Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 11:41PM

All I have heard in the media today are the supposed "tears of joy" from TBMs. The problem is that the TBMs that defended the 2015 "policy" in my life are eerily quiet, perhaps because they have a little less of TSCC's permission to be bigots?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PilgrimUSA ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 01:00AM

I'm not happy with it. And I resigned over a year ago. The vertigo I am experiencing with all the fluctuating "doctrine" and name changes makes me wonder how anyone could take this group seriously. Even worse, how generations of my family stayed with it. Then I'm unhappy with myself for taking it seriously for almost 70 years.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 11:04AM

Exactly and well said. How does one rationalize all the flip-flopping as coming from some Omniscient universe creating loving Heavenly Father? If he exists he would have to be insulted at being maligned by the Mormons as being the cause of their ridiculousness and bigotry.

Accepting all these "all over the place" obviously clueless policies as revelation is way beyond mental gymnastics. It is complete surrender of the self.

I can't imagine how it must feel after seventy years but "vertigo" seems like an apt description. Good for you.

Posted by: PilgrimUSA ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 04:24PM

When I realized how the leaders of the LDS church have blasphemed God from the very beginning to this day, as well as Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, that was the END for me. I have become a Christian, baptized into the Anglican church (which doesn't say it is the only true church!), and realize now what worship and unchanging doctrine is. It seems odd to say, but the LDS church does NOT worship anything but itself. It is an idol unto itself.

Posted by: anon2828 ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 05:48PM

Out of curiosity, how did you decide on baptism with the Anglican church?

Posted by: pilgrimusa ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 09:43PM

I attended quite a few churches in the two years of my initial despair over LDS leadership and the idolization of that leadership. I attended Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian, and non-affiliated congregations before I attended the Anglican services. Anglicans are a liturgical religion, and the Book of Common Prayer is what brought me to them. It was a relief to know exactly what was going to be said and done during the services (no more crazy doctrinal weirdness or talks from people who know sod-all about God and too much about Joseph Smith).

When the priest asked to speak to me in his office, I told him I had left Mormonism and why. He was a wonderful man. He asked if I wanted to be baptized. I said, "when?" He said, "how about tomorrow?" And with shaking knees, I did it. I haven't looked back--and find peace and worship aplenty.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 05:13AM

That’s kind of how I feel. This was a faith issue. Lots of people saw the 2015 policy as a test of faith, that they had to eat their doubts and trust that their leaders were right. Now it turns out that it was all for nothing. It makes you wonder if what they say about God not allowing the prophet to lead the church astray is true either.

Hopefully there will be fewer suicides.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 06:31AM

it was a "prophet" who said that God would never let a "prophet" lead the church astray.

Something about it just made me feel like I was stuck inside a big self-referential circle that was spinning around faster and faster and faster.....

It reminded me of how I felt when I read the huge orange all-capitalized word FRESH!!! on the front of an old box of cereal that was 10 years past the small-print expiration date that could barely be seen on the bottom of the box. It was so confusing. The box declared in no uncertain terms that the cereal inside it was FRESH!!! But it was a very old box of cereal.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 07:15AM

If the church would have had any access to God, they would have known fourty years or more ago what the internet tells us now, that there was just as many gay people then (by percentage) as there are now. So why did gods so-called representatives preside over teachings and a culture that promotes suicide of these people then, but suddenly figures out what they were doing wrong, just now? Was the church wrong then, or is it wrong now? If you could put the Spencer W. Kimball of the late 1970s in a room together with today's President Nelson, which God would they have in common? Looking back to 2015, why was it appropriate for a child to disavow their parents then, but now the church doesn't want them to disavow those same parents now? Is the church listening to God or to the large group of people who resigned from the church after 2015? If the church stops disciplining what they say is a sin that is next in serious to murder, when will they start teaching that murder isn't so bad either? Where are their formal apologies from their self-acknowledged mistaken policies and docterines of the past? Where is their moral core?

In this theocracy where church members are not given a vote and are only asked to sustain their support of their church leaders, my premise that I have held for several years now has been that each church member really does get to vote and that their votes count. But you only get one vote. It's the one that you cast when you resign your church membership. That vote really does count as is evident by this change in church policy. Apparently, it only took one thousand to fifteen hundred member resignations to vote-in a change of church policy on a deeply ingrained issue this time. What next?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2019 07:25AM by azsteve.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 07:30AM

Maybe the church really is true. It would have taken a direct order from God himself to get that prick Dallen Oaks to make such an announcement. Dallen is probably sitting at home sulking now and thinking "...what in the hell did I just do? Who in the hell does God think he is, making me lighten-up on those gays like that? Now what can I do next to oppress and discriminate against them?"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2019 09:27AM by azsteve.

Posted by: Vahn421 ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 08:32PM

AZSteve, you also "Vote" with your tithing dollar. I'm sure there was a significant amount of members who didn't resign but stopped paying their tithing. The numbers that show up in dollar signs are more significant to the church than any other.

Posted by: Valium and Pepsi ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 12:10PM

Sorry, Mormons, it's too late. Those members who resigned are not going to return any time soon. Once you've discovered the countless lies, and you've felt freedom from the burden of those lies, and you've seen your children become more joyful, and you've let love take the place of dogma, you never want to crawl back down that muddy rabbit-hole.

Where was the Mormon church when gays were the underdogs? When the suicides were happening? The Mormons were denying, casting blame on others, shunning, doing electroshock in the basement at BYU. The whole thing makes me sick to my stomach.

I predicted this would happen, and no one would believed me. I have friends who are gay, and I know what power they and their supporters have as an organized group, politically, socially, and FINANCIALLY. They hit the Mormons where it hurts--in their wallet! Of course, the Mormon cult changed their policy!" I'm having fun saying "I told you so."

I read somewhere that college sports teams were refusing to play games with BYU and other church schools, because of this issue. A large, powerful Nation-wide group can really put the pressure onto a little Utah cult.

I love your comments, here, especially about the Mormons blaming God for all of this.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 05:26PM

A shitload!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.