Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 10:38AM

God does not stick his head in and say "Hi." Ever. 108 billion and counting children so far without an appearance except as a burning bush for Moses or hovering above a tree for Joseph, or a quickie with Mary. By the time we hear about these events they are on par with a wisp of gossip. Not even second or third hand.

We don't know him personally with regard to our five senses. Feelings is all we got. Which, makes the idea of God a blank slate. You can write on that slate whatever you want. God does not appear and correct your mistakes. You can draw sunsets. You can depict bloody battles. You can scrawl that God hates gays. That he needs to be worshipped. That he turns staffs into snakes. You can claim he loves everyone, even gays. You can write on your slate whatever you want. Jesus came to America. Why not? And no one can prove you wrong just as you cannot prove yourself right. You can claim he answers your prayers and when he is silent you can claim that is your answer. We are each in the driver's seat with our own God.

Many let others write on their slate. Either too lazy or too unimaginative to do it themselves. Then they tell their kids what is on their slate. Often the kids believe it cuz, well, Mom and Dad! They wouldn't lead me astray. They are the smartest people on the planet!

I learned a lot of horrible things in my youth. I learned a lot of bigotry. Because of what the Mormon church and Christianity in general wrote on my parents slate. Oh. You say real Christians aren't like that. Well there's a lot of Christian slates out there. A lot. Some of what's written there scares the hell out of me.

When God pokes his head in to say hi, then we should start taking this God thing seriously. Until then, "just the facts, Ma'am" is my go-to. If religion is based on anything it is hearsay and gossip. That is what is on my slate.

So I was reading a review of a book called "I Am God." Apparently not a good translation from an Italian novel and therefore only a so-so read. But, what is interesting that this author has written on his slate, unintentionally, is what a bore God is, and what a mess this God is, because, He has finally after all eternity, decided to start thinking for the first time ever. No more status quo. So he is suddenly different:

"He's [God] half heteronormative deity, half embarrassing uncle." Embarrassing uncle! Haha. Sounds like most people's God to me.

The last line of the review regarding this under-performing God: "If God in a novel cracks a joke, it can be silly or grim or anywhere in between, but it has to be funny." Which, the god in this novel never is. Like Mormon God, he has no edge. XXX for sure on AGT.

I would like, as long as people are going to continue believing in God, to put a little more effort into filling their slates. Your kitchen cabinets may be old, but it's God who really needs the update. Especially the Mormon one. At least, I guess, Russ has his slate on his nightstand and is at least making an effort. And although God still won't correct what he writes, Wendy will.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CottonShirts ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 11:48AM

Perfect observation.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 11:58AM

George Carlin explains it all here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-e2NDSTuE

Date: February 14, 2019 06:16PM

Thanks babylon. I hadn't seen that for such a long time it was like seeing it for the first time. George Carlin forever! What a gift.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 12:00PM

?

Date: February 14, 2019 12:34PM

I will see your question mark and raise you one if you are going to make me guess, Dave. :)

I find nothing offensive about my post, but, I do believe some will find it offensive. The book review just drove home once again the point that man made god and not vice versa. I like to go on and on about that sometimes. And on. Like the Mormons God who is the Same YesterdayTodayAndForever---except he isn't.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 02:44PM

I like your post very much, Done & Done.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 03:15PM

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 04:29PM

Done,

"When God pokes his head in to say hi, then we should start taking this God thing seriously."

Yeah, that's my thing too.

The funniest thing I always laughed at was people who come out of something horrible thanking god they escaped with "only" some broken bones or permanent brain damage or something. If there were really a god looking out for them why did the accident happen at all?

Thank you for the excellent essay, D&D!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 07:56PM

the local baptist church had a some quote on their sign out front about God and my thought was, "I don't know God. I know my parents." It was an eye-opening moment for me.

Date: February 15, 2019 09:57AM

"I don't know God. I know my parents."

There is something very profound and, very simple about that realization. A purity of thought I think. Anyway, those words made me pause. Deep down we know what we really have if we let it surface? Thanks cl2.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 09:34PM

Good post. Thanks.

Of course you know if Shinehah gets killed by a drunk driver that's just what happens to people who leave the church.
If Mormon Bishop down the street gets killed by a drunk driver that's because we don't understand God's ways and bishop was probably needed in the spirit world.

That Mormon God has some convoluted ways.

Posted by: CottonShirts ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 07:54AM

“God ... a quickie with Mary.”

Yeah, that’s what I told my parents, too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.