Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 07:53PM

"In the beginning was the Logos. The Logos was with God and the Logos was God." John 1:1 ( in the original Greek. )
Logos, to the ancient Greeks meant, "the active reason pervading and animating the Universe. It was conceived as material and is usually identified with God or Nature. The Stoics also referred to the seminal logos ("logos spermatikos"), or the law of generation in the Universe, which was the principle of the active reason working in inanimate matter. Humans, too, each possess a portion of the divine logos."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos#Stoics

The Chinese translators of the Bible translated Logos as "Tao".
To Chinese Tao translates loosely as "The Way of Nature"

"Yes I believe in God, if by the word, "God", you mean the embodiment of the immutable laws that govern the Cosmos." Sagan

"I use the word, "God", in an impersonal sense, the way Einstein did, for the laws of Nature, so knowing the mind of God is knowing the laws of nature. I predict we'll know the mind of god by the end of this century. M theory is the best candidate for a complete unified theory. It allows for a very large number of possible histories of the universe." Stephen Hawking, Brief Answers to the Big Questions, Is there a God?

"When Michio Kaku (co-founder of M theory) asserts that the goal of string field theory is to “read the mind of God,” it’s important to remember he’s talking about Einstein’s God of Order. To “read the mind of God” would be to find that (one-inch) equation that explains everything in the cosmos. Bearing in mind the continual game of leapfrog going on between math and physics, and that the latest leap is physics' string theory, which requires a new type of math, Kaku mischievously suggests that the ultimate solution to the schism between physicists and mathematicians could be that God is a mathematician. And, he says, the mind of God — the explanation of Order — may turn out to be string field theory’s “cosmic music,” the resonating of strings through 11-dimensional hyperspace." Big THink, Michio Kaku believes in God, if not that God.

https://orbitermag.com/michio-kaku-believes-god-not-god/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2019 07:56PM by koriwhore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 08:43PM

^^^^^^

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 08:45PM

Especially through the last couple of decades (well, three or four for sure) I have observed an increasingly steady "upward"/"inward"/"outward" development (intellectually, and also "spiritually") of how the concept, and the word [god] is apprehended, with additional sectors of thought joining in, and all of them coming into gradual agreement with each other.

The various "things" which happened "around," and often as a result of, Esalen (a former center for human growth and research on the California coast, which became nationally and internationally known in the 1960s) will, I think, be acknowledged down the line as critically important in what continued to happen after Esalen closed.

What once was the province of intellectuals (philosophers, physicists, etc.--Spinoza, Aldous Huxley, Einstein) is now, literally, the varied subject matter of well-considered YouTube videos (if you ignore the nonsense stuff "about" the "same" topics which also abounds on YouTube) .

The non-Christian "dark ages" have already undergone some serious maturation.

I have been immensely impressed with the, recent to me, mutual understanding between Jews and Hindus that the advanced [deity] concepts of Ein Sof [Jewish], and of Brahman [Hinduism], are identical (despite the different names and poetic allusions attached to each).

Add in the corroborating work of physicists whose scientific thinking is echoing concepts in this same philosophical area, and the results (to me, anyway) are breathtaking.

[I am also observing a strengthening current of pantheists and animists joining into this emerging consensus.]

If this continues, the definition of the word "god" will be quite different sixty years in the future--but the important thing to realize is: This has already been well underway for the last sixty years. I have been actively observing a whole lot of this development happening during my own lifetime.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2019 08:48PM by Tevai.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.