Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 18, 2019 12:46PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKu7TYWNxqA

Since The Rusty Mormon became king of The Empire I've noticed that my family speaks less of Mormonism. It is a nice reprieve. I'm going to actually call my mother today for her birthday because the last couple of times I've spoken to her I've not heard her mention the church or get angry when I mentioned how much I like tea.

My other siblings seem rarely to mention it and with my own children and wife it hardly comes up unless there is some big change to talk about.

I like the direction this is going. I'm sure after all this vitamin boosting and restful restlessness subsides their culty ways will return with the vengeance of a Celestial death stare. Until then, keep up the good work Rusty. May the force of your vanity and pride be with you, your trusty iPad, and your sidekick Wendy The Willful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 18, 2019 01:01PM

It may be Rusty, but it may also be the cumulative effect of how you've transitioned out of the church.

I'm sure it hasn't been without missteps by all involved or without any resulting drama. That being said; based on the posts I've read, you've been straightforward with your family about your opinion of the church without being belligerent.

Sometimes the best way to guide people is to subtly redirect them with small nudges as you walk beside them, rather than to push them when they are unprepared for a change in course.

Date: February 18, 2019 02:22PM

Wow! Thanks for that. I bet you are on the money. I've actually got a truce in their war.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 18, 2019 03:32PM

The approach you've taken with your family, particularly your daughter(s?) in another thread, is how I try to deal with my wife and my Mormon in-laws.

I don't know whether it is Rusty's influence, or the rapport I try to establish with the missionaries we invite over for dinner, but the missionary I warmly refer to as "Elder Redneck" took me off to the side after SM yesterday to make sure we were "still good".

The last time he was over was during one of their missionary splits. The split companion was a little zealous and the discussion was running a little hotter than anybody intended. I had allowed myself to get pulled into a conversation I didn't want to have, though we both scored points we wanted; I stated what I knew about Joseph Smith and the falseness of his claims, and the split companion bore his testimony.

Anyway, Elder Redneck (what he good-naturedly calls himself) felt bad that I was "put on the spot" and wanted me to know that the goodwill we share means more to him than trying to convert me.

I assured him that we were still good and that I understood it was neither his intent nor his doing to put me on the spot, and "oh, I'm supposed to ask whether you and Elder Thespian (his regular companion) are free for dinner this week."

Date: February 18, 2019 04:04PM

GregS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The approach you've taken with your family,
> particularly your daughter(s?) in another thread,
> is how I try to deal with my wife and my Mormon
> in-laws.

Yes, and I have three beautiful daughters.

> I assured him that we were still good and that I
> understood it was neither his intent nor his doing
> to put me on the spot, and "oh, I'm supposed to
> ask whether you and Elder Thespian (his regular
> companion) are free for dinner this week."

LOL! The force of entertaining dinner appointments.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: February 18, 2019 02:41PM

"notice" is not the correct word. It's blatantly obvious.

We visited TBM family in Utah this summer and THINGS HAVE COMPLETELY CHANGED. This has nothing to do with our behaviour but I'm convinced based solely on what the Mormon church is telling them.

Have you not noticed the church has specifically telling TBMs to be "nicer" to everyone?

It's all part of their game.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 18, 2019 02:54PM

This focus on the administrative and superficial will make Mormonism more palatable for it's adherents and potential conversion victims. This makeover is meant to gain and retain people, not recover them.

To me, this angry diatribe about not wanting to look so weird is a clear indicator that Rusty has written us off. So good for us.

My family has also backed off in the way you describe. Although I suspect that it has more to do with a very flimsy treaty where if you don't tell me that Joseph is awesome I won't tell you that he raped little girls.

Date: February 18, 2019 04:07PM

jacob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This focus on the administrative and superficial
> will make Mormonism more palatable for it's
> adherents and potential conversion victims. This
> makeover is meant to gain and retain people, not
> recover them.

If this is true I'm all for not being the focus for potential reconversion and love bombing.

I hope it is. They can move their deck chairs all they want as long as they aren't trying to get me to sit in them.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 19, 2019 09:00AM

I now keep my mouth shut about all my daughter's activities, but even she mentioned the church and its changes. I asked her and she mentioned one thing and then shut her mouth after that. I knew she had more to say as she is the one who brought it up, but she has learned to not mention the things in her life I don't like and not because I say anything about them anymore. She just doesn't like to agree with me and let me know it.

She isn't happy about the 2 hour block. She is irritated that you have to do the family hour of study. They said to do it after their 2 hour block and she and her husband have chosen to do it BEFORE the 2 hour block so they don't have something they have to do when they get home from church. It's easier to just go to church and not have to do it themselves is what she said.

I think Nelson is making it so many mormons are a bit bewildered about the changes being made.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2019 09:00AM by cl2.

Date: February 19, 2019 12:20PM

I hear ya.

It is like they want to talk to me about the changes and then hold back because they want to possibly complain.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 02:41AM

I have also noticed on Facebook I have seen a lot less of the obnoxious "I'm a Mormon" style of crap.

Maybe they're learning the principle of "live and let live"? Maybe they'll stop preaching that Mormonism is the one and only true path to happiness and salvation?

As a TBM I was often frustrated about some new gimmicky sales pitch the church would seem to roll out every couple of years. I felt that best recruiting tool that the church had by far was its own members. If the members are happy and they and their families reflect that, people would naturally want to join. Just live your religion and the large missionary force and advertising campaigns would be completely unnecessary.

Anyways, I do hope that the church moves away from its more cultish tendencies and continues to mainstream. It won't bring me back, but it might be much less damaging to others.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.