Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 01:57PM

This statement at the end of the linked below article made me literally laugh out loud!

"Glenna M. Christensen is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Read more here: https://www.idahostatesman.com/living/religion/article223561720.html#storylink=cpy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: laughing in provo ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 04:30PM

someone better tell the rest of the world. i was recently in europe and when i told a lady i met i was from utah she said " you are not a mormon are you?" it appears she had not gotten the correct word.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 05:11PM

I wish I had a link to an article about the various names for the church JS tried on before settling for CoJCoLDS.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 06:09PM

Who is this person, and why do we give a crap?

Date: January 23, 2019 10:50AM

She's a Mormon! LOL!

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 03:19PM

<raspberry>

I don't know why, but that literally made me lol. And, I needed it. Thank you m'dear!

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 01:48AM

Glenna thinks that "With the advent of the Broadway production The Book of Mormon musical,the name gained more widespread usage."

No, sister Glenna, they were calling you/us Mormons something 100 years before the Book Of Mormon musical. The musical has been around about 9 years now.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 02:22AM

"I am not a Mormon." That is funny! Hah!

Well, I will hold you to that, sister. I'm not a Mormon, either.

I might think you are a Mormon, just by your haircut and earrings, but I won't call you a Mormon. But I won't honor you and your cult by using that lengthy self-important you that other name, either. Besides, you got it wrong. You didn't put the "even" in front of it, like Nelson did.

“Thus, the name of the church,” stated President Nelson, “is not negotiable."
--Not negotiable? Or else, what? What are the Mormons going to do to us? Nelson has no right to tell us (or the media) what to do, and he has NO authority that we recognize, no jurisdiction over us.

“Using or allowing nicknames is an affront to the Lord,” he told church members.
--Oh, so the Mormons will shun us even more, and accuse us even more bad stuff. How dare they! Nelson and sister whatever in this article are accusing people who don't obey this petty rule that no one knows about, of being an "affront" to the Lord! We are good people, and don't deserve to be maligned.

I think it's an affront to the Lord to accuse Him of being a polygamist, and to say that polygamy is the Lord's way in the Hereafter. It's "using the Lord's name in vain" to attach his sacred name to a hoax big-business cult.

Why is no one telling Nelson to STFU, and not use the name of Jesus Christ in vain? Nelson has no trouble giving that message to the world.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 03:05AM

Didn't you know that God his own self used his fiery finger to engrave that commandment on stone tablets?

The only reason that we don't know about it is because Moses tripped on his way down the rugged path on Mt. Sinai and that commandment was chipped off when the tablets fell out of his hands and hit a boulder. Actually, more than that chipped off and we would have had only 7 commandments if not for the fact that Moses had some really good Egyptian glue in a vial in one of his robe pockets. He was able to glue most of the pieces back together, but the nickname commandment had fallen down a deep crack into the mouth of a large snake and was never seen again.

That's why humanity has spent so many centuries not knowing how much god hated nicknames. It wasn't until we finally got a fully tuned-in prophet named Nelson that we were able to have that essential truth restored to us.

When we hear thunder, that's Jesus venting his pent-up frustration, crying out: "Christ! The name is JEESUS CHRIST for my sake! No more nicknames!"

In honor of the greatness of the Nelson, I have created a special poem:

Nasty nickname, Nelson be your nemesis
You are evil, as each soul confesses
Nickname, nickname be banished
For the true name we are famished

(I expect this will become an official hymn soon.)

Date: January 23, 2019 11:02AM

"Nasty nickname, Nelson be your nemesis
You are evil, as each soul confesses
Nickname, nickname be banished
For the true name we are famished"

I love it. Nemesis of Mormons be your nickname Nelson!

Nelson = The not-Mormon LDSies because he can't be one of those but is the most important Mormon.

"The term "anti" has perplexed readers as the Lamanites made a covenant to serve the Lord and thus align themselves with the Nephites. These readers assume the Latin/Greek meaning of the prefix "anti", which means "opposing" or "against". However, the Book of Mormon record states that it was written in reformed Egyptian,[4][5] so a Greek or Latin meaning is unlikely. "Anti" may be a reflex of the Egyptian "nty:", he of, the one of. Thus, rather than having the sense "against", it may have the meaning "the one of Nephi and Lehi".[6]
An obvious explanation of "anti" is meaning "not". Their challenge of distinguishing themselves as a body of Lamanite converts without using the term "Laman", hence "The Lehies not of Nephi" or "The not-Nephite Lehies." Another possibility is in Alma 21:11 where a village is named "Ani-Anti", as perhaps the name Anti was derived from this village and it is merely a name. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Nephi-Lehi

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 03:43AM

I think it's hilarious how Mormons suddenly adopt a new idea or a position immediately after their "president" tells them to. This woman wrote this piece as if these had been her thoughts and beliefs forever, and Nelson's remarks merely reinforced her position.

If Nelson had instead announced that the name of their curch would henceforth be "The Mormon Church", this woman would have been as staunch in her defence and support for that moniker as well.

In reality, she would never have taken this position on her own and she likely never had any quarrel with the use of the word "Mormon" as a description of her church.

Date: January 23, 2019 10:55AM

Their version is "Prophet Says".

Simon Says is a game that leaders play with children. So is Prophet Says.

Date: January 23, 2019 10:56AM

ragnar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In reality, she would never have taken this
> position on her own and she likely never had any
> quarrel with the use of the word "Mormon" as a
> description of her church.

And some Mormons defend themselves from the accusation of being blindly led?

I guess Glenna prayed about this before writing her opinion piece as if her opinion counted. But there it is in print. Proof Mormons can be led like lemmings to import and impute an almost 200 year old moniker of their church which hasn't had much derogatory attachment for a hundred years at least.

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 08:47AM

The "I'm Not A Mormon" campaign is in full swing...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 11:18AM

One problem is that another church has already trademarked "The Church of Jesus Christ". So Nelson and company are going to be forced to use the church's full name. Your average news agency is only going to have so much patience for that long, unwieldy name. So they might mention the name to start out with in any given article but will seek alternatives for future mentions, such as, "Mormon." I rather like Brighamites or the Brighamite church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2019 11:19AM by summer.

Date: January 23, 2019 11:23AM

summer Wrote:
> I rather like Brighamites or the
> Brighamite church.

I do too. Here living near Independence, MO I'm explaining the difference between Mormons all the time.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 05:43PM

The interesting thing is that the church that has trademarked the name "The Church of Jesus Christ" is obviously an offshoot of one of the Mormon churches, but they (rather vehemently) don't want to be associated with the word "Mormon" or any other Mormon church. They use the BoM as scripture, however, and have some other commonalities. They seem like a cross between COJCOLDS and an evangelical Christian church.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 05:26PM

So that means we are all one with the still-on-the-books members of TACO J. COLDS. We're all ex-mormons.

Date: January 23, 2019 05:37PM

From the Mormon Names thread, I wonder if Glenna's parents wanted a boy?

Date: January 23, 2019 11:33PM

Let's look at two key points made in the article:

From the article: “Using or allowing nicknames is an affront to the Lord,” he told church members.

------This is super stupid! This is apparently a new doctrine. Nicknames per se have never been a spiritual or moral issue in scriptures or in any prophetic utterances. It is idiotic to pretend now that they are and always have been. Nelson is not announcing it as a new doctrine that has been revealed to him. He is speaking of it as though it always has been "an affront to the Lord," even though nearly all "prophets" in the past never saw it in those black-and-white terms. The official name was always there. It was always used in official and formal contexts. The nickname was always just used as a convenient shorthand hand way of communicating.

-------In North Korea, it was mandatory for all people in the country to always use the full title of the dictator whenever they mentioned his name. Simply speaking of "Kim" or "Kim Il Sung" was a good way to be put on starvation rations or worse. One always had to say the Korean equivalent of "His Excellency the Great Leader and Grand Marshal Comrade Kim Il Sung." Anything less was considered to be an "affront" to the dignity of the great leader. Nelson has turned Jesus into a petty tyrant who has the same sensitivities and demands as a communist dictator.

From the article: What’s wrong with referring to the Mormon church or the LDS church? The absence of the Lord’s name. It is The Church of Jesus Christ. President Nelson warned that, “When we omit his name from his church, we are inadvertently removing him as the central focus of our lives.”

-------This is super stupid! In that same article, all throughout, the writer frequently refers to "church members" or "the church" or "members of the church". Each is an instance where the author fails to use the name of Jesus Christ in these shorthand references. IOW, there is "an absence of the Lord's name" in each such reference. So it seems the rule is that it's okay if such shorthand references are in close proximity to at least one instance in which the full name of the church is used. But if that's the case, this nonsense is all a matter of grammar and style. The use of the nickname "Mormon" is no better or worse than simply referring to "members" or "church members." In each case, there is an "absence of the Lord's name." So, in actuality, it becomes an entirely arbitrary exercise in trying to determine how many times one can use shorthand references after an instance where the full name is used. Does the full name have to be used in each paragraph? Is one time in a single article sufficient? What about an extended conversation that occurs in installments and everyone knows that they're talking about the COJCOLDS? Does each installment have to include the full COJCOLDS name or if it's understood, can they continue to make simple references to "members" or "church members"?

-----And, when you think about it, isn't this really the main function of the "Mormon" nickname. It has always been understood that it's a shorthand reference. Only people who don't care and have close to zero interest would not know that "Mormon" is referring to the COJCOLDS. Nobody ever insisted that the proper name of the church was the Mormon church. It was just convenient and practical to have a short and universally understood word that could be used instead of 8 words.

--------I thought Jesus was supposedly against this kind of Pharisee crap. But Nelson seems to think that Jesus is obsessed with rigid conformity and observances of petty and insignificant rules.

--------They're really acting like imbeciles with this anti-Mormon stuff. (Whoa! Did Nelson just trick me into denouncing his anti-Mormon stance? What a mind fork!!)

Date: January 24, 2019 12:35PM

LOL! Jesus must hate shorthand.

Date: January 24, 2019 12:37PM

"Only people who don't care and have close to zero interest would not know that "Mormon" is referring to the COJCOLDS."

Well, here in MO people often confuse The Community of Christ with The Brighamites of Nelson. Anyone who believes in The Book of Mormon (any edition) is believed to be Mormon.

Date: January 25, 2019 02:02AM

that they can get confused about which group is which are close enough to being in the camp of those "who don't care and have close to zero interest."

When you're interacting with someone like that, who wouldn't know Nelson from Pee Wee Herman, Nelson's objective becomes a moot point in any case. You would have to explain that you are talking about the COJCOLDS headquartered in SLC and then maybe even have to further explain that it's the much bigger group of Mormons--the one that sponsors the group formerly known as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and not the smaller group of Mormons now known as the Community of Christ. None of Nelson's prescriptions would do any good for Jesus or anyone else in that context.

Date: January 25, 2019 10:52AM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> None of Nelson's prescriptions would do any good
> for Jesus or anyone else in that context.

I can't think of how his moniker revelation does anyone any good.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 04:32PM

As missionary of the church, 98% of the people that I personally interacted with had no idea of what the hell I was rambling off in English or Spanish. However, 50% gave some sort of recognition to the word "Mormon". Here's the kicker. The word "Mormon" got us in the door of investigators more times than the word Jesus.

Now if the church is hell bent over its official name, then why don't the missionaries attach a small picture of Jesus to their shirts instead of that tacky name plate that nobody cares about?

That's right. It would take away the glory and pride of Nelson's big corporate image.

Date: January 24, 2019 04:48PM

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 01:11AM

Hey, this is super important shit, folks!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.