Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 03:22PM

RfM'er Lachesis in another thread added this comment, which I took as a bit of satire. But as my subject line asks, could Mormonism get to that point? (Nice job, Lachesis, you alloter you!)

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2207447,2207587#msg-2207587

> But sadly, probably coming soon, "I (Rusty)
> dreamed that Sister Jones knocked on our door
> and said she had something to tell me and she
> told me that her son just said he was gay. I
> told her that she would have to appear before a
> high council court and answer for how she raised
> him and if she answered that she had ever let
> him listen to a Cher album she would have to be
> excommunicated. Write that down. Parents must
> answer for why they raised a GLBT child."

What if they start holding parents 'responsible' for the sin of resigning when it's their children doing the resigning? What if they decide that this might work to hold the kids hostage to the religion. They could guilt the kids into at least not formally resigning so as to spare the parents whatever the penalty would be. At least that way the numbers would still be there, and this horrible (to them) plague of dwindling numbers would be cured.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 04:26PM

No one is safe. It was Barbra Streisand who turned me gay and I know several people who were done in by Judy Garland. You can't be too careful. I hear Lady Gaga is turning guys by the millions. Where's a good Kate Smith album when you need it?

Unfortunately I can see Russ doing just what you describe above. I have no doubt at all that Dallin and Bednar would. None.

They don't get it. Times are changing and there's some a lot of Mormon parents aren't going to choose the church over their kids and they can only straddle the divide for so long.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: March 23, 2019 03:06PM

I have heard that telling a young gay man that Liza Minnelli is Judy Garland's daughter is the equivalent of saying that Jesus Christ is the son of God.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 23, 2019 11:59AM

against the children of gays? I agree. I can see this happening.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 01:15AM

Does anyone think there's any effective control or limit(s) to what he might do?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 09:45AM

Shhh. Don't give them any ideas.

It could backfire though. It could cause even more people to resign.

Or sadly, it could also lead to more gay children harming themselves due to the guilt.

At some point, they have to realize that they're waging a losing battle. People are going to be who they are and that's exactly what they should be doing.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 10:11AM

My "temple" aunt has a gay son. She's 80 and her horrible disgusting self-righteous husband is 86. Let's see them blame she and her husband for him being gay. He just got divorced from his second female spouse. He isn't allowed to be gay in his family. They have done everything possible to punish him for being gay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2019 10:12AM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.