Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 09:50AM

"Violent crime made a significant jump in Utah in 2016....

The total number of violent crimes rose more than 17 percent in 2016. That included a dramatic 42 percent rise in homicides, a 19 percent increase in aggravated assaults and a nearly 17 percent rise in robberies, according to the report."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900018275/violent-crime-up-17-percent-in-utah-report-says.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 09:52AM

I'll prophesy a mormon church comment on that:

"So many of our members are falling away from the one true church, and so many outsiders are moving in, that this serves as a perfect example of what the influence of Satan does in the lives of those not following the true gospel."

Date: May 11, 2018 10:03AM

Utah attracts a lot of out of state criminals who pass through, and get arrested while dealing drugs, committing financial crimes, on the run from the law already with warrants outstanding, etc.

Plus its own criminals who are born and raised there, choosing a life of crime because they don't have the educational skills or training to make an honest living. There's a generation of "throwaway kids" in Utah that have no anchor or mooring. Maybe they were raised LDS, or their parents were. It isn't the religion itself per se. There is a polarizing effect between the over conformists and the under conformists within Mormon communities that can spark a crime wave among the under conformists.. I read one such report in a police manual where I worked my last year in high school, profiling the Ogden, Utah crime scene. At the time it was in the top ten crime districts of the US. The polarizing effect between Mormons and non-Mormons was attributed as one of the leading causes as to why.

And then of course are the financial crimes considered 'white collar crime' by law enforcement. Many of those are pseudo Mormons fleecing their flocks. They aren't even listed here because that doesn't fall under violent crime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2018 10:05AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 10:54AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Utah attracts a lot of out of state criminals who
> pass through.....
>
> Plus its own criminals who are born and raised
> there, choosing a life of crime because they don't
> have the educational skills or training to make an
> honest living......

> And then of course are the financial crimes
> considered 'white collar crime' by law
> enforcement. Many of those are pseudo Mormons
> fleecing their flocks. They aren't even listed
> here because that doesn't fall under violent
> crime........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q6B-ROmZ6A

Filthy vile LD$ Inc does a "Bernie Madoff" every year or so in the name of (MORmON) Jesus. and they get away with it year after year after year by doing it in the name of the Lord.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 10:07AM

Interesting note from the article, that the vast majority of homicides and rapes in Utah were committed by 15-19 year-olds...

Sad, but interesting.

Date: May 11, 2018 10:21AM

When I was 17 I became a displaced and homeless teen living in Ogden. It wasn't Mormons who took me in, although a Mormon family offered to, as did a retired Relief Society general board member I used to clean home for. I was too proud to accept either offer, because the Mormons refused to help me with my extremely difficult mother when I needed help before becoming homeless.

So for a time I lived with a kingpin drug dealer and his lapsed Mormon family on the same street as my mother; and an even shorter time with some Hells Angels. That was mid-1970's. I shudder to think what my life would be like today were I homeless now living there.

Anywhere was better than living with my mom. That was an impossible arrangement after my parents divorce. I ended up moving to Silicon Valley, financed by a wealthy aunt and uncle who helped see me through to high school graduation by keeping a roof over my head in a semi-independent living program at the time created by who else? But a LDS social worker in Silicon Valley. I couldn't escape Mormonism no matter where I ended up lol. She was like a Mother Hen, who looked after her brood of teenage girls not able to live at home. Most of the other girls came from very affluent families. I was the country bumpkin from Idaho and Utah. I was the only Mormon who spent time in that program. But it was a godsend at the time. It probably saved my life.

The kids today in crisis - where can they turn to for help if it's non-existent? :(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2018 05:40PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 10:33AM

Actually, it's the 15-25 cohort, a period when many youth have gained their freedom from parental control, have strong feelings of empowerment and immunity from negative consequences, and lack a mature moral compass. Many other factors enter in, including access to alcohol and drugs, individual rebellion from parents and cultural norms, and certain immature neurological functions involving the amygdala, hippocampus and basal ganglia.

These various factors tend to moderate in the late twenties, but in the mean time, it can be a pretty rough road. Sociologists pay attention to the ups and downs of population bumps with this in mind.

Date: May 11, 2018 10:52AM

So you're saying many of these hoods will outgrow their tendencies by late 20's? Sounds encouraging for that age group.

The ones who don't will end up either dead or in prison or on the lam from the law.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 05:14PM

I'm speaking in the larger context of demographics, so yes, a lot will. They mature, get into serious jobs and relationships, settle down. Of course, quite a few will not. What makes things different, is 1) My unverified guess is that the percentage which remain recalcitrant at 25 is larger than it was 20 or 50 years ago, 2) The range of criminality (more involvement in more serious crime) is more extensive, 3) the increased access to and use of serious drugs, and 4) the deterioration of education levels, especially in the social sciences and humanities (i.e. proficiency in gender studies but not civics).

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 11:18AM

Maybe the spirit constraineth them.

Date: May 11, 2018 11:29AM

Which spirit?

The Holy Ghost? Or Al Capone?

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 12:15PM

Is it any wonder that homicides and aggravated assaults, the crimes that drove this up, are on the rise in a state which has liberal gun laws and people who are unafraid to use them?

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 12:27PM

jacob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it any wonder that homicides and aggravated
> assaults, the crimes that drove this up, are on
> the rise in a state which has liberal gun laws and
> people who are unafraid to use them?

Hmmmm... These eggs from American chickens really confuse this Canuck.

Am I not to believe that liberal gun laws means less crime? Isn’t that why school teachers in Florida need guns?

What sort of counter-culture wisdom are you offering up here, Jacob? You a dirty hippy, or what?

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 01:05PM

What I find so interesting is the Polynesian gangs in Utah.

No doubt most of them are descendants of the people who were imported by the Mormon church.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 04:38PM

When I was growing up in the 80's there were a couple of Tongan families who lived in our West Valley neighborhood. My younger brother liked to tag along when I went up the street to play with my friends, but I knew if I managed to get past one of the Tongans' houses, he'd never follow. He was too scared of the elderly grandmother who would use a knife to pick weeds out of the lawn. This same family once killed a horse with a hammer in their backyard for a celebration (or so I was told) and the other Tongan family kept their dead grandpa in the backyard (or so the story went).

Who knows if there's any truth to those stories that went around.

In the 90's the Tongan Crypt Gang was a thing on the west side.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: May 12, 2018 06:59PM

That population would probably contribute more to theft although assault is pretty common with that population. We need to remember these are figures for the entire state of Utah population about 3 million . I doubt the homeless population could drive crime up very much statistically given the very small percentage of the overall population that this group is.Once again the biggest factor in crime is age . The younger a group the more crime , the older the group less crime . Utah has lots of people at prime criminality age . That simple .

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 07:35PM

I agree. This has little to do with Mormonism and more to do with age.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.