Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SuperDell ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 11:13AM

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commentary/2019/03/17/commentary-there-is-room/

L-d$,inc is dishonest and this really shows it.

Stealing the name? Now we know why Jesus personally tells "his servants, the prophets" why the highest calling is Lawyer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 06:47PM

"Behold, Russell, my Prophet, it is my will to cause confusion on the Interwebs and in the hearts and minds of men. Therefore I, the Lord, command you to give unto mine own website a URL which is nearly identical unto that which is registered by one of the apostate spawn of mine own Church. And the URL which thou shalt use is ChurchofJesusChrist.org. Without the 'The.'"

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 06:55PM

That was a very interesting article, thank you for posting. How strange, wonder if indeed these churches will sue each other?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 07:02PM

RCOJC. I like that. R u an old coj c?

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 08:17PM

I hope enough time has passed since the tragedy so that this won't be amiss.

The article's author referenced the "...untimely murder of Joseph Smith..." and that's quite true, but probably not for the reason he believes it to be. I say it was untimely because had he lived there would have been a strong possibility that the State would still be named Utah after it's original inhabitants, but Mormons would not have settled it. And there would be no RfM.

We'd all be 'different', just not in a Mormonish way.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 09:16PM

rocomop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We'd all be 'different', just not in a Mormonish way.

I wouldn't exist because my ancestors wouldn't have met.

And I wouldn't exist without polygamy since I'm descended from second/third/fourth wives. And polygamy probably wouldn't have made it out of the closet if Mormons hadn't had the relative isolation of Utah.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 19, 2019 07:38AM

I knew that The Church of Jesus Christ is an LDS off-shoot, but I didn't realize that it's the Bickertonites. I hope that the Bickertonites are able to engage the legal system to protect the name of their church. This was a thoughtfully written and interesting op-ed.

Date: March 19, 2019 02:44PM

In a few years LDS Corp will have the temple lot and have trademarked "The Church of Jesus Christ." I would bet money.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 19, 2019 07:01PM

You might very well be right. The LDS church certainly has the deep pockets and the legal muscle should church authorities choose to go there.

OTOH, it's possible that the next "profit" may have different priorities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 05:09AM by summer.

Date: March 20, 2019 11:02AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OTOH, it's possible that the next "profit" may
> have different priorities.

Possible, but in my opinion if "The Church of Jesus Christ" can get the temple lot they will have completely eclipsed both formerly called RLDS and all the other early splinters in being the caretakers of Joseph's Myth.

The name change is in their wheelhouse as "prophets" but they like to keep what hasn't changed in a very long time unchanged.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 04:41AM

I will never know as the EU's plan to cut Europe off from the Internet is working.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.