Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Alasmyeyesareopen ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 07:20PM

I was waiting in line at SLC airport ready to go through security and happened to look back.

On the left side I saw a man and thought to myself, "Why does this guy look familiar?" I'm sure it was only a few seconds, but it felt like minutes trying to draw on the resources in my brain. I could not place him and it was driving me bonkers.

It finally dawned on me as he passed by through 'special' security that it was none other than Mr. Bednar.

I looked around and saw a few faces light up, but for the most part just faces eager to get through security.

What struck me most is the lack of a smile. Just stone faced. Facing towards the goal probably off to another fireside or to another missionary pep rally, he took no time in meeting the eyes of anyone.

As he pushed his items through, off he went. No warmth, no smiles to the people helping him. No..nothing.

I left two years ago. I had been in the church 38 years. My most treasured ideal was that if I ever ran into a General Authority I would feel the power of God. All the aura of goodness reigning down.

I felt nothing. In fact, I felt a tiny rise of panic I haven't felt in a long while. I felt the weirdness of Bednar after watching the video of 'hugging' the boy. I always felt icky towards him even as a member.

Deep down I thought I was just a apostate monster. But alas, the feelings in person confirmed what I knew. No warmth. No smiling. And it made me sad.

I thought this would make me feel better about leaving, however, it has brought a new sadness to my heart.

Sadness at lost time. Sadness of not expanding my horizons to new experiences and people. I sat on the plane alone, pondering how I got so far in life believing these people. Sadness that my family still believes and have just left me on the roadside to fend on my own.

Sad this man gets more love than me simply because the church said he's more important than a silly gal who chooses to go against the status quo in Utah.

That they were better, kinder, more loved by Christ.

All I want to do is wrap my arms around that little girl who felt so ashamed of everything because she truly believed in the church. In a warm embrace I would kneel down, look her in those clear, innocent eyes and say, "You are enough sweetie. You are loved. You are enough."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 07:39PM

What a poignant post.

You would think these "apostles of God" might feel the obligation to always embody Christian ideals in public -- to be kind, friendly, and charitable. Instead they behave like bored executives who are girding up for yet another business trip.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 10:37PM

summer Wrote:

> bored executives who are girding up for yet another business trip.

I think you nailed it, Summer!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 11:05PM

That's exactly what it is and...I'm pretty sure that's exactly how most of them see it. Bored executives slogging through another business trip. Going through mental checklists. "Did I get the right power-point file loaded on my laptop?" "Did my secretary make the reservation at that nice restaurant?" "I better make sure to not lose the receipt, cuz I don't want to have to explain the expense again like last time." "I hope the hotel is nice. If it's nice, maybe I can cut the meetings short and have some pleasant 'me time' at the hotel." "I hope I can keep Junior's drug problem hidden. What an embarrassment!"

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 07:55PM

What a sweet post--and just before Valentine's Day.

There's nothing wrong with giving kind appreciation to your self! I'm always giving myself pep-talks, for example, "You can do this--you have done it before--you have conquered bigger challenges than this." I thought I would reach a point in adulthood, that I could face the world with confidence, but, alas, I'm still needing the same old self pep-talks. I have regrets, like you, only quadrupled, because I forced my little children to go to that cult! They have forgiven me, and are doing well but, still, what a horrible thing for me to do to them.

It helps to give appreciation and encouragement to others, as you have just done! I hope you feel better!

It was not your fault that you believed in something you thought was good. It was not your fault that you obeyed your parents and went to church. Don't beat yourself up for being a good daughter. Congratulate yourself for discovering the truth and having the courage to leave. Isn't it great to be free!

About Bednar--your Gut instincts about people are usually right. Most of us appreciate and acknowledge the people who are working to help us, in our everyday life, no matter where we are, and no matter how much of a hurry-worry we are in. It's no effort to smile (smiling uses fewer facial muscles than frowning does), or say, thank-you, to grocery checkers and bag boys, food servers, airport personnel, teachers, nurses, etc. It is common decency! (Exactly how does Bednar's work help us at all?) He sure as Hell would not have looked past Nelson or Eyring, without making eye contact! Typical suck-up. But the rules do not apply to most Mormons, including the rules of politeness.

Posted by: Logical ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 08:05PM

Devastating.

You've proven that the phony isn't what he claims to be.

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 08:25PM

On a scale of one to ten, ten being the best, I'm a constant 6 or better. Currently I'm on a hot streak! Solid 8s!

I'd be 9s and 10s if I never had to worry about paying for travel and entertainment. Which I am presuming is the position of the big 15.

I can only suppose that some of the big 15 are simply professional Grumps. I bet some of them think it sucks to be them.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 09:35AM

It sucks to have to keep a secret that big and justify stringing everyone along.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 08:30PM

I guess it's my memories, but I remember old-timers telling in SM about picking up GAs & taking them to the train station...

No security, no Special Treatment.

When I went on my mish ('67), we traveled by train, UP to Omaha, then on the Wabash Cannonball to Ft. Wayne...

I guess the GAs don't want to cause a fuss when they travel, but a smile & a Thank You to airport staff would make a much better impression...

"My religion is Kindness" - HH the 14th Dalai Lama.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2019 10:25PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 09:07PM

Not making eye contact or showing any expression gives a "keep away vibe." The G.A.'s find this useful as they really don't want to associate with "the little people from the village."

I first noticed this when the Apostle Mark E. Petersen came to our house for Sunday dinner after dedicating our chapel like they used to do decades ago. I was so excited but it felt like a duty call--and it was. Almost felt like he thought he was "slumming." His wife never even said a word and clearly couldn't wait to get outa there.

The apostles aren't nice people. They know how to project the right warmth and spirituality, love, and kindness, when they are "performing" in General Conference or firesides. However, if you catch them in their natural habitat, that is when you will see what they really are----like you did.

Alas, you can see clearly now. Fantastic. I command you not to be sad about it. :)

Date: February 13, 2019 10:42PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>they really don't want to associate with "the little people from the village."

heh heh heh....just wait till we get our torches and pitchforks though!

> he thought he was "slumming." His wife never even said a word

Ugh. What jerks. I'm sure your mom spent a lot of time cleaning and cooking for their visit, too. :(

> project the right warmth and spirituality, love, and kindness, when they are "performing"

Yep. Even my lowly ward had "performers" who couldn't be bothered to say hello once not on the podium.

> I command you not to be sad about it. :)

Great advice!!!

Date: February 13, 2019 10:55PM

They invariably interpreted his behavior in the most positive way possible, but from my perspective the behavior they described just confirmed that he was the a**hole and petty tyrant that most exmos imagined him to be.

The stories were always about him scolding somebody, nitpicking, making sure that everyone knew that he was the ranking person present (whenever someone spoke in his presence without being asked to or tried to do anything that would in anyway be interpreted as "leading".)

From what I gleaned from the stories, it appeared that he indeed imagined himself as being a great military general in God's army or something, disciplining the troops and rightly scolding slackers and backsliders. That's the way the TBMs spun it, mistakenly thinking that I would think it was a good thing.

From what I heard about his pretentious arrogance, I'm pretty sure that if I had ever been forced to spend any significant time in his presence I would have had no choice but to give him a wedgie and a spanking in front of everyone. No choice.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 10:27PM

Well isn't Bednar considered to be creepy?

Let's see he belittles his wife in public, denies that gays exist within the church and delights in holding boys while telling them they're going to sin and never reach heaven.

Date: February 13, 2019 10:43PM

messygoop Wrote:
>delights in holding boys while telling them they're going to
> sin and never reach heaven.

Well, that's enough right there to give him the title of 'creepy'...

Date: February 13, 2019 10:50PM

Hey there Alasmyeyes,

Just wanted to talk about one point in your post. His going through the 'special' ie expedited security line doesn't make him special at all!

I have that pass too! In fact, ANYBODY who is willing to pay $80 for a 5-year pass, give their fingerprints and show their birth certificate and photo ID, can get a TSA "Known Traveler" number. When you make your air reservation, you input the number along with your name and stuff, and then when your ticket is generated it prints with the symbol that lets you get into that special line.

In Bednar's case you can bet some poor sap's tithing money paid for his $80, and will continue to do so.

If you look around the Baggage Claim floor there in the SLC airport, you will be able to find the office with the hours posted for applying, it is done through Identgo which is an Idemia company. You might also be able to make an appointment online to avoid waiting in line.

Good luck and next time, I'm hoping if you see any of those jerks you will be right there with them in the expedited line which allows you to keep your shoes on and your laptop closed!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 12:04AM

Date: February 14, 2019 09:58AM

[|] Wrote:
> here it is

That poor kid. Thanks for posting!

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: February 17, 2019 07:29AM

[|] Wrote:
> here it is
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftp4-kT9VSg

The devil's territory! Bwaaaaahaaaa! That poor child.

Date: February 13, 2019 10:42PM

in the Mormon Kingdom are family members/close relatives of the General Authorities.

If you never see these guys up close and routinely, and you aren't particularly inclined to be a critical thinker, it can be easy to fall for the myth-building, faith-promoting stories that make them seem like a breed apart from us normal, fallen human beings.

It begins with the pretentious titles. Prophet. Seer. Revelator. Apostle. General Authority....

On top of that, us regular folks were always encouraged to believe that these men on at least one or more occasions have had real, direct face time with Jesus in the temple.

They don't usually come right out an lie about it, but they say things that suggest it. They talk about having a "special witness" in the temple. They refer to having experiences in the temple so special that they are tooooo sacred to talk about. They talk about having "sacred experiences" that resulted in no longer needing faith because they "now KNOW Jesus is the Christ" just as clearly as they know the sun is in the sky... or some such thing like that. Of course it's all hype and nonsense.

But imagine living as a family member with one of those pretentious "General Authorities". Some of them may be genuinely nice guys. But you'd still know that they're muddling along like everyone else. Making mistakes. Sometimes being right. Sometimes not. Sometimes eating way too much. Sometimes getting cranky. And that's just the nicer ones. Some of them are/were probably horrible people to live with.

Some of the family members probably just cynically play along because the social status and benefits are pretty cool. Others may play along in public because they feel obligated to. Others may drink the Kool Aid and, going along with the hype, pretend that mundane things and ordinary men are as "special" and "sacred" and "divinely inspired" as the hype suggests.

When I was a kid, I seriously imagined (based on all that I was taught) that these guys really did have a special line of communication with the omnipotent and omniscient Creator of the Universe. I was encouraged to imagine that they were meeting Jesus in the temple on a regular basis. I was encouraged to believe that they had such finely tuned inspiration and discernment that nobody would ever dare tell even a mild fib in their presence.

Then I learned about the way that Hoffman had played the lot of them for fools.

Then, as a missionary (and subsequently), I occasionally had the opportunity to meet some of them. I was never impressed--even though I wanted to be. Eventually, it became obvious to me that they were all just regular guys (maybe extraordinarily ambitious, but still subject to all of the human limitations that generally apply) LARPing (role-playing) in a bible-based fantasy game, where they gave to themselves titles like "prophet" and "apostle" the same way that players of Dungeons & Dragons would take on roles like "Wizard" or "Ranger".

Pure fantasy. Completely phony. They know it. They know that many other people know it. If I was doing what they were doing, I probably would be grim-faced in public too.

Date: February 13, 2019 10:57PM

Wally Prince Wrote:

> they were all just regular guys (role-playing) in a bible-based fantasy game

Yes, an extraordinarily well-paid game, for them.

> Pure fantasy. Completely phony. They know it. They know that many other people know it.

I wonder if they do, though? Do they really have enough self-reflection and self-awareness? If they had self-awareness and shame, would they keep on doing it?

Date: February 13, 2019 11:18PM

Some of them are no doubt genuinely self-deluded.

But others have engaged in sophistries and cover-ups and concealment to an extent that it's very difficult not to conclude that they know that they aren't what they publicly claim to be.

Spencer W. Kimball is one who I think may have genuinely been self-deluded and was constantly rationalizing to himself the gap between the hype and the reality.

Hinckley is one who I think is a prime example of the opposite. He liked to think of himself as a CEO and PR genius more than as a prophet. When he was asked if he was a real prophet and he replied that he was "sustained as such" ...that was another clue that he knew that he wasn't what the common folk in the church were constantly encouraged to believe he was. Oaks is another who I think is fully aware of the shaky, shaky foundations of the LSD belief system. (That's why he was ready to put his lawyerly spin on the Salamander letter and had no problem thinking it was real because it fit in with all of the other nuttiness (e.g. the holy hat and sacred stone).)

Somewhere more in between, I think the majority of them know that there is a gap between the reality of how they manage and control the church (i.e. pragmatic, business-like decision making, squabbles among colleagues, office politics, etc.) and the perception that ordinary members are encouraged to have (i.e. constant inspiration, revelation, prayerful contemplation, brotherly love and harmony, etc.) The fact that they have close to zero transparency vis-a-vis the regular members is another indication that they are knowingly managing perceptions and hiding certain facts and realities is part and parcel of that perception management operation.

Date: February 13, 2019 11:26PM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> But others have engaged in sophistries

Yes. This reminds me of my SS teacher rolling his eyes and saying "Well, theoretically." He knew it was crap but taught it to us anyway.

> cover-ups and concealment

And, see, I wonder how TSCC can keep its tax-exempt status, for example, for the Temples. How can they bar people from entry, acting like a private club with admission rules, and pay no tax on that property?

> he replied that he was "sustained as such" ...

Yep!

Wally, I wasn't in long enough to know these dudes you are talking about (you see I refuse them any title) but your knowledge and masterful analysis is fascinating.

Thanks!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 09:44AM

I would say it was generous of the G.A.s to finally let us in on how they themselves to it: "Doubt Your Doubts." They do it everyday. "Facts aren't all they are cracked up to be," they say. "The truth isn't very useful," they muse. And truth? Just a nuisance in the end.

Date: February 13, 2019 11:44PM

mel Wrote:
>If they
> had self-awareness and shame, would they keep on
> doing it?

The spectrum of personality disorders includes at one end everything from narcissism to sociopathy to psychopathy.

Most of these guys are ambitious men who have craved adulation, high status and respect to a much greater degree than most of their peers from an early age. I would say that most of them consciously aspired to attain General Authority status at least beginning in their twenties.

Statistically, I would say that many people who nurse such ambitions over the long term fit somewhere on the personality disorder spectrum mentioned above.

As such, they may have self-awareness, but not shame. They would be embarrassed if someone called them out on words or actions that revealed their duplicity. But that would be an embarrassment about being stupid enough to get caught. It would not be the guilty-conscience type of shame.

They also would likely rely on the "noble lie" rationalization, telling themselves that the Church and the mythology promoted by the Church have very positive influences on the lives of the members who believe in such things. As leaders blessed with superior intellects, they are of course aware that the mythology is not literally true. But as "stewards" of the organization, it is incumbent upon them to maintain the illusion..."for the sake of the vulnerable flock" of course. Imagine the disruption, the depression, the confusion that the flock would experience if they were suddenly deprived of their beautiful myths and illusions! That would be the type of thinking that would help them sleep at night, even if they still had some vestiges of a conscience that would otherwise be troubling.

Historically, I think Joseph Smith knowingly lied all the time. Brigham Young knowingly exploited his position and the gullibility of the members at large for personal gain. Most of us would never have risen to a high position in the Church, even if we had remained as TBMs because our empathy and conscience would have gotten in the way of advancement up the ladder. John Taylor went on record in Europe telling converts and potential converts that the Church he represented had absolutely no connection to polygamy. At the time, he already had several wives himself. I think he was self-aware. But apparently he had no shame.

That's one reason why you see so many hard-nosed business people and careerists (as well as nepotistically promoted people) in the higher ranks. Their status in the church came as a result of recognition of their skill in corporate politics. You NEVER see some humble, prayerful rancher or plumber or carpenter being called out of obscurity to an apostleship or position of high leadership. It's always someone who has been "playing the game" in the corporate world (including some who have been lifelong church employees) for the entirety of their adult lives.

Think about the calling of Dick Hinckley (Gordon's son) to be a General Authority. It's hard to imagine that there weren't hundreds...even thousands better qualified to serve in that position. But...you know... He was who he was. He got his sinecure and retired just a few years later. The tithepayers got the bill.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 09:53AM

Anyone who can fool the GAs into giving them a GA calling is well prepared for the job.

Date: February 14, 2019 10:23AM

Wally Prince Wrote:

> Most of these guys are ambitious men who have craved adulation, high status and respect

Yes! I saw them, those guys showing off in their speeches or responses to questions, the ones giving long, long, show-offy prayers. Nothing came from the heart. It was like they had memorized swathes of the BoM so they could regurgitate it and use big words and long phrases to impress us, the little people.

> Statistically, I would say that many people who nurse such ambitions over the long term fit somewhere on the personality disorder spectrum mentioned above.

Yes. I think narcissists, for sure, because you could not hold a conversation with them, there was no back-and-forth mutuality, just them, holding forth in a monologue.

> ...they may have self-awareness, but not shame... embarrassment about being stupid enough to get caught.

I see your point.

> Historically, I think Joseph Smith knowingly lied all the time. Brigham Young knowingly exploited his position and the gullibility of the members at large for personal gain.

Ah. Very interesting.

>Most of us would never have risen to a high position in the Church... because our empathy and conscience would have gotten in the way of advancement up the ladder.

I think you're right. There is nothing empathic or conscience-led about barring children of gays, or sidelining singles, or requiring women to have more children than they can easily care for or support.

> That's one reason why you see so many hard-nosed business people and careerists

Yes. Shortly after a very wealthy and successful man moved into town from out-of-state he was made the new Bishop. Literally within 2 months of moving here.

> You NEVER see some humble, prayerful rancher or plumber or carpenter

yes, ironic....Jesus being a carpenter and all...

> Think about the calling of Dick Hinckley (Gordon's son)...retired just a few years later. The tithepayers got the bill.

Disgusting.

Thanks for the deep insights, Wally! I wasn't in long enough or deep enough to know this background so I appreciate the insights!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 12:48PM

Alasmyeyesareopen Wrote:
> In a
> warm embrace I would kneel down, look her in those
> clear, innocent eyes and say, "You are enough
> sweetie. You are loved. You are enough."

What I wouldn't give to get that from my parents...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 12:55PM

I could relate in terms of so much lost. Thankfully, my family is mostly out and my parents were very accepting, so I don't have to deal with immediate family rejecting me. My daughter and I are getting along now, but she has been tough since she went back to mormonism.

I sent a letter to Boyd Packer (with permission) about my gay boyfriend. The letter I received in return was the most horrible letter I've ever received. I had to burn it. I couldn't just throw it out. I would see it and it would bring a dark feeling. He berated me and told me he was too busy for someone as lowly as I. So much for worth of a soul. I wish I had saved the letter now. My dad wanted to take out a full page ad in the SL Tribune of it.

I'm going to have to copy and print your post and save it. It spoke volumes about what it is like to have believed and then found out the truth.

P.S. Give it time. I was 38 when I left or went inactive. I had been questioning for a while. So many good things have happened since the bad got better. There is so much of life left to live. I'm 61. Some of my best years have been since I turned 47.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2019 12:56PM by cl2.

Date: February 14, 2019 01:52PM

How many members have lived thrifty and saved each penny and went without so those GA's could go around in style?

Do you think they (GAs bags) fly economy fare, stay in budget motels and eat modestly?

Hell no! But that's the perception that they sell. Lots of naive members buy into that as well.

So many members pay a good chunk to send their missionary children so they can live in filth and squalor. And I'm addressing living in $hit-hole apartments in the US full of rodents and pests.

In my mission, we were threatened to stop using the window unit air conditioner during the summer. We had a video conference (satellite broadcast) where dickhead Ballard told us specifically that our mission was extremely wasteful in frittering away sacred funds of the church because of our negligent use of utilities. Ball_nothing said that our utility usage needed to be better monitored with severe consequences for repeat offenders. My MP was thoroughly pissed off before the broadcast and he was even more upset afterwards. He threatened to cut off the cords of the AC units.

Zone leaders were sent out to verify that units were indeed off. I had a decent companion that agreed that it wasn't going to happen. After 3 days of complying with "leaving it off" we agreed to leave it on. We discovered that our hole-in-the wall apartment cooled down from 90 degrees to 82 by 3am. Neither of us were getting a good night's rest. Other missionaries were using candles to "conserve" energy. Then there was a fire in someone's apartment and any missionary found to be in possession or using candles was subject to discipline.

After my mission, I learned that the church expected a ward and their budget to be greatly stretched. I was shown by the outgoing (released) membership clerk how to keep the ward's typewriter (Yeah, this shows that I'm old!) going on a used up ribbon-cartridge. He tells me that the church expects you to "make do" with a cartridge for two years. It was to keep down expenses.

So I open up a drawer in the clerk's office and ask him about the 4 pack of brand new typewriter ribbon cartridges. He tells me that those have to last 8 more years and mentions that the stake sends out a yearly auditor to monitor ward supplies. I later had the displeasure of meeting of said church auditor. He was extremely rude and it was an unpleasant experience.

Date: February 14, 2019 04:46PM

messygoop Wrote:

"He tells me that the church expects you to "make do" with a cartridge for two years."

I don't think they really expect this, Messy. I think what they really expect is that you will dig into your own pocket and buy supplies for the church yourself because you are sick of the ribbon being shredded.

In my calling my co-teacher told me if she ever turned in a receipt they would argue so much that she spent 'too much' that she gave up and just bought all needed crap herself without reimbursement. So I did that too. Yet another win for those first-class flying GAs and their budget constraints.

Your a/c I think explains why I see the Missionaries in the (adequately cooled) library a lot....

Date: February 14, 2019 06:06PM

Where was this that ChurchCo was responsible for mish electric bills?

Date: February 14, 2019 06:44PM

This was shortly after the church had equalized the cost of all missions so families supporting the higher costs of living (Japan) would be more economically feasible. I can't remember if it was 350, 375 or 400 per month, but I know that I was having to stretch 113 dollars for food, clothing and personal items. The mission kept the rest for rent and utilities. They had a senior missionary couple running the bookkeeping at the mission office.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2019 06:44PM by messygoop.

Date: February 15, 2019 01:47PM

usually electricity is included in rent (or so I thought), but looking back, I lived in lots of member apartments.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 06:54PM

is it true he has three ass cheeks?

Posted by: wowza ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 03:08AM

You've seen how he treats his wife. He barely seems to notice her reactions to his insulting indifference. You think the responses from strangers in a crowd at SLC airport are going to register with him?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 01:42PM

He came to a local steak centre to do some so-called "business" [releasing and naming a steak president (like that boy?)] in south Mississippi a few years ago.

When he entered the chapel, lots of people stood up. I asked the folks next to me why the people were standing - or why they weren't [and you know I wasn't]. To which they replied that he wasn't like the professed profit, but simply an irregular guy (my choice of words). I'm glad they too didn't stand for that SH (*hit *ead).

He talked about nothing but himself and how he couldn't stay around to shake hands and lollygag, that he had to hurry and get out of there and catch a plain.

Pompous... like Mormonism itself.

He's certainly, and obviously, a loser. Deluded. Egotistical. Fake

Date: February 15, 2019 03:22PM

moremany Wrote:
> He's certainly, and obviously, a loser. Deluded. Egotistical. Fake

And he has found his peer group, good company with all the others in the Moron 'leadership'....

Posted by: AlasISeeTheLight ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 01:44PM

I'm laughing. I'm crying. I'm in awe of all you guys just by reading the past year. Think I'm ready to talk more.

I want to answer soon. You are amazing, insightful, and beautiful people!! Your insights helped me today far more than you'll know.

Hope to write and hear more.

You are appreciated!

Posted by: AlasMyEyesAreOpen ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 01:47PM

Ha! Too tired to scroll and remember my initial name.

Better get to registering it.

Alas,thanks again you beautiful people.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 01:50PM

Welcome AISTL
Best wishes to you
Glad you are here
Wish we all weren't
Just keep it up
Don't let us down
This is our town
We are the rulers
We can't be measured
That's how we flow!
That's how I know

Date: February 15, 2019 03:24PM

Hi Alas,

So glad you enjoyed the comments! You have found a good place here, I too am so happy I found the Board and the wonderful folks here!!! :) :) :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 05:08PM

Welcome to the board! Please do register. Your privacy will be maintained, and you can stay logged in on any device. Plus you can see new responses to threads and edit your posts. It's all good!

Posted by: IshmaeltheDeparted ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 03:10PM

Ah Bednar what do you expect from someone who talks rant in General Conference all the time? Not Sweet but Bitter that's explains a lot On his countenance and By the Way He Doesn't like to smile cause his Facial cheeks are permanently Disfigurated permanently.

Date: February 15, 2019 04:00PM

IshmaeltheDeparted Wrote:
> Ah Bednar what do you expect from someone who
> talks rant in General Conference all the time? Not
> Sweet but Bitter that's explains a lot On his
> countenance and By the Way He Doesn't like to
> smile cause his Facial cheeks are permanently
> Disfigurated permanently.

There's actually truth in that statement.
There's a photo of Bednar that shows his family in a pretty setting (lush meadows, forests and mountains). It's really a neat place for a photo. Anyways, his three sons are smiling along with Sister Bednar and then he's there with a grumpy frown, complete with his arms crossed. He's not a nice person.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 03:33PM

Sorry...got click happy. Nothing to see here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2019 03:34PM by GregS.

Posted by: anonandanon ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 05:48PM

e bread winner there should not be any feelings of "I'm better than you Just so you'll know Alasmyeyesareopen, Bednar does not see women as equal to himself. I worked with the guy and I know. His wife isn't even an equal partner to him. I hated seeing them together for that reason. It was infuriating when I saw them at home alone, except for me, together because I think husbands and wives should be equal partners. He treats her almost like a servant. I never heard him say, "Thanks Honey" or give her a pat or gentle touch like my dad always did with my mom. He's cold. I don't believe he hates women but he definitely doesn't see them on the same plane as himself. I don't believe men and women have to do all the same things but I believe that if the man stays home with the kids and the wife is thbecause of what I do for this marriage." or "I shouldn't have to do dishes because I work in an office all day" or "I'm better than you because I have the priesthood".

I also worked with other GA's and when they had to appear to an audience many would refuse to have Q&A after or meet and greet the members. They would make up excuses like, "Elder Big Wig cannot stay after the fireside because he has to dash to catch his plane" when in reality he had plenty of time or at least enough time to field a few questions or mingle and spread good will. They truly hate it and I believe it is because they are frauds and hate having to be in character for their fraudulent personas. They are faking it and it takes a lot of energy to be playing a part that is fictional 24/7.

Yes, it is sad that we had our life compass on the wrong star for so many years but in the bigger picture, we are here to learn and having survived Mormonism is quite the learning experience. I'm not glad I got sucked into Mormonism but we all get deceived at some point in our life's journey and everyone's journey is different. You may not have had the journey you wanted but you saw through Mormonism and came out on top. That's no small achievement, especially if your family is still stuck in it. Be glad and grateful you found your way out and live in the moment. It's really all we truly have.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 08:37PM

Once, my husband and I were sitting on a bench one block away from the SLC temple.

As we sat there, a man walked by groomed and dressed to the teeth, and (as it seemed) was waiting for us to make a comment to him regarding his presence. We didn't recognize him, and neither of us feinted.

(I presume he was disappointed.)

(I also presume he must have been a lowly Seventy.)

Posted by: Gold&Green ( )
Date: February 16, 2019 02:00PM

Alasmyeyesareopen,

Can understand your disillusionment!

I grew up in a state that had very few LDS at the time so had not had much contact with the"GA's"

When was on my mission several GA's and other "VIP's" came to visit our mission. Several of us were assigned to serve them and their wives dinner at the mission home.

When the time came I was literally shaking with the emotion of being that close to what I thought at the time were "Chosen Men of God".

Left the mission home that night very disappointed! A few of the wives actually looked at us and said "Please" or "Thank You". I don't recall a single one of those men as much as acknowledging our presence. Most of them struck me as cold and pompous. It was a real eye-opener for me!

Did stay in "The Church" for many years after that but it was a big turning point. I had less "blind faith", saw the "leaders" more as just people and starting questioning my faith more.

Guess I should thank them!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2019 02:04PM by Gold&Green.

Date: February 16, 2019 02:56PM

Mr. Bednar: YOU'RE NO MR. ROGERS!

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: February 16, 2019 08:03PM

Maybe he was cranky because he had to fly commercial with the commoners.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 17, 2019 02:53AM

Maybe some day Bednar will go through security when there is a disgruntled TSA employee working. Excuse me Mr. Bednar could you please come with us. In the search room Bednar gets the Root-Rooter search. I demand what are you looking for! We are looking for Joseph Smith's buried treasure.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.