Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 02:04PM

my elderly father and our health problems. The doctor is still making adjustments with my Metformin abd gave my a different version of it. I think it's Glumetza, Glucophage, Fortamet, Riomet, and Glucophage XR. I dont know which. I'm also anemic so I'm taking iron pills twice a day. Also right now I seem to be going though of episode of stomach flu!!

This isn't fun!! I'm still here. But I often do'nt feel like posting. I think some of the posters were hostile to me the last time I posted.

On the bright side of things, it seems that our health problems are making going to church almost impossible!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 02:24PM

Anon2,
HI!!

I was wondering how you were doing. So glad you popped in and let us know how things are going. Sorry to hear that the medical issues both for you and your father are wearing you down some. Including the stomach flu.

Try to you best to ignore those posters who are hostile if at all possible, though I do understand the need to keep healthy boundaries.

Sending you good thoughts and vibes!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 02:25PM

Welcome back, A2!

I am sorry for what you (and your Dad) are going through right now. When medical things get difficult, it is really hard when it comes to the rest of the things in your life.

Ignore hostile posts--and report them if you think they are in the general area of breaking the rules.

I have had to deal with hostile posts, directed at me, in the past and it is never fun...but it is also something that happens pretty generally to everyone on the Internet at some time.

Glad you see your username back up on the Message List!

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 02:25PM

Good to hear from you. Way to find the silver lining. Can't go to church, silver lining.

Glad you are taking time to care for yourself.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 02:55PM

Thanks for popping in. Sorry to hear about your continued health issues. You've sure been a good son to your dad all these years. Hang in there!

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 02:58PM

Between me and our Taco Terrier "Poncho". He takes of us when we're not feeling well at home.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 03:13PM

It's nice to hear from you, Anonymous 2. It sounds like things are tough but you are still optimistic, which is impressive!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 03:22PM

Great to hear from you.

It's always something. Balancing lifestyle choices is a priority check. Totally get it.

When you're over the stomach flu, get the flu shot if you're able.

I've been getting mine for a decade now and it's helped a lot cut down on how often I've gotten the flu and cold during flu and cold season.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 10:24PM

I also recommend the flu shot when you're able to get it, as I've found that it does make a difference. As for those posting negative things, they're just trolls and it's best to ignore them.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 01:57PM

Ask about Victoza injections for Type 2. Works well for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2018 01:58PM by matt.

Date: October 20, 2018 01:02PM

I'm taking the equivalent of Victoza for my condition. It goes by a different label, though the ingredient is same.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 08:27PM

Hi, Anon 2! Good to hear from you. I gather from the meds you mention that you are not having to deal with insulin injections.

My DH is on insulin, and he HATES it. He was warned, while he was still pre-diabetic, that he was headed in that direction, that there was still time to modify his food intake. He didn't.

The one positive thing he has done (recently) is to switch from his lifelong mania for Coca Cola (we live in a border State, and can get the original sugary kind, made in Mexico, rather than the American kind, made with corn syrup or something.)

He is a Mormon, and therefore will not drink REAL iced tea, but I brew up one of a variety of herbal teas, add ice, and he will drink those.I have found all sorts of interesting herbal flavors in our grocery store and in health food stores.

Date: October 17, 2018 08:33PM

I began some medication today that is used to treat diabetes 2. Although that isn't what I'm using it for. I've never needed a medication where I have to give myself a shot before. Today was a first.

We'll see how well it goes. I'm a big ninny. Always was. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 09:10PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I began some medication today that is used to
> treat diabetes 2. Although that isn't what I'm
> using it for. I've never needed a medication where
> I have to give myself a shot before. Today was a
> first.
>
> We'll see how well it goes. I'm a big ninny.
> Always was. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would
> be.

This brings back a whole slew of memories from when I was married to my first husband, who had diabetes. (He didn't have it when he entered the Marine Corps, because they specifically checked for it, pre-entry, due to the fact that his Mom had died from diabetes when he was a child. A couple of years later, though, he had developed it--so he was given a medical discharge from military service.)

My best wishes are with you, Amyjo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2018 09:10PM by Tevai.

Date: October 17, 2018 09:29PM

Thanks, Tevai.

I'm phobic of needles. Was so afraid of giving myself an injection today I became paralyzed. Called my healthcare nurse hotline and was told it's very normal. She said to get myself into the doctors so they could assist me so I'd know how to going forward. I didn't want to go through all that ... so instead, I turned to Dr. YouTube for instructions.

Steeled my resolve, and got through it. The best thing was I barely felt the injection because the pen needle is so thin. It should get easier as I go. Not that I want to be a seasoned pro at this.

I don't have diabetes but my dad got it later in life. So did one of his sisters, a favorite aunt of mine. I'm predisposed to getting it, so try to be aware of being pro-active about that.

Date: October 19, 2018 10:30PM

I did not realize that having diabetes would qualify someone in military with a military discharge. Wowsy.

Losing his mom as a child, that had to be rough as well.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 19, 2018 08:40PM

give myself daily injections of stuff that would prevent formation of blood clots. That went on for about two weeks.

UGH! I can remember days when I aimed the needle at the proper place, and it seemed to veer away of its own accord. Toward the end, it was really, REALLY difficult.

I have seen kids who were born with Type 1 who were so accustomed to injections that they didn't even pay attention. If they were involved in a conversation, they wouldn't even break rhythm in their speech. I found that amazing.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: October 19, 2018 09:45PM

I’m that way after 20 years of allergy injections. The dentist however paralysis sets in.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 20, 2018 06:35AM

I'm glad you returned, anonymous2!! You were missed.
I hope your health improves. I wonder if there are gummies for iron supplements? I can only stomach vitamins in gummy form.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 20, 2018 08:53AM

I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetis three months ago. Since then, I dieted away 44 lbs and found an herbal supplement that in peer reviewed clinical studies/trials/publications, is proven to be every bit equal to Metformin in effectiveness. It's called Berberine (google it yourself). I am getting blood tests again and seeing the doctor again this coming week. I am hoping she says to stop the Metformin. Dieting alone seems to not work so well any more now that I have only 36 pounds left to go to hit my ideal weight. Time to start exercising this coming week. I hear that for some people who lose the excess weight, that their diabetis goes in to remission and can stay there permanently as long as the weight stays off and you eat healthy for the rest of your life. Has anyone here had that experience?

Date: October 20, 2018 01:12PM

I've heard that about diabetes 2. The better you can control your weight, the better the symptoms seems to be.

My dad had it in his later years. He watched what he ate, cut way down on the alcohol. And only needed to take a pill rather than the insulin shot for it.

The Victoza injection is good for both controlling blood sugar and helping to lose weight, if your insurance covers it.

I've been on anti-estrogen therapy since breast cancer to keep that in remission, and it in turn has caused some weight gain. I was approved to take the Victoza equivalent for weight loss recently, and am now taking injections for that on a daily basis.

It is so expensive there is no way that I could afford it without insurance. I honestly don't know what I'd do without it. By losing some extra weight now will help keep the cancer from reoccurring and diabetes 2 from developing. So it's a win win. My doctor would not have prescribed it were it not for my having breast cancer. They're very conservative about any diet medications. But because of the weight gain from the anti-estrogen med I'm on, I was able to be put on it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 10:01PM

Please feel better soon if you can.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 10:07PM

Hi, A2 1 I'm sorry that you and your dad are still feeling unwell. I know that those heavy-duty iron pills can be a challenge. Maybe that's why your stomach feels off? Hang in there.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: October 20, 2018 05:15AM

I was thinking the same thing, Anonymous 2, about the iron pills. Your doctor or pharmacist might have some suggestions for you. A friend of mine took iron pills when she got pregnant, and she thought she had morning sickness, but it was just those darned pills. Don't take them on an empty stomach.

I think of you often, and I'm glad you checked in with us. Did you end up moving? It's just you and your Dad at home, but you have a sister nearby, right? So, if both you and your Dad needed some TLC, your sister could step in?

Ignore the critical trolls! Who could not love you, and Poncho!

Get well soon. This, too, shall pass.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 20, 2018 01:42PM

Anon 2, did you and your dad ever move to the SLC area, or elsewhere? I remember that the both of you were looking into that.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 20, 2018 02:14PM

Wow. That's tough. Hope you get the right regimen. Diabetes is such a nasty disease. Hubby dealt with it for the last 25 years of his life.
Hang in there. You know there are people here who "get it" and care!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.