Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: March 02, 2019 07:45AM

https://www.amazon.com/Next-Mormons-Millennials-Changing-Church-ebook/dp/B07MTGMC7K/

On my Kindle queue.

I stayed active as long as I did because of the genuine (though admittedly misplaced/naive) belief that my generation would force positive changes and bring Mormonism out of the 1800s and into the modern era, much like the reformed movement did for Judaism.

Here's an initial read from my favorite exMo economist - https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2019/03/the-mormon-asymptote.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 02, 2019 08:28AM

When you're dealing with a cult it is all about control from the top down. That is the very thing TSCC will never relinquish control of, down to its dying collective breath.

The deception can only work insofar as it has followers though. With each new generation I believe the ranks will get smaller because only the most brainwashed and simpletons will be among those electing to stay in a known cult.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: March 02, 2019 04:02PM

With more people leaving and missionaries coming home early, there are many examples for people to see that it is perfectly fine to leave.
My neices and nephews didn't know that my boys had never been to church before, until they stayed over at their house for one weekend. When my wife and I returned a few days later, my boys told us that they never wanted to go to a church again. I hope that their cousins learned that they don't have to go either.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 11:03AM

The oldest leading the youngest? No!

The most cunning "leading" the most trusting [astray]? Yes!

The young leading? Not a chance!

LDS youth are NEVER listened to. They may as well be outsiders, or non-mormons. I don't think I was a Mormon as a kid (or ever). Just a partially-duped youth, with a STIFLING dunce cap on, placed in a (dark) corner.

ALL Mormonism is corners. It attempts to corner the youth, beginning in primary, trying to force them to believe the bs (broker smith).

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 05:12PM

Any millennial MORmON who grew up with Google at their fingertips and never bothered to research the truth claims of Joseph's Myth deserves to get defrauded.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 12:36AM

Jana still seems to think that the leaders of the church want to have a vibrant, engaged institution. They do not. Their only interest is in preserving their seats of power.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 01:43AM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Their [the Q15] only interest is in preserving their seats of power."

That comment made me remember the following:

Which is why I believe that Apostle Jeffrey R. Holland said the following so emphatically on April 26, 2016:

"(31:37)
I am so furious with people who leave this church. I don’t know whether furious is a good apostolic word. [massive laughter] But I am. What on earth kind of conviction is that? What kind of patty-cake, taffy-pulled experiences is that? [laughter] As if, as if none of this ever mattered; as if nothing in our contemporary life mattered; as if this was all JUST SUPPOSED to be [near yelling] JUST EXACTLY the way I want it? And answered EVRY one of my questions – and pursue this and occupy that – and defy this and then maybe I’ll be a later-day Saint. Well, there’s too much Irish in me for that. [laughter]

"(32:29)
[emphatically] This church means everything to me. Everything. I don’t care what happens; I don’t care what price has to be paid, as painful as that can be; and as much as I don’t want to invite the test as much as I don’t want to sound arrogant, or self-confident, or filled with any kind of pride other than the love of the Lord – this church means everything to me. And I’m NOT going to leave it. And I’M NOT GOING TO LET YOU LEAVE IT. And if there’s anybody in this room who’s investigating, I want to talk to you tonight before the clock strikes twelve for you to get in it. [laughter]"

------
RFM original post:
https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1809298,1809298#msg-1809298

RFM archive of post:
https://www.exmormon.org/Transcript-of-Apostle-Jeffrey-R-Holland-Tempe-Rescue.pdf

Posted by: dinosaurprincess ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 01:33AM

One of the things that really made me think was in Rough Stone Rolling when JS made an army march out and not only did they fail their mission but a ton of them died horribly from like dysentery
on the way back. I might have that all wrong but that screamed "what kind of prophet sucks that badly that people had to die for no reason?"

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 03:00AM

http://www.mormonthink.com/glossary/zions-camp.htm

It did result in the discovery of Zelph, however.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.