Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 04:04PM

I think that it is very defensible that one function of a 'recovery board' is asking for advice from people who have "been through it." But what if one responder's advice just absolutely rubs you the wrong way and you consider it to be absolute 'gibberish'?

Differences of opinion are tolerated but isn't it kind of insulting to the OP, the one asking for advice, to attempt to take a gibberish poster to task, right in the middle of the 'help me please' thread?

Oh, my, what a ticklish pickle!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 04:08PM

Uh, oh. Are you referring to my astrology advice? :(

Date: August 05, 2018 04:19PM

No, Sis. Kathleen, I am not! But lemme go find it and maybe I will!

There are what I'll call 'discussion' threads, where someone throws out a thought and we all contribute. I have no problem in such a thread calling out gibberish. And my call-out is likely to be gibberish to someone else and THAT PERSON calls ME out! That's good stuff, in my book.

It's the genuine "I need help" threads that I'm talking about. I just don't see that it's helpful to the OP in those threads to spout off about how dumb I think a bit of advice was. And I'd like to be told that I'm wrong... But I don't think I am.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 06:54PM

Elder dog, it can’t be. Don’t tell me you made it this far and still thought someone asking for advice is asking for advice.

Date: August 05, 2018 07:12PM

Yeah, I know... 94.2% are in it more for the attention than for the advice, but who am I to play ghawd?

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 03:17PM

I don’t think it’s attention. I just think people need to vent and want to be heard. People are going to do what they damn well please, anyway.

Date: August 07, 2018 11:25PM

I enjoy telling people what they want to hear - and then watch my fellow advice-givers freak out that I could say such things. If only i were funny like E-dog.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 08:52PM

Well I for one always like reading your views on the subjects presented. they are interesting posts.

Date: August 05, 2018 09:06PM

He’s best in my opinion when it’s wisdom couched in sarcasm. That’s why this post caught me off guard—-

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 10:14AM

Without gibberish, a thread wouldn't be at all representative of the real world.

Without somebody calling out the gibberish, a thread wouldn't be useful -- it would be more like the church, where gibberish is not only allowed to go unchallenged, it's celebrated as "truth."

Bring on both, I say :)

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 10:27AM

Oh My God Particle! Without gibberish, what do I have left to offer?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 10:31AM

Gibberish is how you make it all the way to the top--if you know what I mean. ;)

Speaking your mind clearly with reason is no way to succeed. How do you argue with someone who doesn't make sense? They win by default every time.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 11:33AM

Well, there’s always someone different, then they post. When they do, somebody usually doesn’t think it’s worthy, but others place a huge amount of faith in it. It’s a catch 22 in some ways, but not in a bad way if you know what I mean. Can’t we all just get along and share only our thoughts that may uplift at least one other person who is in dire straits. It could be, however that reading and speaking convey different meanings and levels of interpretation, such that no one understands and it comes out toa big brouhaha and the main concern is lost in what should have been the nugget of the crux without prejudice. Therefore, everyone needs to cut out gibberish when it clutters the otherwise crystal clear answer to the dilemma put forth by a troubled soul, thereby causing everything else to fade away and become just fodder for the smaller minds that dwell on those things and can’t see the forest for the trees and so on. It can always be an opinion, or not.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 02:19PM

Nicely done!

Date: August 07, 2018 04:02PM

Heheheh...

Date: August 07, 2018 11:22PM

And it made perfect sense to me—

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 05:36AM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 11:44AM

Can I give you some advice?

$!#$%#@$%!@$%!#$%!#$%

Date: August 07, 2018 02:05PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can I give you some advice?
>
> $!#$%#@$%!@$%!#$%!#$%

No.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 05:31PM

Shoot! Ask questions later.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.