Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 10:27AM

Oh well. He got to ride a zebra, so it wasn't a completely wasted life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 10:29AM

Idiot Jessop

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 10:30AM

It doesn't say which number wife she was...

Firing a flaming arrow into 51 candles set in the form of a heart... Certainly the flaming arrow was not expected to light the candles...

Why not just get her a box of 51 See's heart-shaped chocolates, along with a gift certificate to her favorite fabric store?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 10:21PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It doesn't say which number wife she was...
>
> Firing a flaming arrow into 51 candles set in the
> form of a heart... Certainly the flaming arrow
> was not expected to light the candles...
>
> Why not just get her a box of 51 See's
> heart-shaped chocolates, along with a gift
> certificate to her favorite fabric store?

Fabric Store? why a fabric store?

Date: April 20, 2018 01:33AM

Somewhere along the line I formed the impression that Fundies women make their own dresses...

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 11:35AM

I'm genuinely curious as to what happens to polygamous women after their earthly lord and master dies.

Posted by: ExAmmon ( )
Date: April 28, 2018 10:29AM

I would hope they form a queer feminist collective together :) (I'm a queer male, not being pervy here)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 11:38AM

Any human's death is sad.
That said, some are less sad than others...when, for example, their own stupidity leads to it.

Things like this almost -- ALMOST -- make me believe in "karma."

:)

Date: April 19, 2018 04:20PM

Considering his matrimonial potential for offspring, he should get a Darwin Award with Oak Leaf Cluster.

:+{

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 11:49AM

Outlaw gravity.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 11:51AM

What I find sardonically ironically tragic here is because of something I know about the polygamists I know.

They seem to place MORE emphasis on marriage and romantic gestures than most people. Is it some kind of "Principle" empowerment in their culture?

It is relate to The Taj Mahal thinking I think. Somehow in the light of multiple wives "the one" shines through. It creates huge tension and drama.

The polygamists I know have rules against showing sexual favoritism but not the regular kinds.

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 12:50PM

Interesting...do you think it's a way for the husband to one-up that particular wife in order to make her feel special on that anniversary date. Dangerous games because I am sure they are always comparing. If'in I was a polyg'y husband, I would do the same thing every year for each one. Keep those gestures equal.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 02:07PM

Bill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keep
> those gestures equal.

I hear it is mostly impossible because the men who marry many women like the infighting competing for his attentions. Their payoff is the over the top expressions of love. Warren Jeffs gave gifts, took trips, etc. for different wives at different times.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 02:23PM

Sort of related in the fundy world:

Here's an obituary for a toddler who died from injuries in a fire:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/deseretnews/obituary.aspx?n=adonijah-jahiah-john-foster&pid=188780131

I feel very sorry for this family, and it's a big one.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 10:29PM

Something to be said for not getting all creative, Forrest Gump and Karl Childers never had gravity problems

Date: April 20, 2018 12:42AM

"Because this man is a polygamist who might otherwise have spread his genes more extensively than the average male, I suggest that this man be given the "Darwin Award With Oak Leaf Cluster." the InSensitiveFiend

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 10:04AM

I hope they pursue it. Great publicity for the mormons and their offshoots! :)

Date: April 20, 2018 10:50AM

...along with "instant karma" dashcam car crashes and police chases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2018 11:00AM by caffiend.

Date: April 20, 2018 02:06PM

From the Darwinawards moderators:

"Sorry, but this doesn't say Darwin to me, since it's just 'falls off cliff he climbed in the dark' and nothing really unusual or spectacular. The other moderators may differ. Thanks anyway."(Candi, Moderator)

"While we don't get many stories involving people climbing cliffs to fire flaming arrows, we do get a LOT of stories of people falling from cliffs and other heights doing all other sorts of stupid things like trying to reach out to take a selfie, etc. Thanks just the same." (Bruce, Moderator)

Unfortunately, these moderators don't see the theological import of this. It may be posted in their "slush pile." :(

I did ask, above, what typically happens to the windows of polygamist men, and would really appreciate some informed responses.

Date: April 20, 2018 06:52PM

It makes sense to me that they would be raffled off...

Remember, you can't win if you don't buy a raffle ticket, and ghawd will be behind the winning tickets!

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 11:00AM

This guy would had to have been a little nuts. Imagine being married to that jackass.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 08:50PM

Some kid at my girls' high school got his dad to fly a helicopter over the football field and drop a teddy bear with a dance invitation to a girl who played on the football team (kicker, I think).

The cruel ironies:
-The girl turned down the invitation, and
-The dad lost his job

You can read about it here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/2012/09/17/ff04b162-00d1-11e2-9367-4e1bafb958db_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.bc56b04dfaf6

The article says that the father arranged it, but word on the street was that he was the pilot and that he lost his job over the episode.

I don't know if they're Mormon, but it would sure fit the "we've gotta be the 'best'" premise. My understanding is that the principal with whom the dad arranged it is Mormon, as are quite a few other faculty and administrators in the school.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 08:56PM

Oh, when I googled to find the above story, I came across another link about a "multistake youth conference" that was held at the school. They managed to prominently feature a non-white student in the story's picture (I'm guessing there weren't many non-white kids there).

https://www.lds.org/church/news/multistake-youth-conferences-build-character-community-testimony?lang=eng

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2018 08:58PM by nomonomo.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 09:45PM

Some archaic law of Moses stuff takes place when a man is killed...not sure about now but it used to be a brother would take her and raise up seed to his brother...at least the first one...it went something like...I cum to you in the name of my brother so and so...depending on the prize there might be quite a rush of suitors even the big wheel himself might offer his humble Anthony...graduation was a real pig fest...old pot bellied buzzards in bib and tucker going to the grad dance to peruse the new prospects...nothin makes those women at home feel more special...usually it was all designated by the big cahuna but some succeeded in having her ask for them...school teachers were the worst

Date: April 20, 2018 10:00PM

And yes, IF a married man died childless, his nearest brother would than have relations with the widow "in his name," as it were, so that "his name"--that part of the clan--would not die out. Sounds weird to us moderns, of course, but it also helped keep property rights intact.

To: nomonomo (above): regarding crazy invitations and marriage proposals at sports events, isn't it getting tiresome when you see up on the marquee, "Mary Will You Marry Me? John" Then later, "She Says YES!" and everybody cheers. Wouldn't it be fun if, after the lame proposal, the marquee reads, "Mary Says NOT In A MILLION YEARS!"

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 11:06PM

In the article on the guy who fell, notice Willie Jessop is his brother. Willie Jessop is the one who left the FLDS. There are videos on youtube of him talking to Oprah about his journey out.

I noticed in the article that Willie said he spent the day talking to their dad. If so, then maybe their dad is somewhat estranged from the FLDS? (since a True Believer in FLDS wouldn't be talking to Willie). Makes me wonder about the brother who died?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.