Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 07:39PM

Because that’s what people do anyway. I should have been leery of any religious traditions started by genocidal maniacs. Being stuck with the God of the victors makes me wonder how many cooler Gods I missed out on. What DNA lines were snuffed out cuz “wrong God”?

Peace, love, and Joseph Smith. Religious playboy taking civilization for a ride. My, how obscene. And how deserving of Brigham Young, who brought his religion back to its genocidal roots. Canaan, Utah, what’s the difference if God told you to do it? The Brighamite empire and its legacy of revealed truth. Yeah, see where that got you. Nobody whose opinion is worth a damn asks you to take their word for it, because that’s not what truth is about. Nobody can reveal your truth for you.

It’s certainly a great mystery. God, no God, whatever gets you through the night, sure, but life also needs meaning. It has the meaning we give it, so it helps to have a why. For that, a reformed civilization-drowning God is okay cuz he promised he wouldn’t do it again. Yeah, but he did it. It’s not something I like to see on a resume.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 08:50PM

in a way that's what the whole protestant movement is all about. Most everyone in America is somehow connected to a protestant church. What's great about that is that there is variety, there is a Christian Coalition and a Southern Baptist Convention that unites American Religiosity, but there is no one church that is all powerful and is too wealthy. That is the distinction of the US against the troubles of Mexico and most of Europe. Those nations are blinded by a really big bad cult with pervert priests in robes and gold that run the show.

The backwardness of Spain, Italy, and Mexico I blame on the Catholic Church.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 09:39PM

That's koriwhore's approach

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 10:52PM

Most of South and Central America are what I refer to as wholly-owned subsidiaries of the Catholic Church. So is Ireland, although I think they're waking up.

The folks who founded the US of A were smart in trying to separate church from state. It's too bad that it's sliding backwards currently. I think a lot of the backsliding is because the folks who get off on telling people what they can and cannot do in their own bedrooms have gotten control of one of the major parties. It's time for the fiscal conservatives (and I don't mean the Tea Party) to try and get their party back before they become completely irrelevant.

Posted by: anon2day ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 11:19PM

I read a book a few years ago. I found the concept very interesting. A Religion Of One’s Own:A Guide To Create A Personal Spirituality In A Secular World By Thomas Moore.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 12:05AM

Everything old is new again.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 10:03AM

"God bless the child that's got his own."

Babyloncansuckit, why don't you write a hand book for those who just can't afford regular religion and DIY Religion is the best option? No one should be denied their time on their knees. There might be gold in them there hills.

Spiritual Home Depot!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 10:37AM

...or just ditch religion.
Always an option, you know :)

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 11:05AM

...or, do what I did...become a Pastafarian.

It's fun, has no real requirements and besides, it sort of annoys my wife (BONUS!) I actually shouldn't say annoys, it just adds to the fact that even after being together forty years she still doesn't know what to do with my warped sense of humor sometimes.

Cheers, Mateys!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.