Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Belle ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 05:56PM

I am a non mormon in SC and I have a new set of neighbors who moved here from Arizona because the dad and college-age daughter play polo. I took the new neighbor Mrs. out to lunch and asked about her children - 2 adult sons back in Arizona, grads of ASU ( What? Not BYU?) By dessert I knew that she ( lunching Mrs. ) was an Osmond inspired teenage convert, her husband is Arizona BIC, and their two sons have left the church, married out of it. Now, my question is - are we supposed to call them ex- Latter-Day-Saints or ex-Mormons? ;)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 06:06PM

I'm afraid you are going to have to refer to them as "former members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints."

Or you could just call them "smart."

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 06:56PM

I wouldn't call them former or ex unless they call themselves that.

Since they've already left the church, it would be acceptable to say they're ex-Mormons IMO. Unless the parents are offended by that. They've been Mormons all their lives until leaving TSCC.

It's what it is. Russ Nelson had a brain fart, and now TSCC has to live with it.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 07:10PM

I'm betting you attended elementary school and high school. Do people call you an ex high schooler?
If you're going to call them anything other than neighbor or friend, call them fortunate.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 07:54PM

This makes me think of the artist formally known as Prince (the musician).

Remember he wanted to be that ~symbol~ and no one knew what the heck it was?

Now we have the church formally known as Mormons. What symbol should we give it? ;-)

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 10:45PM

I think the appropriate symbol has to be a pile of dog s**t.

It's worthless, it stinks and it does nothing beneficial.

Date: October 11, 2018 11:22AM

I'd give you a thumbs up if I could.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 08:01PM

No need to play along with Nelson's game of Simon Says.

Then if they want to correct you, they'll tell you what it is that they think they're supposed to be called (in terms of designating their religion of choice). It could be interesting. If they don't bother trying to correct the Mormon label, that will let you know that they're not fully roboticized Mormons and do some thinking for themselves.

Date: October 11, 2018 11:25AM

Seriously, I don't think they are interested in socializing with the rest of the road. We all like our wine and beer. A lot.

Date: October 11, 2018 11:27AM

Enjoyed and appreciate the answers. Thank you.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 10:56PM

Me: Hey, haven't seen you in ages! How are things going?

Him: Fine. Ended up with 10 kids and now I have 31 grandchildren and a couple of great-grandchildren.

Me: Wow, how cool is that!! Obviously, you're still doing the mormon thing!

Him: Well, no. I'm not a mormon. I'm a member of the church of Jesus Christ and a Latter-day Saint.

Me: Oh, yeah, that Conference thing. That's crazy! You and I grew up mormon and even if I dropped the religious part of it, I'm still a mormon, right? That's all I know! I'm a tribal mormon!

Him: Using the word mormon offends ghawd, and now that the prophet...

Me: Wait a second! If you were like me, you were masturbating to beat the band when we were in high school. Jesus survived all that offensive behavior, and that's got to be more annoying to him than then word mormon. Has Jesus gone all snowflake on us? I think what it is is that you've got a prophet with a stick up his ass.

Him: Nice talking to you, and go to hell !!

Me: I've got dinner reservations there with a really nice group of people. You'd hate us all!!

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 04:41AM

You're supposed to call them normal, well adjusted, [cult escapees] adults. Just don't call them late for dinner. They wouldn't like that. Don't burn it either. They hate that.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 12:15PM

-deleted-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2018 12:19PM by tumwater.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 12:17PM

You can call them Latter-day-ain'ts.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 12:22PM

The Church whose former name rhymed with Norman, Oklahoma!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.