Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 09:36PM

You don't say? Hmm...

Well MormonCult, let's go over an American dictionary's stated meaning of the word "true" which I say you misuse. Here it is:

True: In accordance with fact or reality.

I think I'll repeat that for Rusty Russ one more time.

True: In accordance with FACT OR REALITY.

Since Mormonism is not founded or operating in either fact or reality it is morally and ethically wrong for the church to use or malign this word, and I say it is fraudulent for them to make the statement, "We are the one true church on the earth".

I back up my statement that Mormonism is not founded or operating in either fact or real with evidence I have found through research. (How do you like that, Elder Oaks? I rather like research) And no, I do try to not pick and chose, twist and turn, omit, or cherry-pick, but follow the rules of using authentic historical research rules using primary sources whenever possible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 10:34PM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> snip ~
>
> Mormonism is not
> founded or operating in either fact or real with
> evidence
>
>snip ~

ziller agrees with OPie ~

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 11:51PM

It’s a true fantasy. Kinda like Star Wars if George Lucas said it was a true story.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 08, 2019 03:17PM

The church is true like the movie "Fargo" is a "true" story.

"Ethan Coen first explained why the pair added the “true story” disclaimer to the film, saying, “We wanted to make a movie just in the genre of a true story movie. You don’t have to have a true story to make a true story movie.”

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 08, 2019 03:19PM

My first conference with the Bishop (tithing interrogation) he said--if you are looking for great choir and professional music and stained glass, and televised worship services, this ISN'T the church for you! Because we are the One True Church, we don't have those things.

I couldn't help thinking, if you were the true church wouldn't you?

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 08, 2019 04:11PM

He should have said......--if you are looking for an off-key choir and 9th grade violin music and no glass in the chapel, and bored out of mind worship services, this IS the church for you! Because we are the One True Church, we have all those things.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 08:01PM

Jonny the Smoke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He should have said......--if you are looking for an off-key choir

The organist had only been playing around a year and played songs SO SLOWLY literally people could not sing slow enough to stay with the music.

And so it went, stanza after painful stanza....

I don't criticize her because she was just another volunteer forced to do it, but the contrast when I went down the road to the Baptists with their 7-piece band and professional pianist, was striking...

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: February 08, 2019 03:43PM

I got SO SICK of hearing this in the zillions of meetings I sat through. Prove it!, I thought, and then worried that lightning would strike me then and there.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 08, 2019 04:06PM

If it was true, would the leaders have to use fear, threats and intimidation to keep them from leaving?

Date: February 08, 2019 06:58PM

Yep, threats, intimidation and fear show how the MormonCult is one big bully who must resort to these tactics to keep its members in line and attending its "one true church".

This, back in the day of my university years, sent chills up my spine because I realized I was being intimidated by the cult with the info I was learning in philosophy. I also was reading Fawn Brodie's masterful book, "No Man Knows My History", when I got the word from a TBM that this in the church's eyes was anti-literature, and I should NOT be opening its pages.

Why? I asked. Because the church said so. And you are fine with that? I replied. I never fit into that mold and I wasn''t about to start.

Plus, I found Brodie's book amazing and interesting, and I had never found Sacrament Meeting or the temple (the few times I had attended this weird ceremony) anything but monotonous, uninteresting and yes, INTIMIDATING. Sacrament meetings were always spitting out dos and donts that MUST be followed if I wanted to get in those Pearly Gates, and the temple, way back when I attended, threatened me with throat slitting and belly gashing, WTF? I could not believe my ears.

I feel so fortunate and am grateful for the gifts which came into my life which helped me realize that I was in an organization that made me feel less than, and one that treated me like a child who could be lied to continually who would never be smart or strong enough to call out the absurdity and evil of this organization calling itself THE ONE TRUE CHURCH.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: February 08, 2019 05:59PM

BTW this is a red flag from ANY church or indeed ANY source. It's saying ignore all others. Shut off any other sources.

Date: February 08, 2019 07:09PM

I happen to have studied and graduated in cultural anthropology and I can't imagine life where I had to "ignore all others" and "shut off any other sources". How much I would miss and continue to miss. Every culture in the world that has been studied and researched has religion and myths....colorful, imaginitive, clever, fun, are just some of the ways I would describe these ways of viewing the world I have glimpsed at where the people were asking the age-old questions of where did we come from, is there someone watching me in that big blue sky, and is there life after death?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 07:31PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.