Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 10:05PM

I found out today that my dentist is Mormon.At first I did not think he was because he has a beard but then he told my wife where he went on his mission and that he likes " the church "now he is a really good guy and a skilled dentist . MY question is would any of you not go to a doctor because they are LDS? I will see any Dr. who is with one big exception.I would never go to a psychiatrist or a psychologist. Can't really put my finger on it as to why

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Notelling ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 10:29PM

Well I choose an LDS doctor over a Muslim doctor because I am Jewish and the Muslim might want to kill me whereas the LDS might not like me but probably won't want to kill me.........yeah that is a bit of a stretch but it is partially true.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 10:31PM

than by a Muslim doctor, but that's just me.

Do you ask your doctors what religion they are?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 10:35PM by Beth.

Date: June 11, 2018 10:35PM

I have never had a religious conversation with a physician or dentist or lawyer that I've hired, though. That hasn't been my experience, and I find it unprofessional to bring religion into the workplace.

BUT

I guess if you're cool with the dentist, who cares what religion they are unless they yap about religion and it gets on your nerves?

ETA: No - we had a conservative Christian dentist - there were religious posters all over the walls of the waiting room. I thought it was weird but we didn't stop going there. Good dentist. Weird décor.

EATA: I understand that it's a completely different situation in the Morridor where almost every aspect of life is imbued with religion.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 12:10AM by Beth.

Date: June 11, 2018 10:50PM

I check the online bio but no I don't talk religion at all. But LDS are generally not known for violence (I know some of you disagree) whereas Muslims are (I know some of you disagree).

Date: June 11, 2018 11:00PM

put in all that hard work JUST TO KILL PEOPLE? REALLY?!

"Oh, yeah. I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to work my ASS of in undergrad, study like a fool for the MCAT, get virtually NO SLEEP during my internship and residency and KILL JEWS!"

That plan is worse than the underwear gnomes'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 01:12AM by Beth.

Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 11:22PM

I would never go to a Mormon psychologist. No telling how they would try to warp your brain and report the findings to cult HQ.

Date: June 11, 2018 11:37PM

Date: June 11, 2018 11:22PM

Yeah it was more of a joke than what I consider a real threat, I have had Muslim Doctors and they were good and nice to me. But I really don't know where there head is, even if they consider me an infidel, I know they are not going to kill me but what are they thinking? Do I want someone to treat me that thinks I am an infidel??

I am really not paranoid, I never spend time thinking about this but this thread mentioned Doctors, and LDS is a religion just like Muslim is a religion, so why would anyone here not want to go to an LDS doctor? They had bad experiences in the religion and want to stay away from the influence. Just replace the word LDS with Muslim, it could happen (that people want to stay away from possible even if unlikely danger), if it happens in LDS why not have it happen in Muslim or any religion for that matter the thing is most religions at least don't want to kill the infidel, I know some probably do. LDS is harmful in it's own way, so is Muslim, and probably most religions if taken to the extreme.

So why wouldn't a Jewish person (or any person, but Jewish is an extra strike against me) not even think about the real facts of 9/11 and the real fact that Muslim countries are being taken over by radical Muslims....yes not everyone is radical, and probably most doctors aren't. But do they support the radical ones???

Date: June 11, 2018 11:42PM

My guess is that they're probably busy supporting their kids' college funds.

Is religion listed in online bios?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 12:01AM

Notelling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah it was more of a joke than what I consider a
> real threat, I have had Muslim Doctors and they
> were good and nice to me.

This is not a joke--this is spreading suspicion and hatred (the total opposite of tikkun olam: "repairing the world").

I am a Jew, and I have personally known hundreds of Jews during my life, plus I read and see Jewish media of all kinds, and I have never heard or seen what you are saying here--not even in Israel, not even among the rightest of the Israeli right-wing.

This site is a positive good, and does not exist to spread suspicion and hated among anyone touched by it.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 11:26PM

If you live in Utah, it's almost impossible to find a non-lds dentist. I think a DDS degree is prerequisite to becoming bishop.

Date: June 11, 2018 11:37PM

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 11:40PM

StillAnon Wrote:
> If you live in Utah, it's almost impossible to
> find a non-lds dentist. I think a DDS degree is
> prerequisite to becoming bishop.

The reason that there are so many Mormon dentists is because they really wanted to be MDs, but after having spent two years on a mission the medical training would have taken too long, and they wouldn't have as easily been admitted to med school because of their age.

Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 11:42PM

nli Wrote:
> StillAnon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you live in Utah, it's almost impossible to
> > find a non-lds dentist. I think a DDS degree is
> > prerequisite to becoming bishop.
>
> The reason that there are so many Mormon dentists
> is because they really wanted to be MDs, but after
> having spent two years on a mission the medical
> training would have taken too long, and they
> wouldn't have as easily been admitted to med
> school because of their age.
Same in AZ, lots of Mormon dental people.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 11:31PM

My only issue with going to a Mormon professional of any sort is that 10% of what I pay them will end up in the coffers in Salt Lake. Which means that, even indirectly, I'm still supporting them

Date: June 11, 2018 11:39PM

That's a good point. On the one hand, I think well, so and so might be donating to [something I abhor]. BUT yes, if they're LDS, you know where 10% is going.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 11:34PM

When I was a believing member, I went to my very TBM doctor and inquired about getting my tubes tied. I knew I didn't want any more children and was approaching 40. He was somewhat against it but I wasn't there to ask his permission. I had him refer me to a gynocologist and I had the procedure done.

Date: June 11, 2018 11:39PM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 12:16AM

gemini Wrote:
> When I was a believing member, I went to my very
> TBM doctor and inquired about getting my tubes
> tied. I knew I didn't want any more children and
> was approaching 40. He was somewhat against it
> but I wasn't there to ask his permission. I had
> him refer me to a gynocologist and I had the
> procedure done.

When I first got married [I was 17; he, now deceased,was 19 at the time], we knew we had a potential problem with any children we might have because of our combined genetics: he had Type I diabetes, he had been released from the Marines because of it, and his mother had died from it when he was 12. My mother had Type I diabetes when she was growing up (but was able to "grow out of it" by the time she hit adulthood through a fairly strict diet).

In any case, we needed for him to get a vasectomy because we had been told that, with our combined genetic backgrounds, 75% of our kids "would" (mathematically) have diabetes, and the other 25% would be carriers. Not something either one of us wanted to pass on.

We went to a highly-recommended local family doctor who we had no idea was Mormon (or what the doctor "being Mormon" might mean), and he agreed that the mathematics of any future children we might have were accurate, but regardless of this, he would not do the vasectomy. (EDITED TO ADD: the doctor lectured us, in a demeaning, "I am SO much wiser than you are," way, with the intent of making us feel that we were "wrong" to not have children, REGARDLESS of the medical certainties involved. He was trying to use his "authority" to convey to us: Do not even THINK about doing this--it is WRONG!, and he never explained his personal religious belifs which were the reason for his refusal AND his "lecture.")

We got another referral from my husband's sister and his brother-in-law, to a doctor in Beverly Hills, who DID do the vasectomy.

To this day, I think the doctor we first went to should have said: "I am Mormon/LDS, and this is against my religious beliefs, and this is why I refuse to do the vasectomy."

I have avoided Mormon doctors ever since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 04:31PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 11:47PM

I have a Muslim dentist, and he's the best I've ever had. He makes me feel at ease in the dentist chair, and is patient and compassionate about the fear of pain.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 11:51PM

I have a touchy-feely dentist from India. I think he is a pretty good dentist. I don't think he is a mormon bishop.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 12:23AM

a doctor who isn't mormon, although it is possible. Our last dentist was mormon and talked about mormon stuff all the time. He was also horrible in so many ways. I found my own new dentist and I tend to believe he is mormon or inactive mormon, but he never says a thing and he doesn't have BofM in his waiting room or Ensigns.

Now the doctors I've had in the last 10 years, the first was so mormon he'd make you sick. He thought he was my boss. The next doctor was exmormon and he also thought he was my boss, could order me around. I tend to really rebel against men who try to boss me around after being mormon for so long.

BUT my doctor I've had for the last 3 years (and no longer) is a woman and she isn't mormon and I'm sorry, but she has some big issues.

Hard to find a good doctor. I posted about why I'm not going to my doctor anymore. She joined a group called MDVIP and it is quite shocking. I actually just got a survey to fill out from my insurance company about this doctor. I've never had that happen before. I tend to wonder if people are complaining and this insurance provider is going to remove her from their provider list. My insurance provider is the biggest one in the state as my "ex" works for Intermountain Healthcare and I'm on his insurance as we have never divorced.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 03:06AM

When choosing a dentist I researched him and on intellius and FB to make sure he wasn't a cult member. I was happily greeted with his collection of beer mugs in his waiting room and that he was german born. I'm not in Utah so it's pretty easy getting a non Mormon one.

Posted by: hippiegypsy ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 02:49PM

I've been married 3 times to MORmON men so have spent hours in LDS Social Services. Can emphatically say that I'll never go to a Mormon counselor, psychologist, psychiatrist ever again in my life. I'm guilty of lots of things (bad judgment mostly) but unfailingly the fault was always found to be mine... whenever my THEN husband and I would walk out of a counseling session at LDSSS. Didn't matter that I was cheated on, beaten, kept in isolation from family and friends, etc. I genuinely thought I was a horrible person and took the blame for 100% of the problems. Now I know how unprofessional and hurtful all those years of advice were. How TSCC brainwashes and keeps their lammies in line. Had a huge negative impact on my life and took years to overcome feelings of worthlessness.
BUT, like many others have stated, I'd go to any doctor who was LDS (other than a head shrink) who didn't flaunt it or advertise it in any way. I once stopped going to a Mormon dentist because I could 'feel' the Mormon-y vibes when I walked into his office. The front desk girls would immediately give me the once up and down looks and no smiles of course, because I'm wearing spaghetti straps in 110 degree heat, (no garms) and a decent looking person to boot. That dentist put an unneeded crown on my son's tooth. glued the permanent crown on crooked too. He blatantly flew his Mormon flag... with his snooty office staff and unnecessary treatment plan, so I never went back.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 03:00PM

I go to my dentist because he's very good as was his father before him. The fact he's Mormon (maybe even a bishop) is irrelevant to me. We talk basketball.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.