Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 01:03PM

I guess I always assumed the Mormon Temple ceremony was sacred scripture. It seems that it can be changed willy-nilly based on the latest needs to keep members happy. So Eve wasn't speaking much before, and now we get a whole lot of new information on what she said? I guess that is plausible, but it does seem kind of late to have it revealed while making other changes in what was revealed earlier. The Mormon God sure does seem to have to correct Himself a lot. I must admit I would love to hear what Eve is saying these days, but I don't have 10% of my income to pony up to find out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 01:08PM

Justin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess I always assumed the Mormon Temple
> ceremony was sacred scripture. It seems that it
> can be changed willy-nilly based on the latest
> needs to keep members happy... The Mormon God sure
> does seem to have to correct Himself a lot.

Brings to my mind the changes in the garment. Did they ever declare te garment's design to be...umm...inviolate?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 05:03PM

It has been "evolving" all of its existence. Kinda like The Book of Mormon getting edited.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 06:03PM

I went in the temple expecting the ceremony to move me like grand and powerful music, literature, art, architecture or nature does. taking me to a new realm of spirituality and enlightenment.

Instead, I found myself asking what, what, what? and why, why, why? and wondering how I ended up in this RIDICULOUS, weird, boring, humiliating maize that felt like I was in a combination of an endless really, really bad road show or a fourth-graders'-tree-club-initiation-ceremony.

I could not wait for the whole thing to be over and out.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 11:14PM

I never believed it was to be taken as literal history. However, I did believe that it was dictated word for word by God.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 11:49PM

Never really thought of it as scripture. More like a mixture of goofy and boring.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 11:55PM

goofy & boring, complex & not easily followed Unless paying Very Strict attention.

Not necessarily scripture, but supposedly direct from HF.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: January 04, 2019 12:18AM

I was taught that the various temple ceremonies are ABSOLUTELY scripture! The only reason they are not included in the D&C is because they are too sacred to be out there for all to see.

There were no bones about it. Those ceremonies are cannon. Nothing to be played around with unless through the prophet seer and revelator talking to God for updates.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: January 04, 2019 12:50PM

All I know is that the temple ceremony planted the seed that grew into apostasy. That is a whole lot of crazy.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: January 04, 2019 12:55PM

Sort of then they kept changing it, so not after that.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 04, 2019 05:49PM

I was brainwashed into thinking it was scripture. I believed in The Bible, but could not force myself to believe in the BOM or the D&C. I expected to find more Truth in the temple, and it to be beautiful, as presleyanfactsrock described.

In the beginning of the ceremony, I recognized the familiar Bible words from Genesis, and that was comforting! Then things stalled, and It seemed like the temple ceremony was just drawing out the few verses, stretching it into a fictional "road show" movie. But nothing new was added. When the weirdness began, I kept thinking, "Why was this not written in The Bible, or written down in any of the other scriptures? Is not Salvation for everyone, according to Christ's Atonement? My parents and I had to pay a lot of money to get here! I shut down my questions by remembering what I was told, that these were words directly from God, and "too sacred" to put into written scripture.

But, my gut instincts kicked in. I felt the presence of Satan! Satan was talking to us in the movie, and telling us what do to, and that probably began those awful feelings. I felt physically ill. I crossed my fingers during the death oaths, praying to God, "God--I don't mean it! I'm being forced to be here!"

I felt the presence of Satan every time I was in the temple, after that. I KNEW the temple wasn't scripture. I knew it didn't come from God.

The first thing I saw in the Mormon temple was a cash register, where we paid to rent the costumes, and it was all downhill from there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.