Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 12:26PM

Molesting?

It was for me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 12:45PM

The Scoutmaster for my scout troop (non-Mormon, fyi) played strip poker with some of the scouts during one of our week-long camping trips. A couple days into the trip, our camp was raided in the middle of the night by local police, accompanied by BSA officials.

I wasn't in the tent where the strip poker was taking place, but I remember stumbling out of my tent during the commotion and seeing the Scoutmaster and some of the other scouts being led out of the central tent in varying degrees of undress.

I was very new to scouting and thought all troops were like that until I and the other scouts were shuffled off to other local troops.

Date: May 09, 2018 01:56PM

Ah, the gambling merit badge. Kids don't have much money so their clothing is an option.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 02:38PM

Remember when Home Teaching was Ward Teachers?

Date: May 09, 2018 02:41PM

Nope.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 03:47PM

I couldn't recall the dates, so I looked it up.

...."At one time called "acting teachers" (1909), the name was formally changed to "ward teachers" in 1912. However, for years before that time the effort was informally called "block teaching" because of the geographic way in which families were assigned (Hartley, pp. 375-98).
In April 1963, the ward teaching program was expanded and renamed "home teaching," with emphasis "on the responsibilities of the entire priesthood to "watch over the Church' as commanded in the early revelations-to be concerned with the whole family as a group and as individuals" (IE 66 [June 1963]:504)."

The Visiting Teaching program had other names and started in 1842.

The announcement April 2017 General Conference (Sunday afternoon when everyone is home taking a nap!)

Wonder if this means there will be no more messages that are supposed to be given which the members have the book and can read the message themselves.

Apparently, the LDS Church is trying to become more recognizable as Christian as they are using their standard terms.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/ministering-to-replace-home-and-visiting-teaching?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2018 03:51PM by susieq.

Date: May 09, 2018 05:03PM

susieq Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apparently, the LDS Church is trying to become
> more recognizable as Christian as they are using
> their standard terms.

I don't know about that. Here JEFFERY is talking about leaders in the ward interviewing quarterly the people who "minister." I wonder if they can ask them worthiness to minister questions. Like if they are masturbating they can't minister?

" “We at Church headquarters don’t need to know how or where or when you make contact with your people. We just need to know—and care very much—that you do make it, and that you bless them in every way that you can,” said Elder Holland. “A new name, new flexibility, fewer reports will not make one ounce of difference in our service unless we see this as an invitation to care for one another in a bold new holier way,” he said."
https://www.lds.org/church/news/ministering-to-replace-home-and-visiting-teaching?lang=eng

LORD: What is that? 
JEFFERY: The Home Teaching of the Melchizedek Priesthood, the Patriarchal Checkup, or Fake Sign of the friend. 
LORD: Has it a name? 
JEFFERY: It has. 
LORD: Will you give it to me? 
JEFFERY: I cannot. I have not yet received it. For this purpose I have come to converse with the Lord through the Veil. 
LORD: You shall receive it through the Veil. 
JEFFERY: The Lord then gives the name of this token, and asks: 
LORD: What is that? 
JEFFERY: The Home Teaching of the Melchizedek Priesthood, the Patriarchal Checkup, or Fake Sign of the friend. 
LORD: Has it a name? 
JEFFERY: It has. 
LORD: Will you give it to me? 
JEFFERY: I will, through the Veil. 
JEFFERY: "Ministering" 
LORD: That is correct. 

Posted by: Anon42day ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 01:55PM

Yep I remember

Posted by: Gone ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 05:29PM

Hahahahahahaha! Elder Berry!

"... an invitation to care for one another in a bold new holier way.

Hahahahahahaha! (huh?)

Date: May 10, 2018 11:31AM

Gone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "... an invitation to care for one another in a
> bold new holier way.

I can hear the comedian in my mind asking, "So a "bold new holier way" to do your Home Teaching is to text someone?

"Isn't that a step backwards? Like what modern people do when they break up or break off a friendship?"

Posted by: cakeordeath ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 08:20PM

The merit badge I remember the most is the "Survived Initiation" badge. As a Tenderfoot, I recall being made to drink some liquid that had been warmed by the campfire. Along with 5 other plebes we were forced to drink some concoction of fluid which later made us wretch.

Then the deluge. It rained for 2 days of the weekend retreat in Northern Florida. No fires, no warmth, no food, just drink from the palm fronds slow trickle of water and hunker down. Either you were a putty (think early cartoons lingo) or you were queer. Either you made the cut or you were a putty (pronounced: pooty). I remember crawling out of the swamplands of Lake City, Florida to find the Scoutmasters camper empty. I found a can of pork and beans, a Royal Crown cola bottle, and I feasted. No Scoutmaster around for 48 hours. Finally, on Saturday night at midnight, the Scoutmaster arrives, loads up the boys, and heads for the Jacksonville Florida West Stake building.

No commentary, no apologies, no mess, no quandary. Just business as usual from the land of the Southern Man. Skynyrd can preach southern rock all day long but, justice is not their fans song.

Cake

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 10, 2018 04:14AM

I didn't see any hanky panky while in scouts but we were working on our Kieth Richards merit badge. We were smoking pot at scout camp.

Date: May 10, 2018 11:33AM

You didn't get the "Survival" merit badge? I had to sleep in a zipped together couple of sleeping bags naked with my scoutmaster.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 06:09PM

That's so wrong.

Boy scouts is supposed to be about peer-to-peer nudity.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 10:36AM

It's ALL - including "Scouts BSA" - ministering.

BSA doesn't stand for Bye Sexual Activities.

LDS doesn't stand for anything.

M@t

Date: May 27, 2018 10:52AM

E.B. - "... a "bold new holier way" to do your Home Teaching is to text someone?"

HOLIER? than HELL!

M@t

Date: May 29, 2018 01:08AM

Scouts BSA
Both Sexes Action
Born Scared Already
Broad Strategy Activities

BiSexual Scouts of America

M@t

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 02:47PM

Whatever they call it, it'll just be more Aaronic priesthood and mission prep.

Date: May 29, 2018 03:13PM

I wonder if that will include temple prep. They could cavort naked in gardens.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.