Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: July 09, 2018 10:19PM

Ok I was reading about ancient Egypt and they didn't believe in hell and only the kings will become gods" sounds like the Mormons! Mormons think that they will become gods to and trying so hard to become one! They build ugly temples instead of pyramids

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: July 09, 2018 11:58PM

Polygamy, elite priesthood class above the law, hidden knowledge, promises of a good afterlife in exchange for sacrifice in this life, do not challenge leaders, possibility of godhood are similarities.

However... there are so many other things that are different.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 12:12AM

A deceased Egyptian would have to know just what to say and do to enter the blessed part of the afterlife. Aside from the embalming and burying him with things he'd need, he had to know the precise incantations and rituals on the other side. So they wrote them out on scrolls which they buried with the body.

Ironically, it was just one such ordinary scroll ("funerary text") that some guy peddled to JS that he "translated" as the Book of Abraham!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 01:47AM

Yes, that is where Sidney Rigdon (one suspected author of the BoM) may have come up with much of the plagiarizing. *Nephi* and *Sam* are said to be Egyptian names.

Egyptology was the big fascination in JS's time. --Probably why a guy was lugging mummies around the country and sold one to Smith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 08:49AM by kathleen.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 11:41AM

I'll try to stay polite, but your claim is utter nonsense and not born out by the historical record.

Unlike Mormonism with less than 200 years of history, you're looking at more than 3,000...

Egyptian beliefs do not lend themselves to easy analyses and understanding; there were lots of Gods over the centuries, and the Egyptians had no problem "elevating" one god to a different role, etc. I found it difficult and complicated--and that was just a single grad-level class--and the tie-ins with Christianity (i.e. "eating the blood and flesh of a god as a sacrament" and the story of the Resurrection--i.e. Osiris--really shook my "Christian faith"--non-LDS--to the core).

I'm still in contact with my old professor who noted to me she "suffered professionally" being at the University of Utah but having the state associated with BYU.

If you want to start learning about actual Egyptology, I suggest beginning with Champollion and the story of the Rosetta Stone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Fran%C3%A7ois_Champollion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 11:43AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 12:59PM

Any wonder that MORmONs believed Joseph's Myth when he depicted God as a sexually aroused Egyptian fertility God in BoA Fax 2 Fig 7?
https://cesletter.org/debunking-fairmormon/book-of-abraham.html#9

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 01:01PM by koriwhore.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.