Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 02:29AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Musty ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 06:30AM

How do we know this hasn't been faked? It would be easy to calculate the moves before hand and program them into the computer. Very little is as it seems.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 06:54AM

I'm with you. It took me the better part of a week, and knowing what I know (you have "to develop" your own science) about the arrangement of the "corners," this looks staged to me.

Video editing is also a possibility.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 09:09AM

I was wondering this also.

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 09:20AM

The time required to compute the solution is negligible compared to the time needed for the mechanical movement of the cube faces. If a human being can find the solution in a few minutes, a modern computer can do it in milliseconds.

A web search will pull up repositories of open source software for solving Rubick’s Cube along with benchmarks showing the time required for the computation.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 11:05AM

This would be *very* easy to fake. All you need to do is to get a Rubik's Cube which has already been solved, and then jumble it up a few times. Then the computer runs that same process in reverse, and it looks as if it solved it by itself.

Personally I'm more puzzled by how the cube didn't fall apart at that speed!

Probably brought to you by the same lab which brought us "cold fusion" some years ago. Some people believed in that for a while. (And it was in Utah, which makes it marginally relevant to this forum.)

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 11:43AM

It would also be *very* easy to do for real, once you’ve got the mechanical part working.

The software to solve the cube is fast and readily available. The state of a random cube could be entered by hand, or (more likely) could be measured with cameras using common off the shelf machine vision software.

The hard part is mechanically rotating the faces of the cube at such speed. If you can believe that a group from MIT can do that, there’s no point creating conspiracy theories around the rest.

Date: May 18, 2019 12:15PM

That left me skeptical. There's no doubt a computer could generate a solution in milliseconds; I note, however, the programmer must know how to "solve" the cube in the first place in order to create the software to effect the solution. That solution probably has to be the most parsimonious one taking into account the need to coordinate which cube face is rotated when. I recall reading online accounts that were "illuminating" to me because they began with different parameters than the one I used.

There's also the matter of inputting the data on the initial positions of the cube faces. Was this done optically?

/engineer's kid voice off

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 09:31AM

It’s a speed demonstration for a robot. Of course the moves are precomputed. Looks pretty cool. A robot like that could put professional Rubik’s Cube solvers out of work.

Date: May 18, 2019 11:07AM

Rubik's Cubes are just a bit of fun, and a bit of mental exercise. It's a bit like chess computers... many people still enjoy chess, and no computer will ever put them off that, even if its abilities are vastly superior.

Date: May 18, 2019 07:09PM

Mathematics will outlive the heat death of the Universe. So there’s that.

Posted by: KesslerTheNevermo ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 11:14AM

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 11:32AM

This is totally possible. When I was sixteen, a friend showed me how to solve the rubik's cube. You do it one layer at a time with pre-determined moves, based on existing patterns. Everything is relative to the center pieces which are fixed and can't be moved. We used to take the cubes apart, sand them where needed, and use vaseline to lubricate them before putting them back together. Any manual/logical task I can do in a minute can be done by a computer in a fraction of a second. But with the center pieces held in place, I can't see what is moving the rest of the pieces. Some mechanical thing has to rotate the edges and I can't see anything like that in the video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2019 11:35AM by azsteve.

Date: May 18, 2019 12:30PM

Rotating the center pieces is what effectively "rotates" the edges.

The devil is in the details in determining which center piece to rotate when.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 11:44AM

It was faked. Did you notice the move of red bishop to queen's rook 4? Illegal!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 04:54PM

The moves were precomputed. Even human speed cubers get to examine the cube beforehand and plot out what moves they will need to execute.

Calculating the moves wasn't the point. That's easy enough to do. Actually carrying out the moves at that speed was the point.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 07:03PM

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/fastest-robot-to-solve-a-rubiks-cube

That was set over two years ago. It hardly seems unreasonable that a 0.38 second solution time by a machine could be achievable today.

Date: May 18, 2019 07:14PM

Okay, but how fast can it make me a sandwich?

Date: May 20, 2019 07:39AM

Now let's see it solve one of these so fast -

https://youtu.be/qlnUEknwdcI

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 01:47PM

We bought one when they were all the rage...and it met it's just demise. I hate puzzles so you can speculate at to what became of it.

Date: May 20, 2019 07:43AM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We bought one when they were all the rage...and it
> met it's just demise. I hate puzzles so you can
> speculate at to what became of it.

I remember when they came in. There was a sequel puzzle - I forget the name - and that was more fun in some ways though fragile. It was a good way to shut up kids for days on end.

Some people I knew would remove the stickers on the cheap ones and replace them to make it look like the puzzle was solved. Unfortunately that meant that when it was jumbled again, I think there were problems.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 20, 2019 09:06AM

The solving moves were probably all programmed-in before the moves started, based on the specific starting pattern. Theoretically, it should be possible to write a program to let anyone randomly scramble the cube and then the machine resolves under any given starting pattern. It's probably easier than teaching a computer to win at chess.

The way I learned to resolve the cube, there are only five or six different types of moves (series of shifts to get a desired result). The goal is to solve the colors one layer at a time (bottom, middle, top). When you see a given pattern on the layer you are working on, you do a specific move to put the colored square you want to where it goes, in a way that doesn't mess-up your previous work. The last few moves on the top layer are the most complex. But for most of the moves, you don't know why they work. You just do a complex series of moves based on the starting pattern and it works in a way to move your intended piece in to place without messing-up your previous work. Actual resolution times should vary based on how many actual moves were required to resolve the given starting pattern. Sometimes because of luck, much fewer moves are needed.

A computer should be able to be most efficient. Instead of five or six different types of moves that put one piece into place at a time, it could shift to solve most efficiently, every piece in to place all at the same time, based on the shortest number of moves possible, no matter how complex the required moves have to be to do it. Like a chess master, the computer would think several moves ahead instead of just working on the next move without thinking ahead yet about following moves. The order of resolution for each piece for a human is random and usually starts with the layer you're most used to working on first (example: white as bottom layer always). But theoretically, the computer would solve in the most optimal order to achieve the shortest number of moves, without favoring any specific color as (home-base). I've tried to switch my home color (bottom layer face color) and at best, it's very slow because of the mental shift (mental translations of color patterns needed) that are required. Often with a new home color, you get lost in the middle of a series of shifts and have to start over when you see your former home color is lost in the mash and then you forget where you were in the middle of a series of moves.

The method I use is done in the following order:
1.) Bottom (home color) corner pieces (4 pieces)
2.) Bottom layer edge pieces (4 pieces) then bottom layer is done
3.) Middle layer edge pieces (4 pieces) then middle layer is done
4.) Top layer corner pieces (4 pieces)
5.) Top layer edge pieces (4 pieces) then cube is done

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2019 09:55AM by azsteve.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.