Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 01:39AM

SL Cabbie wrote, right before the thread got closed,

"My Reply on This Nonsense...

Was derailed; essentially the simple question I raised was "What qualifies a 'world class geneticist' to speak to the issues of folklore and anthropology?"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He's talking about genetics, and what the folklore and anthropology might have in common with the narrative told by our genetics.
I also pointed out that Sykes is hardly "world class,"
He's a scientist who wrote a book about a theory of his that he developed, what does it matter if he's 'world class' or not? What do you only read books by Nobel Prize recipients?
and the links with the mythical yeti and Bigfoot and the suggestion of an "oral tradition" stretches the boundaries of reason and is strictly the province of "theater of the absurd."
We are, on average 3% Neanderthal, genetically, which is huge, considering only 1.8% of our DNA separates us from Chimpanzees and Bonobos.
You act like there's zero percent chance of us having any kind of an inherited memory of past events encoded in our genes.
I think what we're conscious of is like the tip of the iceberg, and the vast majority of what makes us tick is subconscious, the part Jung and Joseph Cambell wrote about, among others.

Finally, whatever the origins of this fable, Bigfoot is invariably described as a "hairy giant," and Neanderthals were shorter than modern Homo sapiens and lived in Eurasia and not North America.

06/22/2019 12:35AM by SL Cabbie

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 02:03AM

Oh Yeah... ROFLMAO...

Repeat: What does genetics have to do with anthropology?

Human genetics is a small subset of anthropology.

Repeat: What qualifies a geneticist to speak to the subject of folklore?

(Google Jan Harold Brunvand, KW. He's an old mentor of mine)

Being a grad school refugee from the English department, I always fact check anything on genetics with Simon Southerton. He's the one who routinely shreds Rodney Meldrum, the "World's Greatest Bigfoot Authority," BTW.

Anyway, what you said here is %@!!$#!*, period...

>>We are, on average 3% Neanderthal, genetically, which is huge...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal_genetics

That figure is variable, from one to four percent... And that's only for Homo sapiens who have other than pure African ancestry.

Spoiler Alert: Elderolddog asked this question:

>>What do they call it when the same action is repeated over and over again, with the continued expectation that THIS TIME a different result will be obtained?

The answer--heard first in my beloved 12-Step Programs: Insanity...

I'm also wondering why you have so much trouble with the term, "Oral Tradition."

We're supposed to buy a bill of goods that an oral tradition involving Neanderthals--who were extinct by ~30,000 years ago--somehow "survived" for thirty millenia?

Seriously, if you believe that, I still have that beachfront property available on the Great Salt Lake.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2019 11:48AM by SL Cabbie.

Date: June 25, 2019 02:26AM

KW also wrote:

>>You act like there's zero percent chance of us having any kind of an inherited memory of past events encoded in our genes.

Damn straight there's no chance of an "inherited memory." If you're going to try to insist otherwise, I suggest a remedial course in neurobiology; DNA uses four "nucleotide bases" to encode genetic information; memories are storied in brain cells, known as neurons, which consist of a nerve cell, dendrites, and an axon. The nerve impulse is electrochemical; genetic information is passed on via biochemical processes.

(edited to correct typo)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2019 10:02PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 02:32AM

>...Rodney Meldrum, the "World's Greatest Bigfoot Authority," BTW.

Actually, Rodney Meldrum is a mopologist & advocate of the great lakes location for the BOM.

Jeffery Meldrum is the bigfoot man.

Date: June 25, 2019 02:46AM

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 03:11AM

So is disbelief in the Bigfoot narrative also embedded in our genes?

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 01:20PM

Neanderthals had religion, but whethee they got it before the Saps os another question.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.