Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 01:29PM

& BTW...In YOUR opinion...just what is it that constitutes an "Authentic" Life?

Enquiring minds want to know!!!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 01:43PM

Can Catholics life an authentic life being beholden to a demonstrable fraud?

Can Muslims?

'Cause, see, while neither of those are as recent a fraud as mormonism, and hence parts of the fraud are harder to "prove," their official doctrines/histories both have demonstrable falsehoods.

Me, I try to separate personal authenticity from a person's "traditional" (or raised-in) religion. I know lots of catholics, for example, who don't buy into the full set of official catholic doctrines/histories, but still go to church every week and do all the "sacraments" -- while being good, honest, authentic people.

I think there are mormons in the same boat. How many...I don't know. But they exist.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 01:47PM

They're both nice guys.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 01:57PM

No, because doublethink is the enemy of authenticity. When you change something you "know" overnight because there's a new "Prophet," then you appear to yourself as a fool and a clown when you look hard in the mirror.

Come to think of it, the "Prophet" probably doesn't feel so authentic either. But it's exciting to get all the attention. And 30 or even 5 years later, he looks like the biggest clown of all.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 02:08PM

TSCC is like P.T. Barnum’s circus. It’s all about the show. Drama and clowns are the authentic reality within the tent. Notice the reference to stakes. In Big Top life, the show must go on. Mormonism is the carnival midway that takes your money while providing endless diversion.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 03:34AM

I could go on and on and on as I am prone to do.

I feel more myself than I ever have and I'm an apostate, adulteress sinner. I have always felt more comfortable in the company of sinners. I never felt like myself as a mormon. I never fit in.

Now I don't care if I fit in. Now I just live life as I choose. I was barely my authentic self as a mormon.

I went to a family funeral 2 weeks ago in a mormon stake center (I had attended there many times before when I was young even to see Paul Dunn speak) and it felt so empty. I wondered what I had ever seen being part of that. It actually felt dead. No life in the music, no life in the bishop's speech. Dreary and crushing.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 03:38AM

Yes. Of course they can.

As can anyone else, no matter what philosophy they adhere to.

Posted by: Guy3 ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 04:39AM

I think so. I believe even Scott Gordon and Daniel Peterson live authentic lives.

What I believe to be authentic is to live a life consistent with your values and beliefs.

I, on the other hand, could not live an authentic life in the Church. I come to different conclusions than they did, I couldn't keep believing. And it was hurting me.

Honestly, I think the ones who struggle the most are not Exmos or TBMs. I think the hard way to live an authentic life is for NoMs or the StayLDS crowd.

The last year I was in I was not living an authentic life. And I think that is true for many in. But I do believe it is possible. Just not for me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.