Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AllTheSingleLadies ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 01:02PM

A couple of ladies in my ward sang “Sleigh Ride” during the talent show part of the Christmas Party and instead of saying “pass around the coffee and the pumpkin pie” they switched coffee for “eggnog.”

It just made me laugh. I remember growing up that we called coffee tables “hot chocolate tables.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 01:08PM

I think this is funny too!

In the family I grew up in, Christmas eggnog ALWAYS had hard liquor of some kind in it!

:D

(I can't remember the exact kind of liquor....probably bourbon or maybe, at least sometimes, rum?)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 09:24PM

At our parties it was grandfather's home made rumatism medicine!

I attended a week long symposium at BYU once and on the second day we were told it was not coffee cake but breakfast cake.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 12:13AM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At our parties it was grandfather's home made
> rumatism medicine!
>
> I attended a week long symposium at BYU once and
> on the second day we were told it was not coffee
> cake but breakfast cake.

:D :D

Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 01:09PM

Do any of you remember The Rickshaw Restaurant that overlooked the golf course out there on the way to Santa Clara, Utah?

Well, mom was as holy back then as she is now. When a newly hired waitress was introduced to staff on her first day, she said, "Her name is Gladys, but please...call her Happy Bottom.

Oh, the joys of Mormondom.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 05:05PM

Eggnog has got brandy, rum, and bourbon in it. "Nog" means alcohol. Why switch coffee for eggnog, jeez. And you don't drink eggnog with pumpkin pie--eggnog is liquid, alcoholic, nutmeg custard. It's the same thing as pumpkin pie sans crust.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 10:45AM

We buy Knudsen egg nogg and pour Brandy into it.
Yummy.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 22, 2018 08:39PM

Gonna enjoy some dark rum in my eggnog tonight.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 08:06PM

When the Tabernacle Choir recorded it years ago they changed it to "cider".

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 12:08AM

Does everyone feel more holy now?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 12:39PM

At stake dances as a teen, some songs were allowed to be played only if some of the words were changed. So the DJ (or occasionally live band) would modify things to mormonize them.

For example:

"...this could be heaven or this could be hell..." (Hotel California by the Eagles) was changed to:
"...this could be heaven or this could be heck..."
(one live band actually once sang "...this could be heaven or this could be the other place..." which was hard to fit in with the music, but hilarious!)

Mormons: ruining music lyrics since 1830.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 01:36PM

OK, I can see that saying "Go to Hell" to someone or "Oh Hell" is considered a swear/blasphany, whatever, but not allowing references to hell as a place or state of being like "this could be heaven or this could be hell" makes no sense to me. Just shows people's blind obidence in a cult and not even thinking through simple things like that - The Church says saying hell is bad so I'm never going to use the word at all.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 03:43PM

My Dad was a convert and he saw things differently. For instance, he had an unrighteous sense of humor and going through the temple was supposed to snuff that out.

Anyways, he had a habit of telling people "God bless you."

It rubbed some members very wrong. It was brought to the attention of the stake presidency. Imagine a 35 year old lecturing a 65 year old high priest about taking the Lord's name in vain. It shook him up for awhile.

Remember, this is a church that revels in making people miserable.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 25, 2018 02:18AM

Can't say God bless you but have to say the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 02:00PM

https://youtu.be/sHOq6Sl9u38
AF version
LDS version
https://youtu.be/mkkgQFnLCWM
Very nice planes though ( on both videos, including my hubby’s, the C-130)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 03:42PM

So the MoTab is fine with "give 'em the gun," but not ok with "helluva."

They got some whacked priorities.

Date: December 19, 2018 02:13PM

https://youtu.be/VWgsdexkv18
I’d love to see them do this one, probably not kid friendly, brains and intestines hanging out his body after it hit the ground.
( last part of song)
It’s an Army favourite. It’s a sad song too. My father played it all the time when he was in the Army; all of us Army brats sang it, not so, with LDS kids, unless they were a military family and the dad wasn’t so prunish

Posted by: Snickers ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 02:59PM

Ugh... PTSD is coming back... all the little things we had to put up with... and why again?

Posted by: anon today ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 03:36PM

deviled eggs and dark chocolate cake - because we can't give the Devil credit for tasty food.

heart of the USA- evangelical Methodists

Posted by: anon today ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 03:37PM

meant to write "salad eggs" and "dark chocolate cake"

Date: December 19, 2018 04:16PM

I guess “ Angel Food cake” would be very appropriate

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 04:08PM

I bought a mix tape of classic hits from a primarily LDS bookstore back in the early 1990s. I bought the tape primarily because it had the song "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison on it. When I listened to the song, I thought it seemed a bit different, but could not put my finger on it. But I loved the song, and for a few years it was the way I heard the song. Then one day, a few years later, I heard the song on the radio in Florida. Then came a "strange" line about "making love in the green grass behind the stadium...". That was it! The company that put together the compilation tape had edited out the "offensive" lyrics so they would be acceptable to be sold at "family friendly" stores.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2018 04:09PM by alsd.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: December 22, 2018 10:20PM

Actually, there is more to the Van Morrison story. In 1967, when Van released the song as a 45, many radio stations (including many outside of the Mormon corridor) refused to play it because of the "making love in the green grass" line. So, the single was edited with that line replaced by a line from the second verse, " Laughing and a-running, hey hey." However, if one bought the album on which the song originally appeared , you got the full unedited version of it.

Interestingly, I have both versions of "Brown-eyed Girl," in my CD collection. The censored single edit appears on a Van Morrison greatest hits compilation and the unedited stereo album mix of the song is on a Various Artists collection. And I believe you can hear both versions on YouTube as well.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 11:08AM

I've never really had much desire to take on coffee, but I still think the LDS obsession with the evils of coffee is silly in the extreme.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 11:41AM

I'm drinking coffee laced with eggnog and brandy.

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: December 25, 2018 03:29AM

Bailey's Pumpkin spice and peppermint schnapps are great with coffee too.

Posted by: momgyver ( )
Date: December 22, 2018 06:38PM

When I was a kid, my Primary group performed the song "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" in front of Sacrament Meeting. Instead of singing "and then they'd ask me out to tea" we sang "and then they'd ask me out to POSTUM" adorable? Barf....

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 23, 2018 05:49AM

And very silly because in this context tea would have referred to the British light evening meal, not the drink.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 22, 2018 11:30PM

...when we discovered that "making love" actually meant ....

We felt ashamed to sing along with those words, so we changed "love" to "gloves"

"Feel like making gloves tonight..."

"Hey baby, lets make gloves..."

"When we make gloves it feels so right."

Of course as I got older I realized that when you make word substitutions, you're still thinking about the word being substituted. "Shoot" just becomes a different way of saying "sh*t". "Heck" just becomes a different way of saying hell. "Fudge" just becomes a different way of saying "f*ck*.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 23, 2018 07:28PM

Wally Prince Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... Of course as I got older I realized that when you make word substitutions, you're still thinking about the word being substituted. "Shoot" just becomes a different way of saying "sh*t". "Heck" just becomes a different way of saying hell. "Fudge" just becomes a different way of saying "f*ck*.

I always noticed that too.

It doesn't matter the word(s)
But the thought...

I was playing frisby-football with LDS followers one day and said one "cuss word"
Things were never the same again. There was a silence insomuch that you could hear a pin drop, in the grass, at that.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.