Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hatmagic ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 11:03AM

I heard a story on the mormon channel on my way to get coffee this morning. It was on their segment "stand up". I think it is targeted towards the youth. Anyway the guy says he was told about an experience by a mormon guy going into the Marines. He was doing PT with his company....running while saying a cadence. Well the story goes that the cadence had some foul language in it, and when it came to those words, the mormon guy would not say them.

So the guys drill instructor notices what he is doing, stops the run and gets in the guys face, and then tells him to drop and do 50 pushups as punishment.

Then, the STORY goes, an officer comes by asks what is going on. Tells the mormon to stand up and the mormon tells the officer that he thought the marines stood for honor and integrity.....blah blah....and said that he did not use foul language. So the officer tells the instructor to drop and do the 50 pushups...AND....when they start the cadence again, no one in the company used the foul language when they got to that part.
Now that story is obviously BS. But because the youth are brainwashed into believing that leaders never lie, and it’s safe to follow/believe what leaders say, many who hear this SH!T, are going to take it as the truth.

Anyone else have a MORmON Tall Tale?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 12:00PM

hatmagic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard a story on the mormon channel on my way to
> get coffee this morning. It was on their segment
> "stand up". I think it is targeted towards the
> youth. Anyway the guy says he was told about an
> experience by a mormon guy going into the Marines.
> He was doing PT with his company....running while
> saying a cadence. Well the story goes that the
> cadence had some foul language in it, and when it
> came to those words, the mormon guy would not say
> them.
>
> So the guys drill instructor notices what he is
> doing, stops the run and gets in the guys face,
> and then tells him to drop and do 50 pushups as
> punishment.
>
> Then, the STORY goes, an officer comes by asks
> what is going on. Tells the mormon to stand up and
> the mormon tells the officer that he thought the
> marines stood for honor and integrity.....blah
> blah....and said that he did not use foul
> language. So the officer tells the instructor to
> drop and do the 50 pushups...AND....when they
> start the cadence again, no one in the company
> used the foul language when they got to that part.
>
> Now that story is obviously BS. But because the
> youth are brainwashed into believing that leaders
> never lie, and it’s safe to follow/believe what
> leaders say, many who hear this SH!T, are going to
> take it as the truth.
>
> Anyone else have a MORmON Tall Tale?

It could be true. One of my daughters was in a school orchestra and some were using bad language. My daughter said it boethered her and....never again did any utter such words in her presence,

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 10:51PM

and I was in the Navy and stationed at Camp Pendleton with the Marines.

Basic is for molding people to obey orders and to go into war. I doubt the Marines are going to change a cadence in bootcamp of all places because someone doesn't like to curse.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 12:02PM

The biggest problem that Mormonism has is the the leaders would rather lie when it is cheaper to tell the truth.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 12:04PM

My favorite is the returned missionary soldier who was blown up by a roadside bomb in Iraq. His arms, legs and head were blown off but the area under his garments was untouched! Of course he was killed but what a testimony.......

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 07:23PM

Shinehah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My favorite is the returned missionary soldier who
> was blown up by a roadside bomb in Iraq. His arms,
> legs and head were blown off but the area under
> his garments was untouched! Of course he was
> killed but what a testimony.......

Lolol! Of course he would have been much more dead had his torso been blown up also. Thank goodness for those wonderful magic garments!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 12:18PM

MORmON tall tales ......you mean like Jesus visiting America post resurrection (and then completely disappearing for 2000 years) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5eqps2O7s8

or that Joe saw god, just believe as instructed

https://youtu.be/jv4vhsg4vCs

Posted by: jettrink ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 12:28PM

The still small voice directing you in the right path. Dad starts crying every time he tells that story. I think it is a bunch of crap.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 02:37PM

No officer would ever and I mean ever punish a drill instructor/Sergeant like this in front of the people they were commanding.

It would break down the command structure and shatter any confidence the recruits had in their leader.

Any military person would call this as pure fantasy.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 03:16PM

Some many holes in this faith-affirming myth. We didn't use obscene language in running chants (1968, PI). The D.I. definitely cussed us out in all sorts of obscene, racial (NOT racist!), and vulgar ways. (I was nicknamed "four-eyed puke," among others.) But not in running chants.

A DI would not likely notice a single recruit's lips going silent on selected words. He's watching the overall unit performance and checking for any recruits who might be in physical distress.

There is nothing unusual for a recruit to be doing pushups under the kind, benevolent, watchful eye of a D.I. Nobody would give it a second glance.

If necessary, a superior officer would speak to the D.I. later, out of sight of the platoon.

No, let me tell you about the time outside the wire on Firebase Argonne I had two holes in my chest, and the inspired, healing words of Mary Baker Eddy came immediately to my mind...

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 05:03PM

Your analysis, Caffiend, was similar to my thoughts.

For the OP, I heard a very similar version of this story during my days at BYU. But, even in the fictions “Dead Poets’ Society,” not every student stands for Mr. Keating—it’s too implausible.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 10:57PM

I went to RTC Great Lakes (Navy boot camp) in 2012. Again, no profanity in cadences. And again, there would have been no chance of anyone contradicting an RDC (Navy equivalent of a Drill Instructor) or anyone in the chain of command and coming away unscathed.In boot camp I was on deck watch with a guy from the next division when he told a recruit that the recruit's RDC was wrong about something. Poor guy was PT'd every night until he let Great Lakes. Mormons could start a fertilizer company with all the BS in that story.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 10:55PM

But you probably weren't born yet :-)

In Orlando, I got my whole company mashed for something dumb. They were looking for a reason. Still sucked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 10:55PM by Beth.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 02:45PM

Paul Dunn never learned a simple lesson, and it's why he slunk away disgraced:

If you're going to make up bullshit stories, don't use real names -- and always say "I heard this story..." Instead of "This happened to me..."

;)

Date: June 10, 2018 05:10PM

One day, I was hiking on one of the lesser known paths on Mt. Palomar with my buddy, Hietokolob. Then, this coven of rattlesnakes came out and started biting him. There must have been 35 rattlesnakes injecting venom into my friend. Poor Hie was closing down quickly.

I chased the pit vipers away and stripped off Hie’s clothes. But, it was no use, both he and I knew it was the end. I propped Hie up and gave him the last bit of water in my water bottle. With amazing clarity, Hie told me he was wrong—Joseph Smith was a prophet and the church was true.

It was a somber afternoon as I buried my buddy. But, Hie’s words rang in my head, “Tell the folks on RFM that they’re wankers!

Paul Dumb’s Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 05:11PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 05:16PM

Wow, such an ignoble ending for me...

But, hey, if it strengthens somebody's testimonkey...! :)

Date: June 10, 2018 08:03PM

Dude, you’re alive! Shhhhhhhh! Nobody’s supposed to know until the movie deal is complete and distributed. Remember, we split the profit 50/50.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 03:28PM

The first time I heard a story related to thid was the BYU production of 'The Music Man' where the mayor's daughter says "Ye gods!", changed to "Ye gosh!"

Never mind that it's part if the joke about obsession with all things GREEK.

I didn't ask if they changed the line about "...they'll be tryin' out Taylor Mades like cigarette feeeends!"

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 09:22PM

Have I ever shared the time a bumble bee entered the back window of a Mormon driven station wagon on a Saturday service project?

The bee and the scouts lived in harmony just like the Jaredites and their barges.

That was a fib.

However, six deacons and myself got stung by wasps when we were trimming bushes at a widow's house.

That was true!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 09:28PM

The tall tale that always bothered me was the story that claimed Kimball was annoyed that doctors at the hospital were taking the Lord's name in vain. Kimball asked them to stop and these doctors blathered that they were deeply troubled for using such language.

Well didn't Kimball get operated at the LDS Hospital?

Wasn't now President Nelson Kimball's doctor?

My BS meter has always gone full tilt when I hear that story.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 11:14AM

The way I heard it it wasn't the doctors but the orderly that was pushing his bed. While entering the elevator he hit something and cursed causing SWK to think up a future conference talk.

Date: June 11, 2018 02:04PM

I heard that too from SWK. The question is, did someone really say that to him, or did he just make it up to create a virtue signaling moment in his mind?

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 10:39PM

At this point in faith promoting BS, I'm surprised the Mormons don't have a "power of prayer" story that ends with "And when they got out of the car, dangling from the handle was. . .A HOOK!"

Posted by: Brother Bacon Sandwich ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 10:34PM

Haha!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 11:19PM

I know that boot camp tale is BS. I too left out the "bad" words in the marching chants in basic training. Others noticed and made fun of me, but the drills said nothing.

Posted by: readwrite-NLI ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 01:39PM

Bunnies.
Play Boy!
I will.
I AM!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.