Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 10:08PM

In Sunday School a little early one day, the teacher in answer to one of my many questions answered: "This is essentially a social organization."

Another time in class, explaining some gospel detail, he rolled his eyes and said "Well, theoretically."

It was obvious to me that he knew it was all crap. Maybe for life-long members such as he, the social ties were more important that belief? Always wondered about that.

Did your SS teachers sometimes slip up and let their true feelings show?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 10:47PM

Once a SS teacher told as a FACT: The mormon vote in the Illinois governor decided the 1842 vote for Thomas Ford.

That was WRONG, the vote of that county wasn't enough to explain the difference in the results.

I contacted the archivist of Illinois & verified that, but teacher wouldn't back off or retract his statement;

The SP told me 'it doesn't matter'.

Oh; telling the truth to the SS students DOESN'T MATTER!

GOT IT!!!

Date: February 10, 2019 03:44PM

GNPE Wrote:

> Oh; telling the truth to the SS students DOESN'T MATTER! GOT IT!!!

Hahah. Yes indeed. I didn't ask many questions but they were always answered with "That answer has not yet been revealed to us yet."

It's a good thing I didn't do any actual research, like you did!!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 11:21PM

At first, I was under the mistaken impression that I hadn't attended a SS class since my mission because I always "missed" the class because I was enjoying church as a clerk. I had 2 bishops that never railed me for missing SS and even priesthood. However, I now recall that my last bishop made a big deal about my absence; and he even made it a point to lean against a file cabinet until I left the clerk's office. He didn't want anybody doing any church-related work during the 3 hour block.

Anyways, I now remember two arguments that I became involved in SS. One involved a member (who was off his track) that insisted that church leaders had said that members should only read the scriptures and church books. Of course, I challenged that and I was surprised that only one other person (besides Sister Goop) backed me up. As I was raised in the church that we were told to seek out good and true things (books, music and plays). Maybe I was wrong?

The other involved the usual misunderstanding about drinking caffeinated soft drinks. Certain members spouted off about their certainty that drinking coca cola was prohibited against the word of wisdom.

I shouldn't have been surprised because my wife and I were both called in for partaking the sacrament with the wrong hand. Oh the horror and humanity! Not only were we called to repent, but I as an RM and priesthood holder should have known better! And I challenged Brother Big Prick to show me in any scripture where it specifically says which hand to use. (And I finally found out that it was some sort of obscure church talk from the 1950s that gave notion to the "right-hand doctrine."

Date: February 10, 2019 05:11PM

messygoop Wrote:

>..members should only read scriptures and church books.

Wow. So what did they teach at BYU? What if you were a Biology major for instance? Or chemistry?

>called in for partaking the sacrament with the wrong hand.

Yet another thing the Misshies never told me. I'm left handed so I might have done that. Can't remember. But nobody ever told me, maybe they just shunned me silently.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 11:43PM

Not long before I left that church the gospel doctrine teacher was going on and on about keeping the Sabbath day holy - it's right there in the big Ten Commandments and it's a big deal to the modern prophets and all. Well, it was Mothers Day and I already had plans to take mom out to a nice restaurant after the Block. So guess who we run into at the restaurant? None other than that self same GD teacher of course. He just ignored me but his wife looked a bit sheepish.

Date: February 10, 2019 05:12PM

Shinehah Wrote:

> So guess who we run into at the restaurant?

Ha ha hilarious!

Course, could have been worse, you might have both been in a liquor store....

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 02:47PM

I don't know if this constitutes a slip up or not. I attended seminary for 2 weeks in grade 12 (first and only year I had access to it). The teacher brought up Kolob. I told him it didn't exist. He insisted I have faith that it did. I told him he was teaching BS. He got angry. I walked out. I sure enjoyed that extra hour of sleep for the rest of grade 12.

Date: February 10, 2019 05:15PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:

> I told him it didn't exist....

Good for you!!! Wonder if anyone else ever challenged him?

> I sure enjoyed that extra hour of sleep for the rest of grade 12.

Yes! I enjoyed my sleep-in this morning also!

Lethbridge, you commented on one topic (can't find it now) that you never paid any tithing. I've been wanting to ask you, how you got out of it? Didn't you have to go to the tithing conference?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 11:00PM

No. Never once got asked to. I got my first summer job at age 18. Never offered to pay tithing. I walked away from the church when I was 21. Dad gave them plenty. Maybe he told them hands off his son's. I'll never know.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 09:27PM

Older kids attended seminary without too much bitching. Daughter the youngest wasn't having it. Dad would leave her off at the un-godly early hour. As soon as he was out of the parking lot, she would beat feet over to the Band Room, which was always open early for anyone who wanted to practice - she was a member of the band) and her musical skills improved remarkably well that year. She almost got away with it until one of the bishop's daughters approached DH at school, where he taught at the time, and asked, innocently enough, "Where has Dtr the Youngest been lately? We miss her at Seminary."

Of course there was a massive confrontation. Dtr made it very clear that under NO circumstances was she ever setting foot in Seminary again. She turned 18 in the middle of her Senior year, and she resigned the day she turned 18.

As it happened, I had just written my own resignation letter that day (after consultation with the late, great Kathy Worthington) so the letter was ready and waiting on the family computer. Dtr saw it and said, Please, leave it up. I'll just plug in my own data when you are done, and I'll be out, too.

Date: February 11, 2019 03:02PM

catnip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> she would beat feet over to the Band Room...

Hilarious! Good for her!!!

> Please, leave it up. I'll just plug in my own data when you are
> done, and I'll be out, too.

Great stuff. So glad you both got out and I am sure the musical practice was much more enjoyable and valuable than any of those classes/indoctrination/brainwashing sessions!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 08:40PM

I never met a Mormon that had "true" feelings.

Date: February 11, 2019 03:03PM

moremany Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never met a Mormon that had "true" feelings.

Ah, good point.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.