was a blessing to have for a much needed R and R from the kids,
her answer "Those women do nothing but gossip and boss other's
around, they are horrid women, I do not like RS so therefore
I keep asking to be involved with the youth" Wow talk about grudges..

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: June 11, 2011 01:16PM

They also lost their entire STAKE. Yes, it is gone!

You are right that members are annoyed at the obvious lies, repetitions, demands, focus on the dead, lack of respect for women and non-Mormons, and gloom-and doom themes, etc, I've heard my TBM neighbors complain specifically about their church:

--Those long 3-hour torture sessions, and the scheduling

--Unhappy, restless children

--Confusion over the changing doctrines, and the secrecy.

--Rude gossip--not only directed at apostates, but at each other. Gossip backfires, and poisons the group.

--Taking away beautiful music by non-Mormon composers (I agree about concerts being very important)

--The mall (that was the last straw for several)

--The anti-gay thing (gays and their families resigned)

--Janitorial work

--The Activities Committee being disbanded, hence, fewer and lamer activities.

Ha-ha! Our ward rushes quickly out the door, too! I left last, because I had to play the postlude, and often we'd find a discarded tie out in front. Once we found shoes and socks, and a white shirt out there. It was a joke!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2011 01:19PM by forestpal.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 11, 2011 04:05PM

Now that would be a Kodak Moment! :)

Posted by: churchlady ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 03:13PM

I have to agree, i know some tbm church skippers, went for a drive and had a picnic in the mountains, all because they were asked to say the prayer. " uh, we are going to be out of town" also i'm hearing wards are combining, you have to have 3,000 to have a stake?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.