Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 04:01PM

You Canadians are (and always have been) magnificent neighbors (and exceedingly important allies when we need/needed allies very much).

You care about others (and care enough to save their lives when their lives very desperately need saving):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-saudi-woman-asylum-alleged-abuse-1.4974344

And you care about us:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HumansBeingBros/comments/af8j1v/canadian_air_traffic_controllers_are_buying_pizza/

Thanks for being the world's best "neighbors"--to most everyone, everywhere!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 04:03PM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 04:21PM

I have a Canadian friend. She says a Canadian passport is the best in all the world; you get all the advantages of an American passport but nobody hates you.

More seriously, I agree about Canadian attitudes. When the Saudis kill a journalist working for an American company, the US government defends Riyadh. But when an innocent child is in danger of Saudi assassination, Canada offers her asylum.

One of these societies is not like the other, eh?

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 08:29PM

Swiss is the best passport to have

Date: January 12, 2019 08:56PM

It's a close call, to be sure!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 09:17PM

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 09:31PM

Date: January 12, 2019 09:58PM

Regardless of what the link says, I think that holding a UAE passport would be intensely and inherently frightening for all females without exception, and for most immigrants [meaning: they would be judged as somehow of not-topmost status by UAE standards: their home countries are poor countries, etc.].

In either case, genuine disaster could happen at any time, and at what amounts to the whim of any number of people in, or near to in some important way, the ruling families.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2019 01:45PM by Tevai.

Date: January 12, 2019 10:03PM

My thoughts exactly.

That list is based on how many countries will accept the passport without a visa, which is a pretty weak foundation on which to base a judgment. As you note, a UAE passport would be dangerous in many countries. Germany is much better, but there are places in Eastern Europe and elsewhere in which people look askance on German identity.

The beauty of passports like Canada's and Switzerland's is that people in most of the world view the holder as hailing from quaint countries that don't cause much harm. The countries enjoy economic wellbeing because of proximity to juggernauts like the US and the EU but don't carry political baggage.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 02:13AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My thoughts exactly.
>
> That list is based on how many countries will
> accept the passport without a visa, which is a
> pretty weak foundation on which to base a
> judgment. As you note, a UAE passport would be
> dangerous in many countries. Germany is much
> better, but there are places in Eastern Europe and
> elsewhere in which people look askance on German
> identity.
>
> The beauty of passports like Canada's and
> Switzerland's is that people in most of the world
> view the holder as hailing from quaint countries
> that don't cause much harm. The countries enjoy
> economic wellbeing because of proximity to
> juggernauts like the US and the EU but don't carry
> political baggage.

The list also does not include the obligations which come from holding the passport, nor do they rank the attractiveness of the visa free countries.

For example holding a U.S. passport requires the holder to disclose all bank accounts and balances held outside of the United States (the FBAR- Google it), even if you are not the primary account holder, but just have signatory authority. It also requires non-U.S. banks who do business with U.S. passport holders to report the details of the account to the IRS (FATCA law - Google it). The penalties for non-compliant banks can be quite stiff so many non-U.S. banks are now banning Americans. The United States is one of only two countries in the world (Eritrea is the other) which practice citizenship based taxation, meaning citizens have to pay taxes on their worldwide income, regardless of place of residence. All other countries only tax you based on your place of residence. U.S. passport holders have restrictions on the types of international investments, such as foreign mutual funds or foreign pension plans. What this means is long term or permanent expat status as a U.S. passport holder can become quite difficult.

Personally I am quite fond of having an Irish passport.

Date: January 13, 2019 02:19AM

I love Canada. Beautiful country and wonderful people. Hard for me to pick a favorite place of the four cities I have visited, as I have nice memories of all of them. I have been to Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, and Vancouver. I was fortunate enough to have two long layovers in Vancouver during the Winter Olympics, and was able to watch a girl from my hometown win a gold medal in freestyle skiing while there.

I am hoping to go see Banff in the next few years and I really want to go visit the Maritimes as well.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 01:14PM

Nice! I really love Kelowna and the upper Okanagon.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 05:57PM

thank you canada for the round pieces of ham you call "bacon" ~

thank you for igloos ~

thank you canada for your funny monopoly colored paper money ~

thank you for flannel clothing ~

thank you canada for being U.S. America's hat all these years ~

thank you for being so polite ~

thank you for your metro-sexual prime minister ~

thanks for you being you canada ~

Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 03:40PM

ziller

I shall owe you forever.

Write on!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 06:06PM

I love having Canada as a neighbor. We share three border crossings within a fifteen minute drive from my home.

It has some of the prettiest scenic drives I have ever been on.

That was the same when I lived in Idaho and my parents took us on a camping vacation to Cardston, and up through Calgary then back down again. Just magnificent scenery throughout Alberta.

My favorite Canadian haunts have been Niagara-on-the-Lake, and Vancouver, BC. I had a reason to go visit Vancouver when one of my children was there in a graduate studies program. It is gorgeous. My dad's favorite place on earth was Victoria, BC.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 12:02AM

Lucky duck

Posted by: southbound ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 06:18PM

Thank you so much for the kind kudos. I go to the U.S. a lot. Some of my family are dual citizens.On the whole I find Americans to be a kind and gracious. I love the Nevada/Arizona desert. Love the beaches where ever they are. Have family in Texas. Del Taco rules, as does Chuck-a-rama and Miguels in California. Have done a lot of travelling and trucking in the U.S.

Date: January 12, 2019 10:10PM

I love the Maritimes, haven’t been to mainland Canada yet, still looking forward to seeing Quebec, except no gravy on my fries.
I also want to see Alberta .I love their fish and chips, Timmy’s,my husband loves their coffee. Of course, I’m thankful for the invention of hockey and ringette, Anne of Green Gables, Avonlea ,and Wind at my back

Date: January 12, 2019 10:23PM

I want to buy a Wrangler, jack it up and put grotesque all-terrains on it, and drive:

From northern new Hampshire, across, Maine, to New Brunswick.
Up NB, into P.E.I. and Nova Scotia, then ferry up to Newfoundland, and drive all over it.
Then ferry to Labrador, land at Mary's Harbor and drive to the Trans-Labrador Highway.
Then hit Churchill Falls, Labrador City, down PQ 389 to Bai-Comeau, then down the St. Lawrence Seaway to Quebec, then back to Boston via New Hampshire.

(Distances are so vast on the Trans-Labrador, the RCMP gives loaner satellite phones. Pick one up at one end, return it at the other.)

Anybody wanna come?

Date: January 13, 2019 12:46AM

You have a very lovely itinerary planned out there! You should check out Bar Harbour while you’re in Maine.
The ferry from NB to PEI was nice. We went only 2 days after all the Anne of Green Gables attractions closed down for the season, so there were no crowds.
The Constitution Bridge was practically clear of any traffic. We were the only ones on it almost. The only car going through the border. I love bridges, especially covered bridges.
The people are super nice. We were talking to the guys in the sporting goods store in NS for a long time, as we were the only customers. My husband was talking to a cop in the town centre in NStoo ,later, asking for directions while I was in one of the stores .
When I came out 20 minutes later, they were still talking, both laughing .
My husband was at the AF base in Goose Bay , in Labrador, in the 80s. He was there for a week on TDY. He also went to NF, loved them both.
In fact , his first base was at McChord , near Seattle.
He loved it there. He sent to Vancouver a lot.
I’m still waiting to see that part of Canada too.
I’m waiting to see Quebec City and Montreal first.
If you go on your trip, you should check out the White mountains in NH and the Green Mts in Vermont.
Canada is very nice, it’s gorgeous, has nice, helpful people , low crime, we felt safe, even at night.

Date: January 13, 2019 01:04AM

When I was 20 (1967), I hitchhiked from Montreal along the north shore of the SL Seaway, took a ferry to the Gaspe, did parts of the Maritimes. I'm a New Englander, and have traveled and hiked Green and White Mountains a fair bit.

A few RfM Posters have looked me up in New England. I'm retired, and always happy to show people the sights.

So, Hockyrat, you're a USAF bride? My son's going USN, with a brief detour in the USMC (Reserves) for OCS. He has a wife and one baby, our first grandchild.

Date: January 13, 2019 01:23AM

Yep. USAF wife. I’m a Army brat too. My father was in 21 years.
I wanted to marry an Army guy like my father, but I met AF instead. He retired 5 years ago. I always knew ,since a little girl , that I wanted to marry a police man, fire man or “ Army man”. AF was close though, especially since the Army base was next to the AF one. They’re all good though.

Date: January 13, 2019 01:16PM

I did tell my daughters, "If you find yourself getting involved with a Marine or a cop, stop, think, breathe carefully and slowly before proceeding." Being both, I acknowledge them to be exciting but high-risk relationships.

When my son told me he's planning on entering the Navy chaplaincy via a stint in the Marines (while he completes ecclesiastical qualifications), I asked him to think carefully about whether he's dealing with hidden father issues. He said no, he's always had "an inner Marine" he can't ignore. That makes a certain spiritual sense.

"You're likely to be deployed, and chaplains visit troops in the front. You can't carry a gun."
"I know," he said. "But that doesn't mean I can't fire one if I need to."

God bless the Marines (and Rangers and sailors and airmen...) and cops (and firemen and EMTs), and especially the women who love them!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 02:39PM

caffiend Wrote:
> I did tell my daughters, "If you find yourself
> getting involved with a Marine or a cop, stop,
> think, breathe carefully and slowly before
> proceeding." Being both, I acknowledge them to be
> exciting but high-risk relationships.

Times that Dad had to leave the house in a bullet-proof vest were very traumatic for our little boys.

Yes, Canada seems historically honorable. Planning to spend a lot of time there this spring.

Also, thank you Canada for giving us Red Green. :)

Date: January 13, 2019 02:41PM

kathleen Wrote:
> Also, thank you Canada for giving us Red Green.
> :)

What is Red Green? I've never heard of it.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 03:33PM

Date: January 13, 2019 03:49PM

kathleen Wrote:

> -----
> > I did tell my daughters, "If you find yourself
> > getting involved with a Marine or a cop, stop,
> > think, breathe carefully and slowly before
> > proceeding." Being both, I acknowledge them to
> be
> > exciting but high-risk relationships.
>
> Times that Dad had to leave the house in a
> bullet-proof vest were very traumatic for our
> little boys.

I didn't have physical danger in mind with "high-risk relationship" (not "high risk careers"), but rather that men get overly involved with their careers and work relationships to the detriment of marriage and family.

BTW, "bullet-proof vest" is a misnomer. Correct term is "body armor." Nothing is completely bullet-proof.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2019 03:50PM by caffiend.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 07:00PM

caffiend Wrote:
> Nothing is completely
> bullet-proof.

That was our fear.

Date: January 15, 2019 12:56AM

I’ve been hearing that since I was a kid, about chaplains not being able to carry a firearm, especially when they’re right there on the front line.
Do you ever watch L&O SVU? Your comment reminds me of Elliot on that show. He was prior Marines , then a SVU cop. He was always getting hit or beat up by the bad guy. He was in the hospital a lot from his injuries. He also had s lot of family problems because they couldn’t handle his job.
Your last comment about “ God blessing the Army, Navy and Marines, reminds me of that old song by the Andrew sisters
https://youtu.be/RbiP3rrIKDw

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 10:13PM

Let's not forget to thank the Canadians for sheltering American embassy personnel at the beginning of the Iranian revolution in 1979.

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 10:26PM

Momentarily forgot about all those stranded air travelers that Canadians took in on September 11th. What a great gesture of human decency.

Date: January 12, 2019 11:03PM

They do live up to their reputation of being polite and super nice. Loved everyone we met there.
Forgot to mention the Mounties!!
Don’t forget to bring your passports to get back in the U.S.
When we went 2 years ago, we only needed it coming back.
We didn’t have to show it going into Canada.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 12:04AM

Hosers

Posted by: William1 ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 03:27PM

Sorry, they have some of the rudest jackasses working at the border crossings. Enough so that we won't visit Canada again. Will take our dollars to Europe, Australia/ New Zealand or the Far East.

Date: January 13, 2019 04:07PM

William1 Wrote:
> Sorry, they have some of the rudest jackasses
> working at the border crossings. Enough so that we
> won't visit Canada again. Will take our dollars to
> Europe, Australia/ New Zealand or the Far East.

In my adult life, I have crossed the US/Canadian border a number of times (mostly by ground, once by air), and have never had any problems at all with Canadian border officials.

The US/Canadian border is, to my knowledge and in comparison to many other international borders, remarkedly "relaxed."

My understanding is that there are a number of residences on the border which straddle both countries (which means the nationality of someone born in one of those homes depends on the room in the house the baby was born in), and there are some border crossings towards the east where some towns are bi-national, and dedicated phones connected to immigration authorities are on the border. At those crossings, people briefly park their cars, identify themselves to the relevant border authorities, report they are on the way to the grocery store or doctor or whatever, and then do the same thing in the opposite direction when they return to their homes.

Whether by automobile or by plane, I have never had anything but a relatively "pleasant" experience at any crossing on the Canadian/American border.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2019 04:09PM by Tevai.

Date: January 13, 2019 04:32PM

3X Wrote:
> See:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haskell_Free_Library
> _and_Opera_House

A truly superb addition to this thread!

Thank you, 3X!

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 04:20PM

Thanks to Canada for hosting my New England loyalist ancestors during the American Revolutionary War.

(My forebears eventually saw the light, moving to the States in the late 1700's.)

Posted by: BeezWax ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 06:18PM

On behalf of myself, please don't presume to do anything on my behalf.

Date: January 13, 2019 06:24PM

BeezWax Wrote:
> On behalf of myself, please don't presume to do
> anything on my behalf.

In response to your stated declaration, you have been granted permission to withdraw from the described group for the purposes of this thread. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2019 06:51PM by Tevai.

Date: January 13, 2019 10:00PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> https://i.imgur.com/DThYYMP.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

Date: January 14, 2019 03:03PM

Dave is on his game.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 05:02PM

Thank you Canada for allowing my lowly Irish ancestors to immigrate without question or restriction.

Date: January 16, 2019 05:03AM

My Welsh gggrandfather was born in Quebec. So was my great grandfather who served four years in the Civil War (neither related except through marriage down the lineal line.)

Both converts to Mormonism as adults.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 12:50PM

Don't trust a country without real food.

I have eaten at Mexican, Cuban, Italian, Polish, German, Chinese, Japanese and many other types of restaurants.

Never, ever even seen a "canadian" restaurant.

Date: January 15, 2019 01:40PM

You've never eaten poutine?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 12:59AM

About a half dozen SLC restaurants have poutine on the menu. New and interesting ways to cause heart attacks!

Other Canadian food: Nanaimo bars, ketchup flavor Old Dutch potato chips, and perogies. Perogies are technically Eastern European, but they are ubiquitous in Canada.

Oh, and Labatts and Molson

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 11:42PM

Canadian food is horrible hamburgers with french fries covered with gravy and soft drinks without ice. It's un-american I tell you !

Since Tim Hortons is now owned by Burger King maybe Canadians finally will get good burgers.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 03, 2019 07:26PM

Glad you hate them so much. More for us.

Date: January 16, 2019 04:58AM

In Canada, they're called "diners."

Ever heard of Shepherd's Pie? It's a Canadian specialty.

Canada gave us Tim Horton's. Ever heard of a triple-triple? If you frequent Tim Horton's they hear it all the time. It was coined there.

French being the primary language in some parts of Canada it's fair to say that French cuisine is decidedly Canadian.

:)

Date: February 02, 2019 12:26AM

Asia Bibi, a Christian mother, was accused of slandering the prophet Mohammed in a conversation with her coworkers and sentenced to death. The Pakistani supreme court overturned the conviction, but she had to go into hiding, for fear of her safety. Her lawyer also had to flee Pakistan.

She has recently arrived in Canada, and hopefully will be spared a death Fatwa. Thank you, Canada!

https://freebeacon.com/issues/persecuted-pakistani-christian-reunites-with-family-in-canada-german-media-reports/

Date: February 02, 2019 12:54AM

Amyjo Wrote:
> In Canada, they're called "diners."
>
> Ever heard of Shepherd's Pie? It's a Canadian
> specialty.

Shepherd's Pie (and Cottage Pie) is a dish which originated in Scotland and Northern England. It is not Canadian.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 06:37PM

Don't let facts get in the way... My hoser mother made Shepard's Pie at least once a month. God bless her, eh!
She also was born in northern England, but the pies were made in the great white North!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2019 06:38PM by chipace.

Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 12:43AM

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/canadian-singers.php

Some seriously wonderful singers have sprung from Canada.

A gaping hole would be left without them.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 01:48PM

You're welcome...

You're thanking us for the Ryans, right?

Gosling and Reynolds !

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.