Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: flash ( )
Date: January 19, 2019 07:49PM

We all have read about people resigning their church membership at many stages in their lives and for many good reasons.

I have always wondered if a fed up missionary ever walked into his mission home and handed the Mission President a letter of resignation and then just walked out and went home? That would be a fun story to read.

Has anyone ever heard or know of a missionary doing this? If so, please share.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 19, 2019 08:36PM

Yes.

It's just not usually caried out that way. He/ She leaves mission/ church WITH NO intent on continuing.

They just don't know what they are going to do or say. Being an lds missionary is surely a dark place when it comes to open "discussion".

There is seemingly no precedent. No one to look to for (real) leadership, guidance, or wisdom.

Missionary must think it's ludicrous to resign, at least at the time. But NOW there is the INTERNET/ truth/ answers available 24 hours a day, other people you can yak with, INFORMATION.

I didn't go on a missing.
I didn't like name 'calling'.
Or name tags. Or lying.
I didn't like Mormonism.
Inactivity was NECESSARY.
Later it was resignation.
shame on Mormonism!

M@t

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 19, 2019 09:36PM

We had a member on RFM who was actually on the board from the mission President's office!

His sister was on the board, too.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 19, 2019 09:57PM

I think part of the reason you don't see it is because t hth e church controls their resources.

Passports are confiscated. They live off a card the church can cancel. A watchdog is at their side constantly.

I only personally know of one missionary under the new system that tried to leave. The media and law enforcement treated her like a child. She was tracked down and turned over to the church who kept her "safe" until her father came for her.

Under the old system I know of three missionaries that walked away while on their missions.

One married a local girl and moved in three doors down the street from the missionary apartment. Said he'd had enough.

One convinced his companion to send some pre filled weekly reports to give him enough time to hitchhike home and get on with his life.

A third just up and disappeared one day. Never heard what happened to him.

All three were before the era of resignations.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: January 19, 2019 11:55PM

We had a woman here about 12 years back who de-brainwashed her son while he was on his mission, and flew out to bring him home.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 12:07PM

I remember her - don't remember her RFM handle, though.

Posted by: Starry ! ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 01:56PM

It was a husband and wife and they had Star Wars themed handles.

Posted by: jcnotloggedin ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 12:05AM

Could you be thinking about the husband and wife known as:

sithlord and twojedis ????

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,855704,855763#msg-855763

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 01:49AM

It was A Musing Grace

Posted by: KesslerTheNevermo ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 10:15PM

I think it's Mormon Short Topic #479, but the link doesn't work at the moment.

Web.archive.org version: http://web.archive.org/web/20121013141025/https://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon479.htm

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 02:20PM

they wouldn't even drive him/her to the airport, "You're on your own"...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2019 02:26PM by GNPE.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 03:48PM

Micah Wilder -
Micah was raised in a devout Mormon family and like his brothers before him, served an LDS mission. However, while on his mission, a Baptist pastor challenged him to read the Bible, which he did--and gradually his Mormon world came crashing down around him as he encountered the life-changing love of Jesus Christ through His Word, the Bible. Micah plays the drums, bass and guitar, and is the audio engineer for the band.
adamsroadministry.com

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 03:53PM

Another member of that band is the granddaughter of Alma Dayer Lebaron Jr. Her father is Sam Lebaron....of the Colonia Lebaron group in Mexico. Ervil Lebaron, the crazy murderous one, was her great uncle.
Lila LeBaron was born and raised in a fundamental (polygamist) Mormon community in Chihuahua, Mexico. As a young girl, she embarked on a journey of reading God's Word and coming to understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ in her early teens. Lila is a talented vocalist and joined the ministry in 2015...

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 09:28PM

We once had the infamous ex-missionary here on the board who related a couple of times how he took a mission car to the airport to leave his mission early and leave the church. Is he around still? I forget his moniker.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 03:10AM

Those kids were brave!

So were their parents!

It was a time when they were isolated from each other, with no help from anyone, and under a lot of intimidation and threats.

What a dark time that must have been in these people's lives, God bless them. Mormonism is, indeed, something people need to escape from.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 08:43AM

I've read about a number of missionaries who ceased believing in the church on their missions, and went home or otherwise moved on with their lives. I would think doing the resignation on the mission would be rare, however.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.