Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoBro ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:11PM

I’ve seen some scathing comments about the soda shops all over Utah, but if you stop and think about it, coffee is even more unhealthy.

Coffee: Fattening milk, lots of whipped cream and sugar, plus syrups and other things

Soda: Sugar

Yes, they’re both unhealthy, but coffee’s sugar and fat content is way up there.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thorn ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:18PM

Fancy modern coffee from the $5 a cup shops is just a hot milkshake. Normal coffee with no sugar and a bit of milk is much healthier than sodas. No expert just my opinion

Posted by: Beatmeatsparingly ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 04:00PM

I agree. Studies continue to show that coffee is good for heart health...the opposite of what I told everyone on my mission.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:22PM

Sugar in coffee, why?

Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:50PM

I've tried drinking black coffee. Not sure how people can drink it. Does the bitter taste go away after time? Everyone swears by black coffee.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:54PM

Aesthetics I guess.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 09:49AM

Make sure it's good coffee.
The typical cheap swill that many Americans drink is horrible stand-alone.
Good, dark, rich coffee that's flavorful and robust not only doesn't need cream & sugar & syrup, it's made worse by adding them!

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 10:55AM

Black is my favorite, I even like most gas station coffee. Anything fresh is good. Just keep putting less and less sweetener in it until you don't need any.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:24PM

Why do you think that "coffee" means: "fattening milk, lots of whipped cream and sugar, plus syrups and other things"?

I drink one cup of "coffee" per day, as part of my breakfast, precisely FOR health reasons, and it consists of:

1) one cup of organic milk

2) a few drops of liquid stevia for sweetening

3) one teaspoon of instant coffee from Papua New Guinea (because I am interested in Papua New Guinea, and this gives me a chance to vicariously "be there" on Mount Hagen (in a most exceptionally safe way), once a day

Add in my supplements, plus a Quest bar (20 grams of protein, 15 grams of fiber)...plus six forkfuls of fermented vegetables (Wildbrine brand: could be beet and cabbage, or: cauliflower/cabbage/turmeric, or: cabbage/arame (sea vegetable)/ginger...

...and this is breakfast.

Can you come up with a breakfast which is healthier?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2018 09:25PM by Tevai.

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 04:40AM

Tevai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why do you think that "coffee" means: "fattening
> milk, lots of whipped cream and sugar, plus syrups
> and other things"?
>
> I drink one cup of "coffee" per day, as part of my
> breakfast, precisely FOR health reasons, and it
> consists of:
>
> 1) one cup of organic milk
>
> 2) a few drops of liquid stevia for sweetening
>
> 3) one teaspoon of instant coffee from Papua New
> Guinea (because I am interested in Papua New
> Guinea, and this gives me a chance to vicariously
> "be there" on Mount Hagen (in a most exceptionally
> safe way), once a day
>
> Add in my supplements, plus a Quest bar (20 grams
> of protein, 15 grams of fiber)...plus six forkfuls
> of fermented vegetables (Wildbrine brand: could be
> beet and cabbage, or:
> cauliflower/cabbage/turmeric, or: cabbage/arame
> (sea vegetable)/ginger...
>
> ...and this is breakfast.
>
> Can you come up with a breakfast which is
> healthier?

Terai,Papua New Guinea is the most beautiful place-raw,primitive,pristine with people struggling to enter the modern era directly from the Stone Age.To walk through aHighlands market and see painted,nose-pierced tribesmen,armed with enormous machetes stop to pluck a roadside flower to adorn their enormous hair wigs but with a portable radio is to see this contrast.

Coffee is the chief,indeed for many,the only cash crop for the subsistence gardeners. Many have only a half a bag of coffee cherries to sell for their entire year's cash. Goroka,the most civilized of the Highland towns has a small coffee roasters and their beans are exceptional.

Unfortunately,all the evangelicals and now,alas, including the Mormons are encroaching into this Paradise. PNG is not for everyone,there is considerable danger in the cities, but the Highlands are superb.

Date: June 27, 2018 09:26PM

JoBro Wrote:
> Coffee: Fattening milk, lots of whipped cream and
> sugar, plus syrups and other things

> Thoughts?

I drink my coffee black.

It's not the coffee that's "unhealthy," it would be any of that stuff. Don't blame the coffee for the other stuff's problems :)

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 10:49PM

Seems almost Mormon to ruin coffee by adding to it and then blame the coffee.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:30PM

Stevia is my sweetener of choice in coffee. Fat free half-and-half is my creamer.

Coffee overall is healthier than soda, without the sugar and fat.

Also, soda especially colas, and some others have toxic chemicals in them.

https://healthy-living.knoji.com/12-harmful-ingredients-in-power-drinks-colas-artificial-juice-drinks/

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 02:27PM

Hi AmyJo, I was just curious what brand of pure Stevia that you use?

Posted by: Beatmeatsparingly ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 04:09PM

I’ve read that fat-free half-and-half is not good for you. It’s not technically half-and-half (milk and cream) at all, and it’s actually associated with more weight gain than regular half-and-half. Still surely better than sucking down a bunch of soda.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:43PM

Healthy ... water
Unhealthy ... soda

Your dentist’s Boner.

Date: June 27, 2018 09:45PM

My last two dentists (stellar dentists,) have been smokers.

I don't understand why other than if they're addicted. That much I get.

Date: June 27, 2018 09:47PM

If facts mattered, there wouldn’t be smokers. The Surgeon General’s Boner.

(Damn, I’m starting to sound like Hie!)

Date: June 28, 2018 09:51AM

Oh, the horror!

<grin>

You're right, of course.
And a little bit wrong.

A person can know the facts about smoking's damage, and still decide the pleasure is worth the risks. :)

Date: June 28, 2018 10:17PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> And a little bit wrong.

You honor me dear sir! Mrs. Boner just tell me, YOU’RE WRONG! Pardon me while I go enjoy a smoke. The Marlboro Man’s Boner.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:46PM

Am I the only one who calls it “ pop”?
Soda reminds me of ice cream shakes for some reason.
I eat a lot of protein bars and drinks too, since I hardly eat meat.

Date: June 27, 2018 09:49PM

We called it pop growing up in Idaho.

I call it soda most of the time. And sometimes call it soda pop.

:)

Date: June 27, 2018 09:51PM

Tonic in New England.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:51PM

Which term you choose is often based on where you grew up.

https://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/on-the-map-tell-us-what-you-call-your-drink

Date: June 27, 2018 09:52PM

Both my parents and all my relatives call it pop too.( Midwestern)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:56PM

That's what I was going to guess. I had a friend in college who always called it "pop," pronounced something like "paap." She was from Wisconsin.

Posted by: rosysam ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 02:56AM

I wanna pop pop pop. I wanna shhhhhhhhhhhhhhasta. I wanna taste pizaz. All the great taste Shasta has.

It's amazing how commercials can get stuck in your brain permanently!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:55PM

If you add all those things to coffee it is unhealthy, but it's not the coffee that is the problem.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 10:12PM

Exactly. Thank you.

Apples are good for you too until you turn them into a pie loaded with sugar and topped with ice cream.

The Mormon church is good for you until you add the false doctrine, enforced obedience, bigotry, and access to your check book--for starters.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 10:59AM

I'm pretty sure that any health food that you add sugar, fat, and syrup to become unhealthy.

I think it's not the coffee that is unhealthy.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 10:00PM

Coffee is is good for you. Made by nature. Adding chemicals, not so good. But saying soda is better is just disingenuous.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 10:58PM

I drink my coffee black, so it's actually healthier than soda as there's no sugar or other stuff in it. Since I've replaced the bulk of my soda intake with water, unsweetened tea(hot or iced), and coffee, I've lost weight.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:04PM

One teaspoon of sugar to sweeten coffee. Over 8 teaspoons of sugar in a soda. Many people drink coffee black.

I just use a couple teaspoons of sweet cream, which equals one teaspoon of sugar.

I drink iced tea with no sugar and two slices of lemon.

Orange Fanta is Nazi poison, my friend.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:05PM

I've been meaning to ask you, Don, those magnets - how do they work.

/meme

Date: June 28, 2018 02:21AM

Faygo is all American. Fanta was created in Nazi Germany in 1940 as a substitute for Coca Cola.

Date: June 28, 2018 10:53AM

Date: June 28, 2018 03:17PM

Thanks, Beth. I'm not familiar with the group.

Date: June 28, 2018 03:33PM

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:22PM

That’s why I try to limit my intake by making it strong enough to feel on the inside of my face.

Date: June 27, 2018 11:26PM

I'm the one that makes her coffee taste like ice cream. Dammmmnnn gooooood ice cream.

Buy stock in Opalescence, y'all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 09:31AM by Beth.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 01:32AM

JoBro Wrote:

> Coffee: Fattening milk, lots of whipped cream and
> sugar, plus syrups and other things

Well there's your problem! Somebody tried to make a candy bar in a cup instead of coffee!

A properly made cup of coffee doesn't need any of that. So either change the argument to "A good chunk of the crap Starbucks has on their menu is more unhealthy than soda" or admit you had no clue what the Hell you were talking about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 01:33AM by ookami.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 07:58AM

There are dozens of studies that support coffee as being a healthful drink. Not everyone likes a lot of add-ons to their coffee. I would guess that most people don't.

I drink coffee with half-and-half only. I don't use sweetener or flavorings. My sister-in-law adds only milk instead of half-and-half.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 09:15AM

I guess I'll just have to flavor my coffee with tofu and kale to keep it healthy.

Date: June 28, 2018 09:54AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> I guess I'll just have to flavor my coffee with
> tofu and kale to keep it healthy.

Yum.

Not.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 10:30AM

That's like saying a baked potato is unhealthy because it contains sour cream, bacon, cheese, chili, nacho sauce, butter, etc. Sure the broccoli might be healthy but not with all the other stuff.

???

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 01:58PM

Hey JoBro, there is numerous scientific studies that establish the many health benefits of coffee. Probably one key positive is the reduction of Type II diabetes. Of course any food item can be laden w/ fat and sugar, but coffee doesn't have to be buttered up like that (no pun intended). To keep coffee healthy, as Amyjo said, just use pure Stevia and non-fat half and half.

As far as soda pop, the sugar primarily makes it a huge health risk for obesity and diabetes. Even diet soda, although non-caloric, the sweetener's still elicit a insulinogenic response, overworks the pancreas like sugar does, and can make you become a diabetic.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 02:19PM

And the problem with Utah soda shops are:

the serving sizes could sustain a third world village.

not only is there massive amounts of sugar, but they are "dirtied" with half and half. Word of Wisdom my ass.

the cutesy, vaguely risqué names of the drinks makes Mormons feel sophisticated and edgy, when in fact they are about as edgy as a fourth grader.
https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/bm33va/i-drank-down-utahs-dirty-soda-war

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 02:50PM

Not a huge coffee fan, but when I drink it I use a small amount of milk (2%) and tiny bit of sugar or low-cal sweetener. People who drink coffee often say with time one can wean yourself off the added ingredients.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 03:25PM

each individual has slightly different genes/dna, & other body chemistry....

Therefore, what harms one person might not harm another, as in some elderly people have smoked all their lives, but don't get cancer...

(no expert) but I'm reasonably certain that coffee, tea, other things that individuals ingest are the same, individual outcomes, individual effects.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 10:26PM

You think too much, in spurts
In squares, instead of circles

Coffee has none of the 'harmful' constituents of which you speak: MILK?
Sugar?

Soda?

Apples - Oranges
Bad argument

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 02:33AM

It's not coffee, if it's not black. It's something else. Stay far away from the Starbucks counter, it's a sugar/fat shop, like DQ. And Starbucks coffee black is unfit for consumption, which is why they fat/sugar it up.

Posted by: Puff the Magic Dragon 2 ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 01:48PM

Have you heard of Bullet Proof Coffee? I am so addicted to it. It is used for high fat low carb diets. In addition to coffee, you add, heavy whipping cream, 1 tsp. coconut oil, 1 tsp grass fed unsalted butter, a couple of drops of stevia and a little vanilla.

Date: June 30, 2018 01:59PM

That really sounds “ high fat “. I never heard of butter in coffee. “ Bulletproof “ is definitely a good name; you really need a lead stomach to drink that.

Posted by: Puff the Magic Dragon 2 ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 05:49PM

I have it every morning for breakfast and have lost 36 pounds so far.

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 01:10AM

Not unless you drink that coffe straight! Just hook a dark cofee roast right in my arm.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 03:24AM

For a lot of us, Really good (American sold) coffee is wonderful black. Not talking about continental espresso cafe au lait.

The coffee-dessert many people buy and drink is the result of 1) bad coffee (usually either stale or weak, or in the case of Starbucks, over-roasted and bitter 2) Poor preparation (try a French press instead) 3) American sugar habit. Don't blame coffee itself for the milk-shake equivalents that pass for a cup of coffee today.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 01:22PM

These days with my diabetes, I use Splenda® and a bit of whole milk...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 09:30PM

Well I went looking for the classic Ben Franklin quote, "Coffee is proof God loves us and wants to be happy," and apparently there's no evidence for that one. Impossible to "prove a negative," However...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/07/02/625128383/coffee-drinkers-are-more-likely-to-live-longer-decaf-may-do-the-trick-too

>>There's now lots of evidence pointing to its health benefits, including a possible longevity boost for those of us with a daily coffee habit.

>>The latest findings come from a study published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine that included about a half-million people in England, Scotland and Wales. Participants ranged in age from 38 to 73.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.