Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 02:35AM

Found a hymnal from 1909. Here are just a few of the songs.

Utah we love thee.
Flag of the free
Rock of Ages
We are bees of Deseret
Be it ever so humble there's no place like home
In our lovely Deseret
Rock a bye baby
Little Purple Pansies
Battle Hymn of the Republic
Utah the Queen of the West
Don't kill the little birds
Utah star of the west
The Star-spangled Banner
My Country Tis of Thee
Away in the Manger listed as Luther's Cradle Hymn
Onward, Christian Soldiers
Hail Columbia
The Mormon Boy

There were 4 hymns about Joseph Smith's centennial birth.

Some standards were

Our favorite Praise to the man.

The spirit of god like a fire is burning
Come come ye saints
How firm a foundation
we thank thee o god for a prophet
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam
etc

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:12AM

Interesting.

I still remember when the church upgraded the dark blue hymnal to the green one. I was rather shocked that my peer age acquaintances were brutally honest in their review of the BKP inspired hymnal. The inside jacket had a yellow swirl pattern. A bunch of them wondered who had blown their nose and left their snot inside.

The blue copies were falling apart. Many had duct tape holding the outer binding. The interior paper was dingy yellow from heavy acid paper. There were smudge marks from sweaty fingers when they were in buildings without AC. A great impression for an investigator, right?

I haven't been back in 20 years. Has the church rolled out a newer version or is the 1980's version still in use?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 11:40AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:30AM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has the church
> rolled out a newer version or is the 1980's
> version still in use?

They announced a new hymnbook and children's songbook about a year ago.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/latter-day-saint-hymnbook-and-childrens-songbook-revised

Looks like they'll be doing more whitewashing and clearing out more of the Utah/USA-centric stuff. They're also taking submissions for new hymns.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:47AM

So new hymns coming?

Possible add-ons?

-I never knew that the church taught that!

-There are only happy members, never gays in our church

-Scrubbing and cleaning, boy does Jesus love me

-I often go shopping in our lovely shopping mall

-We're building our kingdom one office tower at a time

-If you ever leave, don't let the temple door hit you on your hmmf!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 12:47PM by messygoop.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 01:06PM

- Don’t kill the little kittens

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 12:48PM

My goodness, were we in the same ward?

That is a flawless description of the old blue hymnals as well as the reactions when the new one came out.

Former Mormonism really is the same everywhere you go i guess.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 12:46PM

I grew up with the Hymnal in which Hymn #4 was:

"All Creatures of Our God and King"

Alleluia!

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 01:48AM

I admit to having questionable taste, but "All Creatures of Our God and King" is a hymn I actualy like. Of course the LDS hymnologists lifted it from the Protestants, who in turn borrowed the text from a translation of a poem by St. Francis of Assisi.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 08:37PM

Gladly the Cross-eyed Bear

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 12:02AM

According to the current Grand Poo Bah and Sacred Fartmeister of the Church, yeah, even Russell M. Nelson, those ignorant Mormons of the early twentieth century were making Jesus cry, weep and moan every time they sang that hymn from the church-approved hymn book. And that tradition of torturing Jesus continued right up to Thomas Monson, Fartmeister Nelson's immediate predecessor as top leader guy for the Church.

Just listen to the evil President Monson expressly commending a gang of Aaronic priesthood thugs who intentionally organized a mass torture session aimed directly at making Jesus suffer:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2005/10/do-your-duty-that-is-best?lang=eng

---> Monson: "Just two months ago, on Sunday, July 31, I was at Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia, attending an LDS sacrament meeting held during the National Scout Jamboree. My purpose in being there was to speak to the 5,000 Latter-day Saint young men and their leaders who had spent the previous week participating in the activities of the jamboree. They sat reverently in a natural amphitheater as an impressive 400-voice Aaronic Priesthood chorus sang:

A Mormon boy, a Mormon boy,

I am a Mormon boy.

I might be envied by a king,

For I am a Mormon boy.

(All that crying, weeping and loud groaning and moaning that you hear? That's Jesus as each utterance of the phrase 'Mormon boy' hits him like the lash of a barbed whip. Ouch! Stop hurting Jesus!)

As if that's not bad enough, take a listen to another Prophet, Ezra Taft Benson, eagerly punching Jesus in the gut and face with his own rendition of "Mormon Boy":

https://ma.vizion.lv/video/A6iWpvb8exXe7VQ%3D.html

Listen to Benson go after Jesus so eagerly. Landing blow after blow. He may as well have been hammering nails into Jesus's flesh.

(Sounds like "Marmon" but I'm quite sure Benson was intending to say "Mormon" Jesus knows and feels the pain all the same.)

Russell M. Nelson is literally the Savior's savior. We don't believe that Jesus could have taken much more of the abuse that past Mormon prophets were heaping on him.

Past Mormon Prophets: "Hey Jesus..."

Jesus: "What can I do for you?"

Past Mormon Prophets: "Mormon! Mormon! I'm a M O R M O N! I'm a M O O O O R MMMMMon! mormonmormonmormon! I'm a MORMON BOY! How you like that Jesus?"

Jesus: "Ouch! Ugh! Ooof! Oh my me! Oh my me! Stop! Pleeaaase! It's more than I can bear! Ouch! Ouch!"

Posted by: AJM ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 12:20PM

Wow all those patriotic songs in the hymnal back when they were still doing the oath of revenge on the US in the temple ceremony, sickening.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 01:37PM

It's a rare find and you might want to prove what's in it.

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 11:39AM

I read some years back that an older LDS hymnal seemed to predominately contain hymns for singing at funerals. Many of the funeral hymns were for specific people, i.e., son, daughter, parent, and infant. The "funeral hymnbook" may have been older than the 1901 edition. Are there many funeral hymns in the 1901?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 11:06PM

Looking closer. This particular hymnal states it is for sunday school use.

The preface says music directors from each ward and stake eere asked to submit their top 10 favorite songs. From that list 300 were chosen for the hymnal.

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 11:47AM

Ah! Then the "funeral" hymnbook was an older edition. Thank you for your reply.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.