Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 02:09PM

One of the many ways the church controls and warps the youth are their endless SS and PH lessons that use allegories to shape the mind. I won't bore you with the lesson, but we were asked who would like to be part of a winning team. All the hands went up, but mine.

The priest quorum adviser was flabbergasted. The visiting member of the stake presidency took interest because I heard his shoe whack the inside of the folding chair. I think he woke up and sat upright in his chair. I felt every eye in the room watching me.

So I proceeded to explain that playing on a losing team can increase your ability to become a better player. It also allows the player to adjust to the realities of the game. I also explained that playing on a losing team was the only way less-skilled players had the tiniest chance of playing at all in a "real game."

The teacher (PQ adviser) actually congratulated me on defending my "wrong" position. He admitted that he hadn't thought about it. As I looked around the room, my classmates were either smiling or staring at their shoes. Only one person looked unhappy and that was the SP counselor. He actually was giving the stink eye.

Of course, the lesson continued and by the end; I had to agree that I would want to be on the winning team of Heavenly Father and not the losing team of Stan. The prick from the SP had to have the last word and droned on and on about how I had "erred" in my thinking. He used scripture after scripture to prove his point. Of course, the last bell to end PH rang and this guy continued on his rant. It was so long that there was a knock on the door.

It was deacon. "Are you guys coming to sacrament? They have been playing the song over and over, but no one's at the table."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2019 02:12PM by messygoop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 02:56PM

Haha. You had a better analogy than him. Too good. Those who must not be questioned got questioned. You won and they know it. This tickled me.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 03:40PM

messygoop,

Great story, thanks! And a very good point. And illustrative that the cult is not open to smart thinking.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 03:59PM

rilly good OPie ~

in b 4 ~ OPie "errs" in his thinking ~

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 04:53PM

"And a little child shall lead them ... "

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 05:36PM

So...by saying you wanted to be a loser, you were a winner.
Nice :)

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 06:19PM

So as Gil Grisson in C.S.I. said: "I don't mind being wrong. It gets me to being right."

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 04:24AM

I like your stories, messygoop. Loved the punch-line to this one. LOL!

You took a giant step out the door with your correct "wrong" answer.

It reminded me of what they taught in sales class, "The one doing the most talking has the least power."

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 06:34AM

SS lessons are designed to have easy-to-guess, non-thoughtful, correct answers. There isn't meant to be any insight or creativity when answering them. At most you can maybe tell an anecdotal story that illustrates the correctness of the widely accepted answer, but that's it.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 03, 2019 04:51AM

The correct way of dealing with a "wrong" answer was how your EQ guy did it.

The SP guy handled it very badly. So badly that I guess you rattle his thinking and he was convincing himself that your answer was wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2019 04:52AM by matt.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: February 03, 2019 01:13PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course, the lesson continued and by the end; I
> had to agree that I would want to be on the
> winning team of Heavenly Father and not the losing
> team of Stan.

It probably was a typo, but I liked how you called the devil "Stan". I think that is the name his friends call him... to tease him. "Hey, wassup Stan?"

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 03, 2019 01:33PM

Stan works; also Lucy, for fans of 'Mr. Diety'. :-)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 03, 2019 03:37PM

I learned about using Stan while reading here at RFM. No credit on my part.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.