Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 08:45AM

I sat through a devotional here in Edmonton several months ago. I heard the prophet, President Nelson and the person who is running the Church, Wendy talk about the evils of the social media. Both talked about how they prepared, prayed, etc and how it was not an easy task to prepare for their youth world wide fireside. They talked about how the powers of darkness tried to prevent it from happening.

They then tell the youth that social median is not good. Too many people spending too much time on it and told the youth to have a 7 day media fast.

Next testimony meeting in our ward several teenagers get up and talk about how inspired it was and what a great thing the fast was. And how happy they are to be off the social media stuff. I thought maybe the old guy and his wife who runs the Church are right. Maybe I was wrong is being critical of their talks.

Fast forward to two or three days ago and how the Church wants everyone to use social media.

Did they throw the Prophet under the bus?

Was he lying in his talk to us and the youth?

Who really is running the Church?

That was like when President Kimball gave the Priesthood Conference talk, "Don't kill the birdies." It was great. Next thing I know the Church went out and got a hunting reserve in Utah.

Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation why the head guy says one thing and the Church does another?

As for the name change I see it as distancing themselves from the Book of Mormon. Or the Lord is very confused. If you study the D&C, (forgive me Lord for I have sinned using the letters to describe thy Holy Book), it clearly states the name of the Church. They they changed the name later by adding Latter-day Saints. My question which is not a tough one. Did they really have churches back in the time of Christ? is there any records of such stuff other than the LDS Church,(forgive me Lord for I have sinned using the letters to describe thy Holy Church), and the Book of Mormon?

And I still have not gotten a reading on the Ministering thing. I think the term has saturated the membership already. Are people tired of hering about it. I tell people and this is true. I got my degrees from the University of Windsor Canada. It is run by the Holy Fathers. If I wanted to minister I would have gotten my degree in Ministy. It would be legit, not fake like this program.

I just came back from 3 weeks in Mexico and the branch I attended has never heard about it nor are they doing anything about ministering. Maybe it is just for North America.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 08:56AM

¿Donde en México?

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 09:02AM

SEcular Priest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Next testimony meeting in our ward several
> teenagers get up and talk about how inspired it
> was and what a great thing the fast was. And how
> happy they are to be off the social media stuff. I
> thought maybe the old guy and his wife who runs
> the Church are right. Maybe I was wrong is being
> critical of their talks.
>
> Fast forward to two or three days ago and how the
> Church wants everyone to use social media.
>
Sounds like a good reason to not be on social media with the Mormons.

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 10:47AM

They aren't making a whole lot of sense. I also get the feeling that the Prophet isn't really being followed by the brethren. Its like when Oaks, Nelson and Eyring were meeting with the journalists, and Oaks had to jump in and clarify {correct} everything Nelson said.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:00AM

If we see President Wendy's hand in much of what the prophet is doing, so can the senior afossils! But where we find it funny, they must be furious!

Wheeeeeeee!!

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:19AM

"Who really is running the Church?"

Kirton McConkie Law Offices

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 02:40PM

^^^^^^ BINGO!!!^^^^^^

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:34AM

The seven day media fast is not original to Nelson. I heard a story about three people who did this--NPR I think.

The people talked about vast improvements in focus and creativity.

Nelson also warns kids off hard drugs. He's bound to be right here and there.

Posted by: Testiphony (can’t login) ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:41AM

Interesting stuff. Sounds similar to the calls to stay out of debt. TSCC doesn’t care for competition. Too much debt and too much time on social media are indeed things that healthy, functional people ought to avoid. But TSCC doesn’t stop there. Those things are competition to them, hence the confusion. IOW “stay out of debt (unless it’s because of all the tithing you paid)”, and “stay off social media (unless you’re using it to grow the Lord’s brand).”

What must it be like to still swallow this tripe about the powers of darkness assembling to halt the apostle’s message?! LOL they really think they’re special don’t they?

Posted by: Testiphony (can’t login) ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:44AM

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:55AM

Mexico is in (wait for it!)

North America!!

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 02:53PM

I meant to say Canada and USA

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 03:36PM

Isn't the name of the church, exactly the same? Isn't it the same name the Newsroom Style Guide, journalists is supposed to use, in print and in media reports?
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Isn't that it?
Anything else refers to other churches.

All this whining about using the words: Mormonism, Mormon, and LDS is old news.

Is President Nelson "off the rails" and too confused to make sense? Social Media is "good" as long as they are praising the LDS Church and using the correct Newsroom Style Guide. It's bad when everyone is not on board. Has their church announced to the world they have a severe case of narcissism!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2018 03:41PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 04:37PM

The “prophet” isn’t the one running the organization. He’s 93. How much does he really know about social media. They want members to be using social media to promote the cult. They think this is the way to improve their image.
When I was active I heard the cult leaders say things about being on social media during church time on Sunday/ activities. They don’t want people to miss the brainwashing

Posted by: outta the cult ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 10:34PM

Wonder if/when Wendy will start using her Gilead name -

Ofruss

Posted by: manymoremany ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 03:10AM

DON'T DO IT
UNLESS WE [God (tells us to tell you)]
TELL YOU TO
OR NOT TO
Whatever You Do
WATCH OUT

It Might Be WRONG
May Be A Sin

DO NOTHING Unless - and Until - We (Jesus Christ's daddy)
Say to Change, or Stop or keep going or you are excommunicated with or exterminated, whichever comes first.

Who's your daddy?
(TMC/ TLC)
We are your daddy.
Jesus Christ-
SHUT UP KID!

Everything is anti-social
Anti-truth
Anti-BS
Anti-we-high-leaf-I-knee-fights

They don't know who they are so they don't know how to change, or stay the same. Don't know the difference between good and bad. Don't know truth from traffic. Don't want to (or try to) CHANGE because [they think they are DOING ALL THEY CAN] don't know it's possible, or that it would most certainly be for the better.

As individuals and a loose snit collective membershit ruled by a [NON-Elected] king (and queen) [who puts macaroni in his hat and calls it a feather], the followers [of the followers who CALL THEMSELVES leaders, or mis-leaders, as is clear in this (nut) case.

That just one more reason I call it TLC (The Lost Church [wannabe] {people})
Lost it is when you "leader" knows - and CARES - LESS than you, and the world at large [or in this case small].

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.